The Student Room Group

Is exam performance really related to attendance?

I've always questioned this.

My parents, schools/colleges and various studies always claim that if you go to school less often than you will not do as well in your exams.

I'm not saying I have a perfect academic record (academics in sig), but I'm still pleased with my exam results and I believe I achieved them mainly through self-study and revision from home.

At school my attendance was 80% and my overall attendance at college was a lowly 75%. This means on average I missed 2-3 lectures a week! Also, other students in my college were kicked out if their attendance fell below 80%. My tutor just took me to one side and said "put in a little more effort to turn up, please". :confused:

Is there anybody else on TSR who has had a poor attendance record, but decent academic results? I think exam performance is more about wanting to do well and revising than it is about how much time you spend in class. Although, I suppose it's a combination of both really.

Scroll to see replies

Depends on your course, and how well you understand the material.

In engineering, a high attendance is vital for all the numerical/analytical modules.

Occasionally we get a non numerical module, like something to do with business, management, strategies of design and manufacture, marketing or something like that where the exam and coursework doesn't have much, if any, of a numerical component. For these I've noticed that attendance to them all isn't really important. If they clearly state what they want for their essays then it's easy enough to do all your own research in your own time and still get a good enough mark.
Reply 2
It has no meaning on my course.

I attended almost every lecture and tutorial for one module last semester yet it seemed to be my hardest exam, compared with one I skipped half the lectures for which seemed to be an easier exam.

I suppose if you have poor revision technique then attending lectures will help.
Reply 3
Attendance to lectures means nothing. The fools who think daydreaming in a lecture theatre is of any use to them get **** marks. The students who make sure they are making progress (learning) whilst taking into account how they will be assessed get the top grades.
Reply 4
I think it's a mixed bag.

On one hand, I end up performing well in tests (with little to no preparation) based just on what I have learned from attending lectures.

While on the other hand, I've done well in tests despite having little to no attendance (less than 10% in case of Psychology) and just preparing by myself.
There's probably some sort of correlation. However, I had ~70% attendance at sixth form but still got 4As at A2. :dontknow:
Reply 6
Didn't make a difference to me. :dontknow:
Reply 7
I missed half of year 12 because I was badly ill (forty something percent attendance, I missed most of the jan exams and had to do them all in summer, then I got ill again so couldnt to f maths) though i still got 5 as at AS level (in physics biology chemistry maths and computer studies). Some subjects it doesn't matter so much but with stuff like maths taking time out makes things alot harder
Reply 8
You could always have got better, somehow.
Reply 9
There is generally a correlation, but one bloke in my year turned up for maybe 1 lesson a week but read the entire textbook the night before the exam and got an A
Can't speak for university, but generally speaking I think it's true that better attendance = better grades at college and school.

I missed a bit of college this year, and I had to teach myself the stuff, which was hard. It would have been much easier and I would have remembered things a lot more had I been in the lesson.
Reply 11
For my Econ module last June I barely turned up to any lessons after the initial few. I still walked out with an A.
It just depends on what suits your style of learning!
But it does help to have some theories explained at times.
I think my attendance at AS was 18% and for A2 0%...and I got 3 A grades. So go figure.
Reply 13
Smack
Depends on your course, and how well you understand the material.

In engineering, a high attendance is vital for all the numerical/analytical modules.

Occasionally we get a non numerical module, like something to do with business, management, strategies of design and manufacture, marketing or something like that where the exam and coursework doesn't have much, if any, of a numerical component. For these I've noticed that attendance to them all isn't really important. If they clearly state what they want for their essays then it's easy enough to do all your own research in your own time and still get a good enough mark.

I couldn't agree less. Why would you require the lecturer's opinion on the least subjective aspects of your course?
My attendance was freaking awful throughout school, and still is now that I'm at college. I go to classes that interest me, I skip the ones that don't. I'm happy with my results so far despite by lack of attendance, and I know some people who basically never miss a class and are less academically competent than someone who is there 3 days a week out of 5.

Obviously if you attend more classes/lectures, then the more information you're receiving and the better you're likely to do, but even if you don't attend the class, you can read the material at home (which is what I'm more inclined to do). It's more dependent on personal ability and effort.
Reply 15
That's because of your choice of subjects. If it was something like Mathematics of Physics you'll have a hard time to self-study (at least it ill take you longer; at worst you will understand everything the wrong way round). Well, imho better attending more class and less study then less classes and more study. That given you classmates are on par with you cause if they way behind you you'll find it frustrating attending lessons learning at a slow pace.
Reply 16
Haha everyone is making me laugh. "I got 15 As at A2 and never went to school" It's all a load of crap, of course you need to attend. People who do well with little or no attendance clearly have no respect for the education system and are ridiculoulsy smart. So please consider the average student not your brainy self. Yes it is important. Fact.
The reasonable notion is that more attendance means more access to the knowledge you need to effectively pass the exam, but it isn't a given. I've seen plenty of people skip more than they've attended, and they've passed fine - however, they studied outside class, obviously. When I did my A Levels, I had a lenient teacher who didn't take absences. One guy passed with an A and only showed up for the first week. Saying that, he was way too clever. I could never do it!
Reply 18
theBOON
That's because of your choice of subjects. If it was something like Mathematics of Physics you'll have a hard time to self-study (at least it ill take you longer; at worst you will understand everything the wrong way round)

Totally agree with you. At GCSE I studied a lot of humanities such as History and Geography and at A-level it was more useful for me to spend time on my own reading and revising research studies for subjects like English language and psychology.

My friend who did brilliantly at GCSE (mainly A*s) didn't turn up to hardly any Maths lectures and got a U at AS. Although, he went to almost every Biology lesson and got an A. Attendance is probably more crucial to sciences and maths.
Reply 19
Essay subjects are quite easy to teach yourself. However, my college requires 90% at least to progress into A2 year, I have 100% attendance, and I don't really feel as if "I could be doing this all at home". Besides, you miss out on the social side of a lesson and lose the dynamic between the group.

Latest

Trending

Trending