The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Places like japan have cheeper internet probably because there government censors half of the stuff people want to see.
KieranDJ
Places like japan have cheeper internet probably because there government censors half of the stuff people want to see.

I think you're thinking of China there.
Reply 62
FinalFan3
I think you're thinking of China there.

China also, But Japan still censor alot of content, along with many other countries.
Liverpool F.C.™
Don't worry mines not all that either.

Ahem....
This is when I'm signed up for an up to 8Mbps connection. Orange are really doing us up the arse with this service.
Wednesday Bass

Ahem....
This is when I'm signed up for an up to 8Mbps connection. Orange are really doing us up the arse with this service.

:mmm:
Reply 65
HDS
Oh ffs, stop bitching about copper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_bitrate_digital_subscriber_line

Copper can handle higher speeds than most people have, it isn't a 3mbps line.

You don't NEED FO for 100+Mb/s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uni-DSL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDSL2
:rolleyes:

DURR WE NEED FIBAR UPTAC.

No, we don't, we need updated copper service at the moment, because FYI typical Fibre Optic service isn't PON FO service and thus won't reach PON speeds.

The problem you have is that the upgraded copper services still have the same problem as we always will have if you are on a copper line. If you are too far away from the exchange (i.e. 2-3 miles, like I am), your speed is crippled to around 2 Mbps off peak, despite the 8Mbps connection. That's a 75% loss in bandwidth speed, only considering off peak usage!!

Fibre optic lines have the potnetial to go to 150Mbps plus and there is an increased range to the nearest exchange. In addition, the actual speeds that you are getting are within 85% of the connection speed that you subscribed to in off peak traffic. Yes, it's coaxial cable to the home, but it's still fibre optic to the switch box down the road, meaning that the copper only carries the connection for about 500 yards a the very most.

Proof of my claims on the percentage. I'm on a 10 Mbps line and 512 Kbps upload speed (the real reason why the internet is so slow).
Liverpool F.C.™
:mmm:

Then again, I don't know if my brothers downloading in the other room. Either way, the wireless connection from the Orange router is the worst I've ever encountered. My computer is literally about 5 metres in a straight line through the floor to the router, and I get dropped frequently on my PC and laptop.

But according to my dad there's nothing wrong with the router, it must be the 4/5 wireless adapters that are broken :facepalm:
Reply 67
Mainly because BT can't be arsed to upgrade their network, the government (labour) is pandering to the poor to get votes (phone line tax!) and not putting pressure on BT to upgrade the network at BT's expense.

Virgin don't factor in as much because they actually offer fibre connections but it's on thier network with less penetration than BT (most broadband providers, even good ones like O2/Be use the BT network) so it's all lumped onto BT who, as a privately owned company, are thinking more about thier profits than thier users.
ChrisBan
I have a 9.70mbps download rate according to that website, should be 15! At some points in the day it is pretty shocking, I suspect it is about half that again at 5-6pm when everyone in the area gets home from work!

It's not all about fibre! When I was with Virgin Media up where my uni were, I had a really rubbish connection (was paying for 20 mb/s). For something like 2-3 weeks, the connection was averaging between 200 kb/s and 6 mb/s). I was once able to get speeds of 2.4 mB/s (not Megabytes in this case, not Megabits) but on the whole the connection would drop, be slow, provide excellent (i.e. huge amounts) of packet loss, etc.

I'm on my placement now (in Bedford) and I'm with O2 (on the Be network). I can do a speed test at any time of day and get pretty much this speed (which is about right for my distance from the telephone exchange):

Maybe when it's fibre to the door, things'll be better. But for now, if it doesn't work right, Virgin Media don't care - no matter how many times you complain.

Also, my dedicated server gets:
Reply 70
John@Staffs
It's not all about fibre! When I was with Virgin Media up where my uni were, I had a really rubbish connection (was paying for 20 mb/s). For something like 2-3 weeks, the connection was averaging between 200 kb/s and 6 mb/s). I was once able to get speeds of 2.4 mB/s (not Megabytes in this case, not Megabits) but on the whole the connection would drop, be slow, provide excellent (i.e. huge amounts) of packet loss, etc.

I'm on my placement now (in Bedford) and I'm with O2 (on the Be network). I can do a speed test at any time of day and get pretty much this speed (which is about right for my distance from the telephone exchange):

Sweet! I think we are switching to O2 in the next few weeks!!:biggrin:
Reply 71
Chaz_Hack_Rabbit
Mainly because BT can't be arsed to upgrade their network, the government (labour) is pandering to the poor to get votes (phone line tax!) and not putting pressure on BT to upgrade the network at BT's expense.

Virgin don't factor in as much because they actually offer fibre connections but it's on thier network with less penetration than BT (most broadband providers, even good ones like O2/Be use the BT network) so it's all lumped onto BT who, as a privately owned company, are thinking more about thier profits than thier users.

It's not that they can't be arsed, it's that they can't afford to, particularly on a nationwide scale. NTL only installed their services in metropolitan areas and they went bankrupt because of it. I'm pretty sure BT don't want that to happen to them; they're a private sector commercial business, not a charity.
Reply 72
ChrisBan
Sweet! I think we are switching to O2 in the next few weeks!!:biggrin:

Don't get too excited. How far from the exchange are you?
Reply 73
Mad Vlad
Don't get too excited. How far from the exchange are you?

Well I think its planned for this week...
Reply 74
ChrisBan
Well I think its planned for this week...

Yeah, I was referring to the distance from the exchange in terms of what kind of speed you're likely to get. Don't think that by changing ISP you're instantly going to get ADSL2+ speeds out in the sticks.
Reply 75
Mad Vlad
Yeah, I was referring to the distance from the exchange in terms of what kind of speed you're likely to get. Don't think that by changing ISP you're instantly going to get ADSL2+ speeds out in the sticks.

Ohh right.. no no, that isn't the reason. We currently have Sky and they are putting the price up. Plus we don't want to have everything tied in to Sky
Reply 76
ChrisBan
Ohh right.. no no, that isn't the reason. We currently have Sky and they are putting the price up. Plus we don't want to have everything tied in to Sky

Ahh. :smile:
I agree with the posters on here, our government hasn't invested in our Broadband networks at all.

How about putting some of that money their paying that goon who keeps saying hes going to "stop illegal file sharing" into the county networks so we actually have the capacity to download illegal content in the first place!

When they introduce phone tax and broadband tax at £5 per month I'm going to cancel by Broadband because thats just disgusting, I'm already paying £10+ for a 20Mb connection when I'm only getting 1Mb on a good day!
Reply 78
it takes me 45 seconds to download a movie that's fine for me :smile:
Reply 79
DanielNewton
I agree with the posters on here, our government hasn't invested in our Broadband networks at all.

How about putting some of that money their paying that goon who keeps saying hes going to "stop illegal file sharing" into the county networks so we actually have the capacity to download illegal content in the first place!

When they introduce phone tax and broadband tax at £5 per month I'm going to cancel by Broadband because thats just disgusting, I'm already paying £10+ for a 20Mb connection when I'm only getting 1Mb on a good day!

why should the government invest, if there is a high enough demand for higher speed internet then the private markets will meet this demand; why should the government subsidise this.

Latest

Trending

Trending