Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Digitalis' Awesome Thread of Textbooks

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm invading by posting here, but I have a quick question.

How important is it getting the most up-to-date edition? Is getting an edition behind, if it's a lot cheaper, common? I understand it may be more important for clinical textbooks rather than science ones.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabie)
    cool, thanks
    any chance you know if neuroscience by paradiso is any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neuroscience...8530440&sr=1-1
    I like this book. Explains everything very well.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    x
    Thanks for these reviews digitalis. How much detail do these anatomy colouring books go into? I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Colo.../dp/0805350861
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

How important is it getting the most up-to-date edition? Is getting an edition behind, if it's a lot cheaper, common? I understand it may be more important for clinical textbooks rather than science ones.
    rarely does it make a difference in science ones.
    In clinical ones however guidelines can change quite a lot between issues.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    rarely does it make a difference in science ones.
    In clinical ones however guidelines can change quite a lot between issues.
    Thanks much appreciated!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Thanks for these reviews digitalis. How much detail do these anatomy colouring books go into? I was thinking of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Colo.../dp/0805350861
    I'm not convinced by these, others swear by them. I would say that their aim is to make things easier to remember as you are actively doing something (colouring) as you try to memorise where the structures are, but definitely not useful on their own. Need to supplement with Gray's/Grants etc.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    I'm not convinced by these, others swear by them. I would say that their aim is to make things easier to remember as you are actively doing something (colouring) as you try to memorise where the structures are, but definitely not useful on their own. Need to supplement with Gray's/Grants etc.

Cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any opinions on :
    Basic Pathology - Robbins , Contran , Kumar
    Basis of Pathology - Robbins, Contran , Kumar

Which do you find 'better' ?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iq101)
    Any opinions on :
    Basic Pathology - Robbins , Contran , Kumar
    Basis of Pathology - Robbins, Contran , Kumar

Which do you find 'better' ?
    Depends whether you're looking for lots of detail or not.

If you're a detail person, Pathologic Basis of Disease will be better for you. If you're not, Basic Pathology will be better.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Berne and Levy :love:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)

A professor I knew said as a basic rule of thumb that if the book was post-Marshall and Warren then it was probably still viable! Slightly flippant, but probably a fair amount of truth to it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    just thought i'd pop by and recommend neuroanatomy through clinical cases by blumenfeld

cost a lot (£50) but worth it imo

soz to hijack digitalis :bigsmile:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the Patton Anatomy and Physiology book is any good, this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Phys...2844423&sr=8-1
    Its on our essential list (for dentistry though) but does anyone know if it goes into enough detail etc before I buy it?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've got £15 to spend on a certain website, and have identified this book. Thoughts on it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi every one
    i am new to this forum, and i have a very imp. detailed research in General surgery nowadays about" liver Trauma if anyone can help with online resources, I really appreciate your help
    I hope that i posted in the right forum
    Thanks in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Okay, I've got £15 to spend on a certain website, and have identified this book. Thoughts on it?
    Personally, I would choose Flash Cards over Coloring but yes Netter's the best out there for me !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I bought it to supplement my flash cards and my various anatomy textbooks, i think i coloured in one page before i gave it to one of my friends. It really depends on how you learn, if your a kinesthetic learner go for it. It's really basic and not highly detailed with little info on form on function. I personally prefer Netter's flash cards (as it has details on origin, insertion, etc) + a book like Gray's Anatomy for students 2nd ed. or Clinically Orientated Anatomy by Moore and Dalley.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quick question,

where do you people buy books? Is there anywhere you recommend?

Also do you actually feel the need ot buy?

In my undergrad I bought 3/4 books and really only used 1 and just used the library for the rest.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a lot about the flash cards, which one do you think is better, netters or grays?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzone)
    I've heard a lot about the flash cards, which one do you think is better, netters or grays?
    There's a recent discussion here. However, wait til you get to uni before buying anything. No point buying flash cards if you discover that you learn anatomy best from other methods.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 7, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.