um i'm gonna say glasgow just coz it rocks!!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
hannah_vet
um i'm gonna say glasgow just coz it rocks!!! :biggrin:

R u going there??
Reply 3
Cap'n Ruby
R u going there??

possibly, i've got 2 more interviews to do although glasgee is my fave at the moment.
with regards to choosing between ed and glas, one of the reasons picked glas to apply to rather than ed was because i read somewhere that edinburgh was one of the most expensive cities to live in as a student - which is a pretty big factor to consider. although you're scottish aren't you so uni is free. LOL well ignore that then
Reply 4
hannah_vet
possibly, i've got 2 more interviews to do although glasgee is my fave at the moment.
with regards to choosing between ed and glas, one of the reasons picked glas to apply to rather than ed was because i read somewhere that edinburgh was one of the most expensive cities to live in as a student - which is a pretty big factor to consider. although you're scottish aren't you so uni is free. LOL well ignore that then

lol yeah i am but also been thinking bout the money id be spending on fares just trying to get to the edinburgh 1 coz so far out, whereas wolfson halls at glasgow is a 30 minute walk(by google maps standards).
Reply 5
Cap'n Ruby
lol yeah i am but also been thinking bout the money id be spending on fares just trying to get to the edinburgh 1 coz so far out, whereas wolfson halls at glasgow is a 30 minute walk(by google maps standards).

yup plus think that you're gonna be wherever it is for 5 years so you need to be happy. to be honest if you really can't decide, then flip a coin (that's what my vet has said i should do) and if you're unhappy with the outcome, then choose the other :smile:
Reply 6
hannah_vet

For Scottish students, I would say that Edinburgh really isn't that expensive at all (not significantly more so than Glasgow). I lived in Glasgow and apart from bus fares and if you go to Starbucks for some food (although this may apply everywhere lol), I didn't think there was too much of a difference. I don't think it should influence a decision between unis.

And Edinburgh rules. :biggrin:
Just read through posts by me and FV and you'll see how much we love it here.
Glasgow all day every day.
Reply 8
Glasgow is probably more exciting city for a student, but personally I would choose Edinburgh. It has a far better reputation and I personally love the city.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply 9
Hi there :smile:. I'm Scottish as well, and also am lucky enough to have this choice to make.. Personally, I love Glasgow vet school. The small animal hospital is lovely. So I think you'll have a great time if you choose it :smile: But it means staying at home for me which I don't want to do. For that reason, I'm leaning towards Edinburgh- which no doubt will be lovely too.
Reply 10
Emzzzz:)x
Hi there :smile:. I'm Scottish as well, and also am lucky enough to have this choice to make.. Personally, I love Glasgow vet school. The small animal hospital is lovely. So I think you'll have a great time if you choose it :smile: But it means staying at home for me which I don't want to do. For that reason, I'm leaning towards Edinburgh- which no doubt will be lovely too.

Thanks

I've chosen glasgow as my firm n edinburgh as insurance. Were u at the edinburgh vet open day? n when were ur interviews?

Im just asking coz girl at my glasgow interview was from near glasgow n not sure if that was u.

bit of coincidink if it was
Reply 11
Cap'n Ruby
Thanks

I've chosen glasgow as my firm n edinburgh as insurance. Were u at the edinburgh vet open day? n when were ur interviews?

Im just asking coz girl at my glasgow interview was from near glasgow n not sure if that was u.

bit of coincidink if it was

I couldn't go on the Edinburgh vet school tour because I was in London but I went on of the Glasgow ones on their open day?
My Glasgow interview was the eighth of December and Edinburgh was the tenth :smile:. I have yet to choose my firm or insurance- change my mind constantly!
Reply 12
Glasgow all the way :yep:
GLASGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! It's a brilliant city and just so much fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my 5 years there. I too was lucky enough to be able to choose between Glasgow and Edinburgh and I just got such a lovely feeling when I was in Glasgow - and the vet school just seemed to really care about their students. It's more rough round the edges than Edinburgh in places I felt but it's just so friendly. The new small animal hospital is amazing. There are a lot of exams in years 1-3 at Glasgow but barely any written work. And by far the thing I loved the most was that the vet school isn't a million miles from the city centre. You aren't in the middle of nowhere - you can still go out and go to all the main uni events without spending a fortune in taxis. And from the west end (where the main uni is) it's only a short ride on the subway into town. I miss Glasgow like crazy now I've left. It is just a brilliant place to live in. And if you are a country bumpkin - Loch Lomond is 20 mins from the vet school.

The downside - it rains. A lot.
Reply 14
Emzzzz:)x
I couldn't go on the Edinburgh vet school tour because I was in London but I went on of the Glasgow ones on their open day?
My Glasgow interview was the eighth of December and Edinburgh was the tenth :smile:. I have yet to choose my firm or insurance- change my mind constantly!

very nearly SNAP!!!! Edinburgh was on eighth and glasgow on tenth.

may av seen u on open day in passing.
I only choose yesterday.
Reply 15
SlipperyWhenWet
GLASGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! It's a brilliant city and just so much fun. I thoroughly enjoyed my 5 years there. I too was lucky enough to be able to choose between Glasgow and Edinburgh and I just got such a lovely feeling when I was in Glasgow - and the vet school just seemed to really care about their students. It's more rough round the edges than Edinburgh in places I felt but it's just so friendly. The new small animal hospital is amazing. There are a lot of exams in years 1-3 at Glasgow but barely any written work. And by far the thing I loved the most was that the vet school isn't a million miles from the city centre. You aren't in the middle of nowhere - you can still go out and go to all the main uni events without spending a fortune in taxis. And from the west end (where the main uni is) it's only a short ride on the subway into town. I miss Glasgow like crazy now I've left. It is just a brilliant place to live in. And if you are a country bumpkin - Loch Lomond is 20 mins from the vet school.

The downside - it rains. A lot.

Same things i thought. What are exams like? Are u just sort of left to ur own devices alot teaching wise???
Edinburgh rough in places too, spent a lot of time there.

Im scottish, lol, rain doesn't faze me anymore
Reply 16
I agree. You live there, you learn to put up with the rain:rolleyes:
Cap'n Ruby
Same things i thought. What are exams like? Are u just sort of left to ur own devices alot teaching wise???
Edinburgh rough in places too, spent a lot of time there.

Im scottish, lol, rain doesn't faze me anymore

The exams in 1-3rd years are done just before xmas, just before easter and in May - the ones in May are the ones to pass. The others are known as 'class exams' and count like 8% each towards your final exam in May. If you study for these however, it does make your finals a whole lot easier. They are a mix of essays, multiple choice and short answer questions. And for anatomy there are practical exams too which is like a dog's leg in front of you with a pin in it and it says - name this muscle and the bones it attaches to. Fourth year exams - one just before easter covering farm and one in May which covers smallies and horses - which is possibly the worst exam you'll ever sit. Final year - it's all practical oral/stations. And nope a lot of the teaching is by lectures - learn the lectures and you'll pass the exams in 1st - 3rd year. After that it's time to read around the subject and think more as you have to learn to appoach problems clinically - not just saying what is in your lectures - you have to learn to use that knowledge. But that is a long way off for now ;-)

Hope that gives you a better idea!
Reply 18
Thank u!!!! yea that helps a lot. Gives me a better idea of what im letting myself in for.
Despite the fact my view doesn't count for much I'll put my word in in. . .

DICK VET!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!

As LDVet said, we love it :smile:

xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending