The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NDGAARONDI
That made Kuz quiet. Is it okay to make the same generalisations for black people, Muslims, homosexuals etc? I doubt it.

Is it OK to make the same generalisations for 'chavs'?

I doubt it.
Reply 41
What on earth is Pates? I know for a fact that is the case as my cousin went to CLC. They are divine ladies as not only are they beautiful but also intelligent and well-mannered.
Reply 42
NDGAARONDI
That made Kuz quiet. Is it okay to make the same generalisations for black people, Muslims, homosexuals etc? I doubt it.

Or maybe I logged off my computer and entirely forgot I posted in this thread!
Of course its not OK to generalise people, but this entire thread consists of generalisations! These generalisations however, are not ones that would cause offence as they are farcical teenage stereotyping. This is why no-one who has posted here has had a problem with the generalisation of a CHAV, as it is a nonsense colloquial term which a few people fall into. And from what I can guage from the tone of the thread most people here don't like. On the flip side I don't have a problem with the people that supposedly fall into the group of "CHAV". I, on the other hand dislike people who are ,most physically different to "Chavs" like Greebo, Grungers, Goths etc... I believe these groups think they are better than the "Chav" when in fact they are just another adolesent/ young person social group that is on par with Chav's mainly because of their annoying "superiour-than-thou-attitude". The attitude in their case steaming from the fact that they are all originally geeks! Annoyed with their status in school/college/their immediate society, they listen to angry or melancholic (sp) music, wear dark clothes, and frequent the street with hideous make-up or sullen faces that frigten little children!
Harsh though they maybe who would put their hand up and say "I'm a Chav" or "I'm a Greebo"...No-one, because no-one really is, are they! At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with these generalisation because their mere exsistence is in a way a joke, they are not based on religion, race, sexual preference etc... The previous are serious groups and divisions of the population that many are born into or are brought up in... i.e part of who they are. They are not stupid superficial tags that define a "CHAV" or a "GOTH" like the brand of clothes you wear, the car you drive and the music you listen to!
Kuz
they listen to angry or melancholy music, wear dark clothes, and frequent the street with hideous make-up of sullen faces that frighten little children!

Melancholy is an adjective, spell check is your friend.
SirPimpsALittle
Melancholy is an adjective, spell check is your friend.

Melancholic is an adjective too.

'Frigten' looks like a typo to me. It happens.

'where', well, there's no excuse for that really.
Reply 45
dogtanian
Melancholic is an adjective too.

'Frigten' looks like a typo to me. It happens.

'where', well, there's no excuse for that really.

You know your argument has struck a cord, when all people can do in retaliation is pick up on your spelling and gramatical errors :wink:

Content my children, not commas
Kuz
You know your argument struck a cord, when all people can do in retaliation is pick up on your spelling and gramatical errors :wink:

Content my children, not commas

I only make pedantic comments when others see fit to rip a thread to pieces based on the grammar and spelling as opposed to thread content. :smile:

I don't agree with the whole of your argument, but stereotyping chavs is just as bad as stereotyping goths/grungers/whatever.
Reply 47
dogtanian

I don't agree with the whole of your argument, but stereotyping chavs is just as bad as stereotyping goths/grungers/whatever.

Exactly what I am trying to say, and I'm also saying that it is unimportant that we do it because these are not serious social groups but just names that school children that don't get along call each other.
I only corrected that sentence because he put (sp) next to melancholic, which, you're right, is an adjective. It's just a matter of preference, and it wasn't a retort since I thought that implied a non rhetorical question.
Reply 49
SirPimpsALittle
I only corrected that sentence because he put (sp) next to melancholic, which, you're right, is an adjective. It's just a matter of preference, and it wasn't a retort since I thought that implied a non rhetorical question.

SHE!
SirPimpsALittle

But putting (sp) next to a word doesn't necessarily mean that she's after an answer.

And given that she got it right, it's not needed anyway.
need_money

A post like this, I find truly worrying. What will need_money think of such comments when she grows up? Oh the shame!
Kuz
they listen to angry or melancholic (sp) music, wear dark clothes, and frequent the street with hideous make-up or sullen faces that frigten little children!

What music they listen to is up to them. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should be something used against them. Better being a goth than listening to some hip hop music full of swear words and homophobic lyrics, which in turn help fuel crime. Look at all those chavs who get preggers underaged, have abortions, causing trouble in hospitals etc. They're also entirely acceptable to wear dark clothes. I could easily criticise typical chavette dress sense, if there is such a thing. It's bad enough with girls wearing belts for a skirt and generally looking like a right tart at the age of 14. What's next? Pregnancy? Again I've generalised here but merely as a response.

To be honest, this whole chav culture is more likely to frighten vulnarable people than 'goths'.
Gawwd, these threads are always utterly pointless and crap. Look, whatever stereotype people try to conform and group their peers in (whether it be a chav, goth, trendie, indie, ninja, skaghead etc...) are a waste of time. People are individuals, they dress how they want, do what they want, listen to what they want.
I wonder (i seriously do) when people will grow tired of slagging off and generalising people to the chav stereotype, it's really boring, get over yourselves. IMO it's just a way of belittling working class people and making the middle and upper classes feel better about themselves. :-/
Reply 54
NDGAARONDI
What music they listen to is up to them. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should be something used against them. Better being a goth than listening to some hip hop music full of swear words and homophobic lyrics, which in turn help fuel crime. Look at all those chavs who get preggers underaged, have abortions, causing trouble in hospitals etc. They're also entirely acceptable to wear dark clothes. I could easily criticise typical chavette dress sense, if there is such a thing. It's bad enough with girls wearing belts for a skirt and generally looking like a right tart at the age of 14. What's next? Pregnancy? Again I've generalised here but merely as a response.

To be honest, this whole chav culture is more likely to frighten vulnarable people than 'goths'.

I think in a roundabouts way you're missing the point, which is: generalise these group all you want, it is not on the same level as generalisations of race, religion or sexual preference

In response to your generalisations... never diss hip hop in my presence, particularly if u have no understanding of it. Swear words, whatever you may think of them have been an inagural part of our language for thousands of years, they are merely expressive forms of language, which help an MC/lyrisist (sp) convey their message to their audience in a more emotional and powerful way. Mosy MC'S don't avocate violence or criminality as that is the life they escape why would they advocate it, they only re-tell it.
Kuz
Swear words, whatever you may think of them have been an inagural part of our language for thousands of years, they are merely expressive forms of language, which help an MC/lyrisist (sp) convey their message to their audience in a more emotional and powerful way.

Don't complain if rock bands do it then.
dogtanian
Is it OK to make the same generalisations for 'chavs'?

I doubt it.

I've already addressed this point.
NDGAARONDI
I've already addressed this point.

You have? Where?

Because all you seem to be doing is making offensive and blanket statements about so-called 'chavs'.
Reply 58
CW Esq
What on earth is Pates? I know for a fact that is the case as my cousin went to CLC. They are divine ladies as not only are they beautiful but also intelligent and well-mannered.

a juvenile prison unit. what do you think?

it's a school :rolleyes: in fact, it's just as good a school as CLC.

and i have nothing against CLC - strangely enough (living in cheltenham) i do actually know a couple of the girls. i actually nearly went there. it's lovely that your cousin went to CLC, i hope that she enjoyed the experience. still, as a fellow inhabitant of cheltenham, i'd like to suggest that i might have just as valid an opinion as she does.
NDGAARONDI
Don't complain if rock bands do it then.

She didn't.

Latest