Reply 1
secretdude123
I think i will be taking :
Further Maths
Maths
Economics
Government & Politics
Geography

Dropping 1 at A2 probably F.M or geography, or maybe both(does it do much harm)

Thinking of at these uni economic course:

Cambridge
UCL (is the course really maths based like cambridge?)

and 3 in 5-10 rankings

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Sounds fine but whatever you do, don't drop Further Maths - that really would do you harm.
Sound like fairly good choices. Government & Politics, however, is considered quite soft compared to the others, so you might wanna just drop that. I think History would be more appropriate than Geography. You're options are just drop G&P, drop G&P and swap Geography for History or just swap G&P for History (so still doing 5).

But to be honest you've got Maths, Further and Economics so the rest don't matter and what you've got now is fine as long as you enjoy you're subjects. Only do G&P if you have a strong interest in it, otherwise it's just not worth it. You should always only do the subjects you enjoy anyway.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
I agree that history would be a better option that geography, most admissions offices love history. Although, having said that, doing History over Geography probably won't clinch you an offer so if you really want to do Geography you might as well just do it.
Reply 4
As long as you don't drop FM at A2, that is a really strong combination. You could have history or physics instead of G&P, but if that interests you more it is quite a good subject to pick. From what I have heard, Geog is pretty easy at AS and a respected subject, so that is a great choice.
Reply 5
If you are going to drop either FM or Geography - drop the latter subject.

With competition for top uni places - having A level FM is beginning to become the 'be all and end all' when admission tutors are selecting their prospective students.
Reply 6
secretdude123
Further Maths
Maths
Economics
Government & Politics
Geography

Cambridge

and 3 in 5-10 rankings

What do you guys think?

Thanks

What are your predicted GCSE grades?
I would recommend 1 uni outside the TAELT top 11.
Reply 7
secretdude123
Further Maths
Maths
Economics
Government & Politics
Geography

Cambridge

and 3 in 5-10 rankings

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Maybe change one of G&P and geography for a science/language but you choices are fine the way they are.

On the maths question in all the top 11 universities you will do the same amount of maths i.e I am at Bath and am doing the same amount of maths as friends at LSE, plus i spoke to a professor at Edinburgh who had previously worked at Oxford who said their course contains the same amount of maths as any course. The only university which might be different is Nottingham which you have the choice to do BSc or BA with the BA being less maths based.
Lol Cambridge....

He'll be at Southhampton Solent in no time :p:
Reply 9
u_dun_noe
If you are going to drop either FM or Geography - drop the latter subject.

With competition for top uni places - having A level FM is beginning to become the 'be all and end all' when admission tutors are selecting their prospective students.

What did u take for as/a-levels?

thanks
Reply 10
Paulwhy
What are your predicted GCSE grades?
I would recommend 1 uni outside the TAELT top 11.

Somewhere around 7a* and 5b
Reply 11
secretdude123
Somewhere around 7a* and 5b

That is probably a bit low for the top 5 TAELT unis.
What is your school GCSE modifier?
http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/undergraduate/apply/GCSEstandardisationmeasurementscorelook_upEngland.pdf
Reply 12
Paulwhy
That is probably a bit low for the top 5 TAELT unis.
What is your school GCSE modifier?
http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/undergraduate/apply/GCSEstandardisationmeasurementscorelook_upEngland.pdf

sorry 7a* 5a, whats a GCSE modifier?
Reply 13
hacksteal
sorry 7a* 5a, whats a GCSE modifier?

An attempt by Durham to quantify how well different schools do at GCSE. So it puts into context how well a student has done compared with his classmates.
Reply 14
My GCSE modifier is 1.2 and I am predicted 6A* and 6A. Is this good enough for top 5 TAELT unis? Or should i really bust my gut to get some As into A*s?
Reply 15
dannylj
My GCSE modifier is 1.2 and I am predicted 6A* and 6A. Is this good enough for top 5 TAELT unis? Or should i really bust my gut to get some As into A*s?

Well:
i)You want to do your very best in the GCSEs as everyone else will be and econ is very very competitive.
ii)The GCSE modifier gives the exact rule used by Durham to assess GCSEs. No guarentee on what other unis do. But the modiifer is a guess of the flexibility that other unis show.
iii) I would say that for the TAELT top 11 6 is the minimum minimum and 9 the maximum minimum.
iv) Modifier of 1.2 makes your predicted grades equivalientto 9 A*s and 3A.
v)Definitely want your referee to include the modifier and it's implications in your case in your reference.
Reply 16
Paulwhy
Well:
i)You want to do your very best in the GCSEs as everyone else will be and econ is very very competitive.
ii)The GCSE modifier gives the exact rule used by Durham to assess GCSEs. No guarentee on what other unis do. But the modiifer is a guess of the flexibility that other unis show.
iii) I would say that for the TAELT top 11 6 is the minimum minimum and 9 the maximum minimum.
iv) Modifier of 1.2 makes your predicted grades equivalientto 9 A*s and 3A.
v)Definitely want your referee to include the modifier and it's implications in your case in your reference.

Thanks, so I'm going to have to work a bit harder. For my a levels I am confused whether to either do 5 As or 4 As.

Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics + History?

Would it make all that difference doing history or is it better to work hard and get 4 really good As?
dannylj
Thanks, so I'm going to have to work a bit harder. For my a levels I am confused whether to either do 5 As or 4 As.

Would it make all that difference doing history or is it better to work hard and get 4 really good As?

Clearly it's better to get 5 really good As. And the quality of the As only matter for Cambridge AFAIK, unless other unis are beginning to ask for UMS.
Reply 18
alex_hk90
Clearly it's better to get 5 really good As. And the quality of the As only matter for Cambridge AFAIK, unless other unis are beginning to ask for UMS.

Im just worried I might end up either AAAA or AAABB? Will doing the extra AS really stretch me?
Reply 19
dannylj

Depends on:
1)your objective
i)5 AS and 5/4 A2 aims for top 5.
ii) Whilst 4 AS and 4/3 A2 aims for next 6.
2)your ability and commitment.

Latest

Trending

Trending