The Student Room Group

help for choosing universities for electronic enigneering

hi
im an oversea student from Paraguay and ive got offers for Electronic engneering from:
Southampton MEng AAA
Bristol MEng AAB
Loughborough BEng BBC

career prospectus would probably be one of the most consideration for me, but from the information that i get from the internet, they all seemed equally good:s-smilie:

im gonna hav to choose one for firm and one for insurance, any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
should have applide to queens in belfast..its amazing for electronic engineering
Reply 2
EoghanM
should have applide to queens in belfast..its amazing for electronic engineering

Thx for the post:smile:
o ok, i just made my application according to the Times table, and i didnt see the queens :s-smilie:
besides these 3, ive applied to oxford and ICL, i was interviewed in oxford, and still waiting for my post, and acknowledged in ICL. but i probably wont go ICL anyway, since it is so expensive for international students.
Reply 3
sonyhan
hi
im an oversea student from Paraguay and ive got offers for Electronic engneering from:
Southampton MEng AAA
Bristol MEng AAB
Loughborough BEng BBC

career prospectus would probably be one of the most consideration for me, but from the information that i get from the internet, they all seemed equally good:s-smilie:

im gonna hav to choose one for firm and one for insurance, any suggestions?

Out of those three I would rank them as follows:-

1) Bristol : Benefits from good overall image
2) Southampton: Good Electronics Engineering Department
3) Loughborough: ....
Reply 4
Soton has by far the best EEE department in the country, on par with Oxbridge and Imperial but in terms of future prospects, its nowhere near as good as Bristol and neither is Loughborough. All three are pretty good but Bristol edges them out slightly.
Reply 5
sonyhan
Thx for the post:smile:
o ok, i just made my application according to the Times table, and i didnt see the queens :s-smilie:
besides these 3, ive applied to oxford and ICL, i was interviewed in oxford, and still waiting for my post, and acknowledged in ICL. but i probably wont go ICL anyway, since it is so expensive for international students.

what are your grades like?
Reply 6
EoghanM
what are your grades like?

my predicted score is AAA, including Maths, Physics and Furthur Maths,
in my AS-level, I got A-Maths, A-Physics, A-Chemistry, B-Computing
Reply 7
sonyhan
my predicted score is AAA, including Maths, Physics and Furthur Maths,
in my AS-level, I got A-Maths, A-Physics, A-Chemistry, B-Computing

thats really good:biggrin:
Reply 8
EoghanM
thats really good:biggrin:

haha thanks
im gonna ring oxford to see if im offered a place there, if they do, i probably dun have to worry about which uni to choose any more:p:
but if i just get rejected, then i have make decision among these 3 unis
Reply 9
kingxlr8
Out of those three I would rank them as follows:-

1) Bristol : Benefits from good overall image
2) Southampton: Good Electronics Engineering Department
3) Loughborough: ....

oh i see, and how is loughborough then??
i saw them on the 4th at the EEE ranking
and would there be much different for BEng and MEng??
i can still continue for my postgrade there if i want right??
Reply 10
sonyhan
oh i see, and how is loughborough then??
i saw them on the 4th at the EEE ranking
and would there be much different for BEng and MEng??
i can still continue for my postgrade there if i want right??

I agree with the fact that Loughborough are good in terms on EEE rankings, but they don't have the international reputation which I believe to be very important. (Being an international student my self). That is why you should not opt for Loughborough when you have offer from Bristol.

Yes you can continue for post graduate. Actually you can shift either way, from BEng to MEng and viceversa.:smile:
Reply 11
tanzeel
Soton has by far the best EEE department in the country, on par with Oxbridge and Imperial but in terms of future prospects, its nowhere near as good as Bristol and neither is Loughborough. All three are pretty good but Bristol edges them out slightly.

You are talking out of your arse. Please stop.
Reply 12
kingxlr8
I agree with the fact that Loughborough are good in terms on EEE rankings, but they don't have the international reputation which I believe to be very important. (Being an international student my self). That is why you should not opt for Loughborough when you have offer from Bristol.

Yes you can continue for post graduate. Actually you can shift either way, from BEng to MEng and viceversa.:smile:

O ok, i see, so i should probably choose bristol as my firm, and loughborough as insurance?? since southampton required higher grade than bristol
Reply 13
sonyhan
O ok, i see, so i should probably choose bristol as my firm, and loughborough as insurance?? since southampton required higher grade than bristol

That sounds right, but as you have more time, research stuff a bit and think about it more, may be you have a change of mind.:smile:
Reply 14
kingxlr8
That sounds right, but as you have more time, research stuff a bit and think about it more, may be you have a change of mind.:smile:

yeh thanks :smile:
btw i just received my rejection letter from oxford yesterday:s-smilie:
Reply 15
sonyhan
yeh thanks :smile:
btw i just received my rejection letter from oxford yesterday:s-smilie:

Sorry to hear about Oxford, I was too disappointed on my rejection, but I have my fingers crossed for Imperial.:smile:
Reply 16
kingxlr8
Sorry to hear about Oxford, I was too disappointed on my rejection, but I have my fingers crossed for Imperial.:smile:

yeh thanks:smile:
btw would u mind to tell me what and where do u study??
Reply 17
sonyhan
yeh thanks:smile:
btw would u mind to tell me what and where do u study??

I am in the same position as you. I am applying for entry in 2010 for Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I applied to:-

Oxford
Imperial
UCL
Manchester University
Warwick.

And I have offers from all my choices except Oxford which rejected me after interview (on phone).:frown:
Reply 18
kingxlr8
I am in the same position as you. I am applying for entry in 2010 for Electrical and Electronics Engineering. I applied to:-

Oxford
Imperial
UCL
Manchester University
Warwick.

And I have offers from all my choices except Oxford which rejected me after interview (on phone).:frown:

o i see, it was really nice to hear from people in same situation :smile:
where are you from??
Reply 19
sonyhan
o i see, it was really nice to hear from people in same situation :smile:
where are you from??

Originally I am from Pakistan but, have lived the majority of my life in UAE:smile:

Latest