The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

stratomaster
Does it look bad to oxbridge or any other top unis if you have a few Grade C's at gcse?

Based on educated speculation, I'd say that as kellywood_5 says, due to the way they work it out the major factor is the number of As and A*s. I would've thought that there's only 2 ways in which Cs or Bs can hurt you: 1) if you get so many of them that it looks dodgy (it will probably also follow that you won't have as many As and A*s); 2) if they're in a subject directly related to the one you want to study at university (even then there have been tales of people who got Bs/Cs in their chosen subj for uni at GCSE but still got in - although I'd imagine this is extremely rare)

You have v. similar GCSE grades to me (5A*s, 3 As and a C) and I'm more worried about my A in history than my C in maths!
*Bethany*
I looked at my school on there but I couldn't work out what the numbers meant :redface: what do they call it??

There should be a column somewhere saying 'average GCSE points score', but as a rough guide, it's usually about 60 for top independent schools, according to the Cambridge website.
*Bethany*
You have v. similar GCSE grades to me (5A*s, 3 As and a C) and I'm more worried about my A in history than my C in maths!

You would have thought an A at AS would be more important though, considering AS is harder, and you have an explanation for the A at GCSE :p:
kellywood_5
Yeah, it was Richard. I thought he was really nice too, and he told us loads of funny stories about people who completely messed up their interviews, like someone applying for SPS who didn't know there'd been a General Election!!! :rofl: :eek: I'm hoping for 280+ in sociology since my coursework was 55/60 and I was getting 54, 55 and 56/60 in mocks, but I doubt I'll get it in anything else. French would be great, but apparently it's really rare to get higher than 260 in that :frown:

I just thought of something; could you apply through CSAS? They say you're eligible if your schooling has been disrupted through illness, but I don't know how long-term they mean. It might have to be something life-threatening like cancer or something that's still happening now. Their access scheme is so vague! You're also eligible if very few people from your family and school/college have gone on to HE, but I don't know how few they mean; not that many people from my school go, but I wouldn't say it was 'very few.'

I get pretty bored in holidays actually, but I have a lot of reading and stuff to do in case I apply to Cambridge and get an interview, plus I need to choose my unis! What do you have planned? When do you break up? For me it's the 22nd, so another 2 weeks to go yet.

:laugh: he told us some stories like that too; did you hear the one when the girl applying for Biology wrote on her PS that she was particularly interested in the biology of fish, then was asked how they swim (fairly predictably) which apparently is a gift because you can discuss all these theories like buoyancy, but she said, "Oh, big fish sink to the bottom because they're heavier and little fish stay at the surface, so it's all evenly distributed"; then she was asked, "So how do the big fish swim up again?" and replied airily, "Oh well scientists don't know that because the fish go deeper than they can track" ...:eek: Sounds like you can't fail to do fabulously in Sociology; I know it's really hard to score highly in French, but when you think how bad a lot of people are, that an A grade can be 60% on the board and that you always score so highly in the mocks, I'm pretty confident you'll get a high score.

I know, I don't really understand what they're on about!! I'll just apply normally I think, and maybe get my tutor to mention in my reference that I was ill during the exams.

Same here, and I haven't started writing my statement yet and still have tons of reading to do before I can write it properly :redface:

I think I have another 2 weeks to go too :frown: Actually I usually get bored and depressed by the end of the holidays, but the beginning's always fun :biggrin: off on a non-exotic non-abroad ( :frown: ) family holiday, then a couple of parties and things planned but mainly just have to work and read...ah the joys :wink:
kellywood_5
You would have thought an A at AS would be more important though, considering AS is harder, and you have an explanation for the A at GCSE :p:

Oh yeah, if I get a high A in history AS I won't worry about the GCSE - but if I don't, I think I'm pretty much screwed
*Bethany*
:laugh: he told us some stories like that too; did you hear the one when the girl applying for Biology wrote on her PS that she was particularly interested in the biology of fish, then was asked how they swim (fairly predictably) which apparently is a gift because you can discuss all these theories like buoyancy, but she said, "Oh, big fish sink to the bottom because they're heavier and little fish stay at the surface, so it's all evenly distributed"; then she was asked, "So how do the big fish swim up again?" and replied airily, "Oh well scientists don't know that because the fish go deeper than they can track" ...:eek: Sounds like you can't fail to do fabulously in Sociology; I know it's really hard to score highly in French, but when you think how bad a lot of people are, that an A grade can be 60% on the board and that you always score so highly in the mocks, I'm pretty confident you'll get a high score.

I know, I don't really understand what they're on about!! I'll just apply normally I think, and maybe get my tutor to mention in my reference that I was ill during the exams.

Same here, and I haven't started writing my statement yet and still have tons of reading to do before I can write it properly :redface:

I think I have another 2 weeks to go too :frown: Actually I usually get bored and depressed by the end of the holidays, but the beginning's always fun :biggrin: off on a non-exotic non-abroad ( :frown: ) family holiday, then a couple of parties and things planned but mainly just have to work and read...ah the joys :wink:

I'll help you with your P/S :smile: ...tons of reading? Like what?

Do what I did... say you've read books you haven't :biggrin:

Then read them over the year. Nobody's the wiser!
Reply 46
Onearmedbandit
I'll help you with your P/S :smile: ...tons of reading? Like what?

Do what I did... say you've read books you haven't :biggrin:

Then read them over the year. Nobody's the wiser!

what if they asked you in-depth questions about the book? then what would you do? not such a wise thing to do is it. :rolleyes:
Whizz Kid
what if they asked you in-depth questions about the book? then what would you do? not such a wise thing to do is it. :rolleyes:

I assume you mean at interview, which is usually only at Oxbridge. If this is the case then obviously you make sure you know the books before the interview :rolleyes: Doesn't take a prospective law student to work that out, mate.
Onearmedbandit
I assume you mean at interview, which is usually only at Oxbridge. If this is the case then obviously you make sure you know the books before the interview :rolleyes: Doesn't take a prospective law student to work that out, mate.

Some people eh :rolleyes:.

Joke...:wink:

Michael
*Bethany*

Lol yeah, he told us that one too. There goes the myth that all Oxbridge applicants are intelligent! I'll be happy with any kind of an A in French considering the others at my school will probably get Ds at best, but it would be nice to get a reasonable A rather than scraping one. I did think the exams we did were slightly harder than the past papers, so hopefully that will mean even lower grade boundaries this year.

Definitely get your tutor to mention your illness; that's what references are for.

I have a draft copy of my statement written, but I'll need to change it after I've actually done all the reading I've said I'll do and it needs some improvements anyway. I've sent it to a fair few people on :tsr: to have a look at, so hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

Ooooh, holiday sounds good. Where are you going?
Reply 50
make sure you do a relevant work experience, i didnt realise this was basically esential till it was too late, so now after doing my pointless work ex(although i ahve got a job out of it lol) i'm taking two weeks out my summer to work at my local solictiors just so i can write it on my UCAS damn my school for making us apply for work e from SepY11 for July at the end lol
Random one
I'm still awaiting my GCSE results, and I wanted to just ask if anyone knew how the universities look at the GCSE results..

Do universities always look for the people who got A*s in everything? Because judging by the number of people on here who seem to have achieved 10A*s or more, I am feeling quite undermined, thinking that they will get all the top universities.

I mean, if someone for example got mostly Bs, and a few As, and another person got A*s, As Bs and Cs, who would the university consider?

Do any top unis accept people who do not have all A stars?

noooooooooooo, not another one!!!
:mad:
Reply 52
kellywood_5

not everyone declares there AS results so it is hard for the Uni to use this as a factor as it is unfair for this reason
iceberg_1
not everyone declares there AS results so it is hard for the Uni to use this as a factor as it is unfair for this reason

If you apply to Cambridge, they send you a questionnaire after you apply asking for all your AS unit UMS marks, so would you have to fill it in even if you'd declined your grades? It's really unfair if you don't.
kellywood_5
If it helps, my school's average GCSE points score is about 30 (46% A*-C), so I should get 2.7 added on, and if it's 20, you get 4 added. You should be able to find the statistics for your school somewhere on the DfES website.

Do you have a link to this section on the website? I can't seem to find it :redface:
Reply 55
stratomaster
Do you have a link to this section on the website? I can't seem to find it :redface:

This isn't the actual link, but it should help you get what you need:smile:
Thanks visesh

This is the page I found:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/cgi-bin/performancetables/fetch_04.pl?Postcode=M6+8FR&Dist=1&Phase=1&X=0&Mode=Z&F=1&L=200

My school was Buile Hill High school. It says 29% (5 or more grades A*-C). Is this right?
Reply 57
looks right to me:smile:
stratomaster
Thanks visesh

This is the page I found:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/cgi-bin/performancetables/fetch_04.pl?Postcode=M6+8FR&Dist=1&Phase=1&X=0&Mode=Z&F=1&L=200

My school was Buile Hill High school. It says 29% (5 or more grades A*-C). Is this right?

Whoa, that is low! :eek: For my school it's 46% and I worked out that I should get 2.7 points added, so for yours it will probably be 4 points. That would give you a total score of 10.2, better than someone with 10 A*s from a top school :wink:
Reply 59
My school has 58% (5 or more grades A*-C).

Latest