The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what your moving from america to england

chav stands for council housed and violent by the way
Hehe, Americans. I tried explaining what chavs were to an American on my holiday last week and after the description I gave, they told me that in America they are called "white trash" :eek:
Reply 3
Margerie Dawes

I never knew it stood for anything, I just thought it was a word. Wow you learn something new and highly useful everyday! :smile:

Being called a chav is possibly the biggest insult.. dont wanna be mistaken for one no no
Reply 4
Generally lower class people wearing Burberry, Nickelson and the like.

This pretty much sums up the clothing they wear:
http://www.chavscum.co.uk/howto.php
www.chavscum.co.uk -- should help you out a little
Reply 6
Read some of the definitions on urban dictionary

That should answer your question.
Margerie Dawes

I'm going to UCL starting in september! Well, I have a tendency to wear baseball caps, but only when I play baseball or golf. I guess that would be acceptable? Seeing the pictures I finally get it. We'd call that trying to dress like you're black, when you most clearly aren't. Also, I only wear my white trainers, that's also a term that took me a while, on the basketball court.

In short, no I am not a chav and quite relieved. Plus it sounds like they have rather thick accents, which would definitely not include me.
Reply 8
LittleMinx
I never knew it stood for anything, I just thought it was a word. Wow you learn something new and highly useful everyday! :smile:

Being called a chav is possibly the biggest insult.. dont wanna be mistaken for one no no

There are a host of potential explanations for it. Two I am aware of are the one my cousins used to use (they have been calling people chavs far longer than the rest of the population) - they claimed it was an abbreviation of Cheltenham Average (guess where they were from); the second is that it was originally a Romany (gypsy) word for thief.

SirPimpsALittle - a lot of chavs/townies/pikeys/whatever people call them have very heavy accents of wherever they come from, but so do a lot of other people, so it's not really a distinguishing feature.
Don't forget neds.
NDGAARONDI
Don't forget neds.

Like Ned Flanders? Or is that just a chav synonym?
Sadly I feel that becoming a Chav is a side effect from trying to keep up with the latest fashions. Its all about Sports wear and that 'orrible Burberry rubbish. I think the jewellery came from kids trying to be a bit bling/gangster rapperish. Sad to say it don't look as good on a white bloke and thats not being racist either.
All I know is, it is quite widespread with teens and looks awful.
This is quite a good picture of a typical chav: http://chavscum.co.uk/4images/details.php?image_id=3041&sessionid=797d917cf2c9da7d4f139a26b5187fea
They generally hang around town (hence the alternative name - townies) and start fights with people and randomly tell you to **** off. Friendly.
This website is class!
ChelseaBabe
Sadly I feel that becoming a Chav is a side effect from trying to keep up with the latest fashions. Its all about Sports wear and that 'orrible Burberry rubbish. I think the jewellery came from kids trying to be a bit bling/gangster rapperish. Sad to say it don't look as good on a white bloke and thats not being racist either.
All I know is, it is quite widespread with teens and looks awful.

I'm actually suprised about the burberry. Here it's actually considered very fashionable, and it's what all the rich kids have. Umbrellas, bags, scarves. In the same class as louis vuitton. Of course, that's because it's really expensive. Fortunately I never much cared for any of that stuff. There's actually a burberry store in the really upclass mall in Dallas. Would lacoste stuff be consider chavvy? Again, considered fashionable but I avoid it.
SirPimpsALittle
I'm actually suprised about the burberry. Here it's actually considered very fashionable, and it's what all the rich kids have. Umbrellas, bags, scarves. In the same class as louis vuitton. Of course, that's because it's really expensive. Fortunately I never much cared for any of that stuff. There's actually a burberry store in the really upclass mall in Dallas. Would lacoste stuff be consider chavvy? Again, considered fashionable but I avoid it.

Lacoste yes! Lacoste tracksuits are very popular with neds!
need_money
Lacoste yes! Lacoste tracksuits are very popular with neds!

They make lacoste track suits? I was thinking mostly the polo style shirts with the collar popped.
SirPimpsALittle
They make lacoste track suits? I was thinking mostly the polo style shirts with the collar popped.

Neds wear the polo shirts as well with the collar pulled up (usually in pink) but yeah tracksuits as well.
Reply 19
Dont get confused with Pikeys and Chavs like most people are. Pikeys are gypos travellers and in my experience generally hard b**tards (there what brad pitt in snatch is, a lot of em bare knuckle box), chavs are what everyone has described as i live in cousil dwellings, pikeys live in caravans

Latest