The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Southampton for Mech Eng???

Hi,

I currently have offers from both Soton and Shef for their MechEng courses and am undecided on which to place where when it comes to deciding on firm and insurance... My offer from Shef is ABB, which is lower than their general offer (AAB). Soton is offering AAA.

I loved Shef, everything abt it; accommodation, eng dept, city, buildings/ feel of the city. And when I visited Soton, I didn't feel too great about the place...

I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on the whole lower offer thing; Shef ABB (norm AAB) and Soton AAA. I dont want to end up going to Shef and the course not to be stimulating/challenging. Will this lower grade boundary cause that? Or (to uni students atm) cause you to challenge yourself at uni eg pushing yourself harder than other people do??

xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The lower grade requirements just means the course is less competitive at Sheffield, not that it is easier. Though personally, I would pick Soton. It has a very good reputation for engineering. But if you don't think you'll enjoy it there then go to Sheffield. :smile:
Reply 2
I was making that choice about four years ago now. I chose Southampton, despite not finding the open day very good (I applied twice for university - the first time round I didn't even bother applying to Southampton as I was so unimpressed by the open day). Since being there I've loved it - in all honesty not that keen on the course (again Mech Eng) but more because I find it a little bit too far from practical engineering. I've no idea whether I'd say the same about Sheffield had I gone there. Everything else has been great - really like the university, made some great friends, enjoy the local night life and basically enjoy my time there. It's not really somewhere I'd see myself sticking around after being a student though. In my case I had one factor that influenced my decision - the opportunites for sailing are miles better in Southampton and they haven't disappointed me so far..
Reply 3
Either one because both are very good. Soton's higher grades might give you coursemates that are more driven, but you are very unlikely to be surrounded by dummies at Sheffield. The courses at both unis are going to be challenging and the lower grade boundary is very unlikely to result in an easier course in this particular case, and as such, those who don't push themselves enough will likely drop out regardless of entry grades.
Reply 4
Thank you very much everyone for responding...

Your inputs have given me a bit of peace of mind and I think I will probably choose Sheff over Soton =]

x
Reply 5
Good choice, I've been at Sheffield for 1 semester now. It is very challenging, well taught and a great uni. Sheffield is fab too.
Good luck
Reply 6
soton
Reply 7
Being a Aerospace Engineering student at Sheffield Uni i must say that i wouldn't ever consider other uni to study. The only con i see is that is really far away from London and surely is a boring trip. Other than that the prices here end up being cheaper than in Southampton especially regarding room price/quality and the energy prices as well.

The university has really good resources and the students union was rated (again) the number 1 in the UK. I have mechanical engineering lectures and i think that the course is highly competitive. Now in this second year most people are struggling but it clearly was the challenge we were expecting to find. The laboratories are very good and have nice conditions.
The university is simply huge and has really loads of departments on research especially engineering in general. Most emphasis is being put on materials engineering and thermodynamics.

They always end up modifying the programmes every year in order to give students the most up to date sciences.

At the time i was applying i remember seeing somewhere that Liverpool had better Labs but in the end i think that Sheffield beats it.

I've been in to the uni of Liverpool 1 time and have a mate in aerospace engineering there... I found it nice but not as impressive as Sheffield fore sure. And i've been to the uni of Southampton 3 times as i have a close friend studying nursing there and i found it good as well. One good thing about it in my point of view, is that its near the sea. =)

Other than those factors.. i am Sheffield all the way!
Reply 8
Epic dredge..

I'm in pretty much the same position as the OP. except 3 years later.

I was just wondering if things have changed at all since '09. I wasn't over impressed with Southampton, the campus seemed a bit dead and was not overwhelmed by any means.

On the other hand, Sheffield really impressed me: i really liked the city and all the labs.

So, you say, Sheffield is the obvious choice....you don't like S'ton, you do life sheffield.. go there.

But, I've heard that S'ton has a better reputation for mech eng, not to mention the higher grade boundary (A*AA as opposed to AAA).

So, Is southampton a nice place to be a student/live?
Which one 'sounds better', engineering at southampton or engineering at sheffield?

Thanks
Any perceived differences in reputation between two overall very strong engineering departments by the 17 year olds on here isn't actually going to make the slightest bit of difference to your employability prospects, so go where you feel you liked the best.
Original post by Smack
Any perceived differences in reputation between two overall very strong engineering departments by the 17 year olds on here isn't actually going to make the slightest bit of difference to your employability prospects, so go where you feel you liked the best.

One thing I'll add is this: Different universities have different connections and may lead you towards a certain career. Of course, it's not a guarantee that you'll make it into/be stuck in that career path, but you could use it to your advantage through their contacts. For example, one university I visited had strong ties with power companies and the railway industry. Another one with aerospace. Another one with certain automotive companies (we had a McLaren come and park outside our building the other day whilst they gave a talk).

If you have to pick between two, this is something to consider. I don't really want to be focused on thinking about designing trains, so I opted for the university with a harrier in its basement and close ties to the companies I want to work for.
Reply 11
Original post by SillyEddy
One thing I'll add is this: Different universities have different connections and may lead you towards a certain career. Of course, it's not a guarantee that you'll make it into/be stuck in that career path, but you could use it to your advantage through their contacts. For example, one university I visited had strong ties with power companies and the railway industry. Another one with aerospace. Another one with certain automotive companies (we had a McLaren come and park outside our building the other day whilst they gave a talk).

If you have to pick between two, this is something to consider. I don't really want to be focused on thinking about designing trains, so I opted for the university with a harrier in its basement and close ties to the companies I want to work for.

loughborough?
Original post by a10
loughborough?

I wish! I go to Coventry. Our maths support centres operate off the same network though!
Reply 13
I wish! I go to Coventry. Our maths support centres operate off the same network though!

coventry is still a decent uni. Loughborough have a huge fighter jet inside their aero department. Im guessing your doing aero? are you first year of BEng/MEng?
Original post by a10
coventry is still a decent uni. Loughborough have a huge fighter jet inside their aero department. Im guessing your doing aero? are you first year of BEng/MEng?

I'm doing mechanical BEng first year... Then hopefully MSc Aerospace at a more reputable university (using Coventry as a leg-up). A couple of nice looking flight simulators down there too. Sometimes they have a pizza and flying evening - I don't think anyone other than aerospace are invited though :frown: (I'll have to pester the SU).

It's a good university though. It is one which really debunks the whole "If it's not Russell, it's not worth bothering with" ideology that some people have. The new building is still being finished this year (we're still using it though, but it won't be completely finished until Easter or so). A cool £50M+ spent on us engineers does make us feel quite proud!
Reply 15
I'm doing mechanical BEng first year... Then hopefully MSc Aerospace at a more reputable university (using Coventry as a leg-up). A couple of nice looking flight simulators down there too. Sometimes they have a pizza and flying evening - I don't think anyone other than aerospace are invited though :frown: (I'll have to pester the SU).

It's a good university though. It is one which really debunks the whole "If it's not Russell, it's not worth bothering with" ideology that some people have. The new building is still being finished this year (we're still using it though, but it won't be completely finished until Easter or so). A cool £50M+ spent on us engineers does make us feel quite proud!

Yeahh i know its not all about Russel group but a lot of people seem to think so and think if you get the same degree from a non RG your crap or they undermine you yet its the same degree haha.

How are you planning on getting funding for MSc in aerospace? Im assuming you want to be an engineer at the company you are going to work for, if you are then an MEng is better suited for this so i would just do the MEng in mechanical...and also its hard to get sponsorship for the MSc year but if u do get i dont see why you shouldn't do it.

What companies you looking at working for? Rolls-Royce? BAE Systems? Airbus?
Original post by a10
Yeahh i know its not all about Russel group but a lot of people seem to think so and think if you get the same degree from a non RG your crap or they undermine you yet its the same degree haha.

How are you planning on getting funding for MSc in aerospace? Im assuming you want to be an engineer at the company you are going to work for, if you are then an MEng is better suited for this so i would just do the MEng in mechanical...and also its hard to get sponsorship for the MSc year but if u do get i dont see why you shouldn't do it.

What companies you looking at working for? Rolls-Royce? BAE Systems? Airbus?

Placement year, ideally. That will likely fund it. I doubt I'm in a position to get full funding - I'm optimistic, but realistically I'm not a First class student. If I get the placement, I'll go for the master's. If not, I'll save up for a bit. I'm really interested in Manchester university at the moment... And that's £7,200 a year for Aerospace.

I'd rather do the MSc than an MEng. I'd like the variety and I'd like to think I have a full postgraduate degree. But hey, it's a while off still. No major preference who to work for just yet... Bentley is very local to me, so are Jaguar/Landrover. JCB suited my buddy too. BAE/Rolls Royce/MBDA etc. Some of them are willing to help fund students through their latter years of university with grants - Hopefully that will extend to the master's degree as well.

I have a solid 12 months before any of this happens though. I'm making preparations, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply 17
Placement year, ideally. That will likely fund it. I doubt I'm in a position to get full funding - I'm optimistic, but realistically I'm not a First class student. If I get the placement, I'll go for the master's. If not, I'll save up for a bit. I'm really interested in Manchester university at the moment... And that's £7,200 a year for Aerospace.

I'd rather do the MSc than an MEng. I'd like the variety and I'd like to think I have a full postgraduate degree. But hey, it's a while off still. No major preference who to work for just yet... Bentley is very local to me, so are Jaguar/Landrover. JCB suited my buddy too. BAE/Rolls Royce/MBDA etc. Some of them are willing to help fund students through their latter years of university with grants - Hopefully that will extend to the master's degree as well.

I have a solid 12 months before any of this happens though. I'm making preparations, but we'll just have to wait and see.

£7.2k wow thats expensive..thats why im aiming to do an MEng after the foundation year...it sucks that i forced to apply for the f.y first but i may email the universities to ask if i do achieve the grades for first year entry could i start the first year course if not ill just do the f.y. then progress afterwards and do an MEng but i will have to find a way of getting some sort of funding for the f.y. as student finance only accounts for 4 years max i think.

Good Luck broo im sure you will find a solution. Im going to have engineering work experience at airbus soon and im currently waiting for rolls-royce to also accept me for their work experience (fingers crossed). Im applying for mechanical but im liking civil eng(the design aspects as i think there's more design than in mechanical also i didnt like the sound of the heat stuff in mechanical sounded boring but i liked the other modules).
Original post by a10
£7.2k wow thats expensive..thats why im aiming to do an MEng after the foundation year...it sucks that i forced to apply for the f.y first but i may email the universities to ask if i do achieve the grades for first year entry could i start the first year course if not ill just do the f.y. then progress afterwards and do an MEng but i will have to find a way of getting some sort of funding for the f.y. as student finance only accounts for 4 years max i think.

Good Luck broo im sure you will find a solution. Im going to have engineering work experience at airbus soon and im currently waiting for rolls-royce to also accept me for their work experience (fingers crossed). Im applying for mechanical but im liking civil eng(the design aspects as i think there's more design than in mechanical also i didnt like the sound of the heat stuff in mechanical sounded boring but i liked the other modules).

Well, I'm paying £9k fees at the moment, so it would be a discount! Virgin Trains were doing an offer for £30 or £50 a week first class on the mainline up to Manchester and back, which I would be able to take... Meals included! So Manchester would be a great choice for me, and I might be able to live at home.

The thermofluids stuff isn't bad. It's basically AS/A2 physics... Or at least, it is those sorts of questions. Engineering Mathematics is one of my modules which is a bit of a bugger... It's all the maths type stuff I've never done before. A fair bit of design work too. The labs and application stuff is quite interesting - I just finished a 9 hour CAD workshop last week, and soon I'll be doing an engine rebuild and building bridges. The first year is just to get people up to the same level... The second year is really where the degree starts.
Reply 19
Well, I'm paying £9k fees at the moment, so it would be a discount! Virgin Trains were doing an offer for £30 or £50 a week first class on the mainline up to Manchester and back, which I would be able to take... Meals included! So Manchester would be a great choice for me, and I might be able to live at home.

The thermofluids stuff isn't bad. It's basically AS/A2 physics... Or at least, it is those sorts of questions. Engineering Mathematics is one of my modules which is a bit of a bugger... It's all the maths type stuff I've never done before. A fair bit of design work too. The labs and application stuff is quite interesting - I just finished a 9 hour CAD workshop last week, and soon I'll be doing an engine rebuild and building bridges. The first year is just to get people up to the same level... The second year is really where the degree starts.

did u do maths at a-level? and thats what i prefer i like doing lab stuff or practical stuff like projects as opposed to sitting in lectures 24/7 learning about stuff. Ahh right so your living at home atm? Im applying to manchester :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest