The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me but you already knew that, why have you put October 2006 rather than September 2006, do Oxbridge students start a month later than usually?

BTW, I'm applying for Cambridge.
Reply 2
yep. I'm moving back to college on 1st October. So, there. Oxbridge kids are lazier than most major cities.
Reply 3
Camford
yep. I'm moving back to college on 1st October. So, there. Oxbridge kids are lazier than most major cities.

that has a ring to it:biggrin: - may catch on:cool:
Reply 4
me too, really really cant decide which though,
also, i dont know any girls who wanna do maths, whats the ratio of f/m at oxbridge for ppl doing maths?
Reply 5
In my college, 1:8
Reply 6
3:9 in mine

Reply 7
At my college it's more female than male next year.
I want to do maths, wow go me, the central area of Cambridge university is just so puurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty
Reply 9
For Oxford maths the F:M ratio is around the 40:60 mark.

For Cambridge maths it's around 20:80
Reply 10
If you're a girl, don't even think about doing Maths at Cambridge. It's still the worst department for women and not so long ago it was almost shut down. Even if you're extremely bright, it'll be a very hard slog just getting off the ground. No contest, pick Oxford.
Reply 11
Ticki
If you're a girl, don't even think about doing Maths at Cambridge. It's still the worst department for women and not so long ago it was almost shut down. Even if you're extremely bright, it'll be a very hard slog just getting off the ground. No contest, pick Oxford.

:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Though the ratios were asked for.
Reply 12
RichE
:rolleyes: :biggrin:

Though the ratios were asked for.

I just couldn't contain myself. :biggrin:

Well, I think you were about right when you said 20:80. That's just amongst undergrads though. There are even fewer female grads and hardly any female fellows.
Reply 13
Ticki
I just couldn't contain myself. :biggrin:

Well, I think you were about right when you said 20:80. That's just amongst undergrads though. There are even fewer female grads and hardly any female fellows.

My supervisor went to Cambridge so I know they've had some "ok" female mathmos. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Oh I'm sure they're good, it's just that the teaching is very much geared towards men so it's harder for women to do well in Tripos. It doesn't mean they're not very good mathematicians.

And perkyDani, before you jump on me in another PM, let me clarify that I'm not saying women are bad at maths, or that they shouldn't go to Cambridge, I'm just saying that the system doesn't do them any favours. I'm speaking as the Women's Union Women's Academic Performance Officer and a CUSU sabbatical officer. I know what I'm talking about, and I was trying to be helpful.

As to your comment that I couldn't possibly mean the department was going to be shut down, I did. Lots of universities are having to close departments across the country, and we ourselves nearly lost the Architecture department. It does happen.
Reply 15
how is the teaching biased? :|

I don't know why so few girls get in, the girls in my college are basically kicking the boys asses. And they have about 60% female applicants.
Reply 16
homoterror
how is the teaching biased? :|

I don't know why so few girls get in, the girls in my college are basically kicking the boys asses. And they have about 60% female applicants.

I wasn't aware that applications were a problem. Oh yuck, not more problems.

The teaching is biased because men and women have different styles of learning. Because supervisors don't have to go through supervisor training, not all of them are great teachers. Most of them are men, and they don't always know how to react if women are approaching problems differently. Because Cambridge students were traditionally men, their style is recognised as "right". If a woman doesn't take an approach her supervisor is familiar with, she can get left behind in supervisions.

This is Cambridge, most teaching is biased towards men. The fact that the Maths faculty has so few female fellows means that the problem is exacerbated here. That said, very few female undergrads choose to stay on, so we're not getting any more female fellows. Big problem, no clear solutions.

I'm off to Unique now. In my 'self respect's a bitch' Women's Union t-shirt. Ah Lex, you're missing out.
Reply 17
Hmm I see, I wouldn't say it's a male style of learning though, I'd just say it's a maths style of learning. Cambridge maths does require a certain brain, and the girls I know who are successful definitely have this mathsy brain.

UNIQUE?! Oh god I'm so jealous. I'd kill to be going to life tonight I miss it so much.
Reply 18
Yeah, what exactly does "the teaching is very much geared towards men " mean?

And, if there is such a thing as a sexually biased style and the Cambridge Maths course is guilty of it, it could be the case simply BECAUSE there is a large male majority...in which case the decision to teach in that way is logical. Also, surely one of the advantages of supervisions is that, in the intimate nature of them, students can be taught in a way to which they relate to most.

EDIT : Delayed post ^
Reply 19
Spenceman_
Yeah, what exactly does "the teaching is very much geared towards men " mean?

And, if there is such a thing as a sexually biased style and the Cambridge Maths course is guilty of it, it could be the case simply BECAUSE there is a large male majority...in which case the decision to teach in that way is logical. Also, surely one of the advantages of supervisions is that, in the intimate nature of them, students can be taught in a way to which they relate to most.

Well I agree that I don't think there is a particular male way of teaching maths. But equally I'm gobsmacked that you think the bold sentence - that a preponderence of male students would justify a male way of teaching: ALL students have a right to be catered to, university teaching isn't about mob rule.

I don't know what Cambridge Maths' problem is with the M:F ratio. The place is a lot more competitive between students than Ox is - that could be a factor. But good maths teaching I think goes down with the sexes equally. Rather some might have issues with understanding something because you think algberaically rather than geometrically. But that is a genderless distinction.

Frankly I'm :confused: over the whole matter

Latest

Trending

Trending