The Student Room Group

Portfolio isn't ready and I have 2 uni interviews next week :O!?

I am stressing out so bad, I have TWO uni interviews next week, one is on wed and the other is on thurs. Its for a BA(Hons) Graphic Design course and my portfolio is not ready at all!

I only have about 4 good pieces of drawing/painting A2/A1 size,
and only about 3 pieces of graphic final pieces that are pretty decent.
..but i do have about 6 filled sketch books with really good quality work in.

So if they saw high quality sketch books and only a few larger scale pieces, would this effect my chances of getting a place?

Also my first interview is at the University that was my first choice!
and im so scared im not going to get a place just because of my empty/rushed portfolio. :frown:
So i was thinking of changing this interview for a later date, do you think this will be acceptable? or is it too late to change? Its this wednesday :frown:

Thanks for any help.
CreativeGirl
I am stressing out so bad, I have TWO uni interviews next week, one is on wed and the other is on thurs. Its for a BA(Hons) Graphic Design course and my portfolio is not ready at all!

So if they saw high quality sketch books and only a few larger scale pieces, would this effect my chances of getting a place?

and im so scared im not going to get a place just because of my empty/rushed portfolio. :frown:
So i was thinking of changing this interview for a later date, do you think this will be acceptable? or is it too late to change? Its this wednesday :frown:

Thanks for any help.

Get working on it? you have a whole week....usually they are most interested in the sketchbooks and the thought behind pieces so you should be fine if there is a good spread of different work in there :yep:
Reply 2
RealityIsDull
Get working on it? you have a whole week....usually they are most interested in the sketchbooks and the thought behind pieces so you should be fine if there is a good spread of different work in there :yep:

i'm using all the free time i have to do drawings and graphic ideas,
and its made me less worry now to know that they like sketchbooks with the design development and experimental pieces in, as much as they like the final pieces. :smile: so thanks :biggrin:
Reply 3
so graphic design you're portfolio should actually contain quite a few photocopies of sketchbook work, showing initial ideas > experimentation > development etc. So like for one project you'd have 2/3 a1 sheets in you portfolio.

Also there's probably some work which you've done and probably wont like but your tutors will think has a lot of potential. This was said alot when I was sorting mine out last week.

Remember at this stage you don't have to have *brilliant* pieces of work. If you where perfect then there'd be no point in going to uni right?

Try to have a lot of different things in as well. I know its for graphic design but one of the main things the interviews will be looking for is basic drawing skills and creativity. Drawings, mixed media pieces, photography, 3d etc etc.
Reply 4
will...
so graphic design you're portfolio should actually contain quite a few photocopies of sketchbook work, showing initial ideas > experimentation > development etc. So like for one project you'd have 2/3 a1 sheets in you portfolio.

Also there's probably some work which you've done and probably wont like but your tutors will think has a lot of potential. This was said alot when I was sorting mine out last week.

Remember at this stage you don't have to have *brilliant* pieces of work. If you where perfect then there'd be no point in going to uni right?

Try to have a lot of different things in as well. I know its for graphic design but one of the main things the interviews will be looking for is basic drawing skills and creativity. Drawings, mixed media pieces, photography, 3d etc etc.

Thank you :smile: thats helped me quite a lot
If you need to fill up a few more pages put some photography in.
Reply 6
CreativeGirl

Thanks for any help.

Get cracking...you still have a week, you can do it :smile:
Reply 7
Ham22
where are the interviews?

if you have some less portfolio worthy work you could just put it in anyway. if you have the gift of the gab you could pull it off. that's what art schools seem to like. (bull sh*tters over actual substance). what i mean is, it's what you say about the work, rather than the actual work itself. although having total shi*t probably isn't going to be good.

Sheffield Hallam on wednesday & Hull on thursday :eek:

and yeah i see what your saying, thanks :smile:

and I suppose they judge you more on your creative ideas and the thought process that went into a final piece, even if the final piece isn't perfect.
Reply 8
petzneo
Get cracking...you still have a week, you can do it :smile:

aw thanks for the support :smile:
hull uni does graphic design? huh....i thought they didnt do any art related cources:/

Latest