The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

freakumdress23
What as/a-levels are you currently studying?

I really want to do medicine but I'm not sure I'll get the grades :frown:

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: (currently in y11)

thinking of:

- maths
- chemistry
- physics
- german
- biology (self-teaching)
- critical thinking (AS)

stupid teachers at school not letting me study biology at a-level so i have to take it out of school :frown:
I'm doing German, Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. Not sure if I want to do medicine:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Im in year 11 tooo and im going to study :

Chemistry
Biology
Religious Studies
Maths

But dropping maths after the first year :smile:
laurie93
Im in year 11 tooo and im going to study :

Chemistry
Biology
Religious Studies
Maths

But dropping maths after the first year :smile:

I'd recommend dropping Religious Studies after your first year, Maths is more respected, but it's up to you.
Reply 5
me, im also currently in year eleven :smile:
gonna take Chemistry, Biology, Maths + Literature,
and im fairly sure I won't get into medicine at uni either unless I work extra hard >.<
Reply 6
meee im in 1st yr of sixth form and im doing:

Pure maths and stats (HATE IT)
biology
chemistry
and geography

love the two sciences but hate maths (stupid teacher) and geographys getting a tad boring :| lol

but yep im all for medicine :biggrin:
Reply 7
Noo, maths is waaay too hard and id get a good grade in RE :smile:
Also in yr11 ;] Bio, Chem, Maths, F.Maths, Art, Gen. studies (stupid compulsory subject...)
Reply 9
laurie93
Noo, maths is waaay too hard and id get a good grade in RE :smile:

yeh me too im hating maths right now so ill probably drop that (i know not the best options for medicine but as you said id rather have the best grades with a diff subject than failing in maths)
xXxBaby-BooxXx
I'd recommend dropping Religious Studies after your first year, Maths is more respected, but it's up to you.

It would make no difference.

Laurie93: Do whichever you enjoy/will get the highest grade in.
I'm thinking of:

Maths (doing fast track so it'd be stupid of me to drop it)
Bio
Chem
Phys
5th SUBJECT (yes i know that i'll have no life if I take 5 but i'll drop one): debating between further maths and german
Reply 12
:hi: God, you lot in year 11 are keen :biggrin:

I'm in year 12 and doing Bio, Chem, Physics and Psychology (oh and critical thinking :dry:), planning on dropping psychology at the end of the year.

Don't forget though, its not just grades :rolleyes:. You need work experince etc as well.

Oh and maths is not essential for med, there are some unis that will give you preference for doing a non-science subject, UCL is one I believe.
Reply 13
aljabiraa
I'm thinking of:

Maths (doing fast track so it'd be stupid of me to drop it)
Bio
Chem
Phys
5th SUBJECT (yes i know that i'll have no life if I take 5 but i'll drop one): debating between further maths and german

Do not do further maths! Its a subject that they won't really acknowledge, since you're already doing maths. Like Biology and P.E I think, you'd need to look at specific unis though. Plus, imo a language would be more useful.
Reply 14
(Online)
:hi: God, you lot in year 11 are keen :biggrin:

I'm in year 12 and doing Bio, Chem, Physics and Psychology (oh and critical thinking :dry:), planning on dropping psychology at the end of the year.

Don't forget though, its not just grades :rolleyes:. You need work experince etc as well.

Oh and maths is not essential for med, there are some unis that will give you preference for doing a non-science subject, UCL is one I believe.

keen yes, but medicine probably wont actually become a reality for me :P
I'm currently trying to get some in my local GP now, i'm not entirely 100% sure medicine is the right path for me. I don't want to get halfway through a-levels thinking I should have picked something else. + I'm hoping that the non-science factor will be helpful when trying to explain why I picked literature :biggrin:
(Online)
Do not do further maths! Its a subject that they won't really acknowledge, since you're already doing maths. Like Biology and P.E I think, you'd need to look at specific unis though. Plus, imo a language would be more useful.

I've looked it up, the uni's i wanna go to, i.e Cambridge, ICL, Kings (NOT UCL which seem to have the most annoying admissions policies known to man) allow it up to AS at the very least
Reply 16
Ive applied to Bradford uni in the summer to do a residential with Leeds uni and you live the life of a med student :smile: should be fun if i get a place !!! By the way what are your GCSE predictions/grades like ??

Currenntly;

Maths - had to sit F level to ensure got a C so i got a C :smile:
Physics - A*, A
Chemistry - A*,B
English Coursework - A's , B's
thegodofgod
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: (currently in y11)

thinking of:

- maths
- chemistry
- physics
- german
- biology (self-teaching)
- critical thinking (AS)

stupid teachers at school not letting me study biology at a-level so i have to take it out of school :frown:

That is way too much. Seriously, the extra qualifications are not worth getting.

Only the most prestigious unis (oxbridge) will actually look at the extra work that you have done. Cambridge want an average of 90% UMS or above over three AS levels. The extra work wont matter unless you meet this requirement. It is very likely that you will just stress yourself out. The benefits of doing an extra A level are very slim. 5As look way better on an application than 4As and 2Bs. Don't spread yourself too thinly.

Critical thinking requires very little work but unless you are fluent in German, i would advise dropping that.
I am in year 12 and am thinking of doing medicine. i am taking biology, chemistry, physics and maths for a-level, am not sure if i will get grades either, but will have to wait and see =)
I'm another Yr11 who wants to do medicine ^.^ :P

My chosen A-Levels are:
- Maths
- Biology
- Chemistry
- German
- (Maybe) Further maths (to AS)

Getting some work experience in the summer, hopefully at Papworth hospital (:

Latest

Trending

Trending