The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me study Photography at uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
At the end of the day, you're the one who has to spend at 3/4 years at university doing a degree - not your parents. It may be tempting to give in and do something which will make everyone else happy, but it's important you enjoy what you're doing, and not just doing something for the sake of it. Also, don't let what everyone else is doing put you off - it's your choice, your decision and if it's what you really want to do, do it!
puma21
Photography is a waste of monet for a degree.

Claude Monet was a good painter no doubt about it, but I'm pretty certain universities prefer pound sterling as a form of payment as opposed to paintings by art masters.

OP ignore your parents and do what you want to do. There's not point picking a degree you don't like because your parents told you to do it and then end up dropping out after your first year.
Do you already study A Level Photography, Art or anything else related?

I for one am in awe of anyone who can draw and I've seen the ****-load of work involved with art so I don't see why art, design etc are "less respected" but it's such a huge field, do you want to limit yourself to photography? Almost everthing around us has been designed by someone.
Reply 23
Elz7
i think that was down 2 luck?
yeh i suppose a degree shows commitment. but why not make it easier for yourself and future career but doing a more academic degree. of course it will work in your favour, when competing for a job for example.
a maths vs art degree
i kno which the preferable one would be

The one you enjoy the most?

And depends what type of job
Reply 24
tomthecat

But taking a photography degree isn't just about learning to "take photos", it's also about collaborating with students studying other subjects, such as graphic design, product design... it opens a lot of doors and you'll be given lots of opportunities that you wouldn't be given otherwise. If this is what you're truly passionate about, do it - my mum wanted me to study history at Cambridge but I'm going to do costume design next year, yay :smile: Studying something you're not excited about is pointless because you're going to have absolutely no motivation which will affect your work. Forget about everyone who says you don't need a degree to do photography, there IS a lot to learn and you're going to enjoy your 3 years at Uni far more if you're doing something you love :smile: Studying Economics may seem more likely to lead places and ensure you success in life, but only if it's something you're truly passionate about. Do you really want Photography to be JUST a hobby? For all we know you could be the next Irving Penn or Helmut Newton! Good luck xx
Take art then, I've never understood how anyone could drag photography out for three whole years by itself.
Reply 26
tomthecat
I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, if it isn't, sorry.:smile:
So yeah, I'm in year 12 at the moment, and I've set my heart on studying Photography at university as it's something I love and I'm good at.

Build a good argument for it and show you've thought it through, look up the data for graduate destinations, etc. for photography and show your parents that doing a photography degree will help you to achieve your objectives in life.

Make it sound less like a whim ("oh that sounds like fun") and more like a rational long term decision and your parents will be more willing to listen.
Reply 27
Thank God for your parents
Is there NOTHING academic that you like? At all? Something that you just haven't considered but might really appeal to you, and be ok with your parents?

If absolutely not, then take your chances with photography. But like people are saying, I'd find a solid degree that interests me, and I find easy, and do that first, keeping photography as a hobby.

Life is long! Loads of people change careers, become journalists or painters later in life, theres nothing to stop you. BUT you have to comprimise a bit in life. Your parents are being sensible, and tbh they're probably thinking about your happiness a few years down the line. When you have a high chance not finding good photography work, and have very limited other options. While everyone around you (I know you shouldn't care what people think blabla, but these are your friends, family, they are important) will be leading a different life, and you'll probably feel a bit like you've failed.

If you got such good grades in a wide range of subjects, then something must interest you? Keep photographing in your spare time, photographers don't need a degree as much as an impressive portfolio and experience.
Reply 29
amzi247
In my opinion you would be silly to not go to university and get an academic degree. Your parents are right regardless. Photogrpahy is a hobby not a profession.Radiography fair enough is a profession but photgraphy please.

It can be both, like most things :confused:

amzi247
Take it on the side whilst you study at Oxbridge. people out there would give an arm and leg to have the opportunity of what you have .. dont let it go .. And dont make a mistake with your career ..
Exactly OP, don't do something you will regret.
amzi247

Go get your education at uni grab it by your hands and have a degree to always stand by you ... Photography can be pursued as u study or later... Without an academic degree these dayz you are essentially nothing( i dont mean that as harshly as that sounds)
Again, :confused:

amzi247

gd luck
x
Reply 30
There's no point doing a degree in something you really don't enjoy, but maybe they have your best interests at heart re: future prospects and limitations job wise. Is there nothing else that you could study that you will enjoy? Something more versatile, and maybe you could do photography on the side? At least that way if your photography didn't go how you wish for it to, you have a sort of 'back up'.

EDIT: Seeing as Photography branches off Art, why not study Art? Or is it solely photography which captures your interest? Art is certainly more versatile and can be applied to more things. But I guess you know yourself better than anyone on here. Oh and, a lot of advice you recieve on TSR will be hugely biased towards NOT studying Photography at university.
Reply 31
~flutterby~
Is there NOTHING academic that you like? At all? Something that you just haven't considered but might really appeal to you, and be ok with your parents?

If absolutely not, then take your chances with photography. But like people are saying, I'd find a solid degree that interests me, and I find easy, and do that first, keeping photography as a hobby.

Life is long! Loads of people change careers, become journalists or painters later in life, theres nothing to stop you. BUT you have to comprimise a bit in life. Your parents are being sensible, and tbh they're probably thinking about your happiness a few years down the line. When you have a high chance not finding good photography work, and have very limited other options. While everyone around you (I know you shouldn't care what people think blabla, but these are your friends, family, they are important) will be leading a different life, and you'll probably feel a bit like you've failed.

If you got such good grades in a wide range of subjects, then something must interest you? Keep photographing in your spare time, photogrophers don't need a degree as much as an impressive portfolio and experience.

*societies
Reply 32
Thanks everyone =)

So most people seem to think Economics is the better option then..
I'm now so confused :p:

I take Art at A-level and I'm pretty good at drawing and painting etc. but I don't think Art at uni is for me..
What would you rather do? Study something academic like History and end up working in an office like most of my relatives who studied it did, or something art / design / photography related and quite possibly, still end up working in an office but very possibly, working in a place where you get to actually make things.
Also you're not going to stand a chance at oxbridge if you're not doing something you have a passion for, so ignore people saying you should give up what you actually love doing for the "chance to study at oxbridge". Woo bloody hoo, a posh university using a ton of resources on you so you can do something just because your parents told you to :sigh:
Kash:)
*societies

I changed it before I saw your correction :nothing:

You don't win.
Reply 36
Its your life, if you can afford to do a photography degree without their help and want to then do it!
Photography is a profession but personally I don't think its a proper degree - i may be wrong.
What about a compromise - Media or Art etc
Reply 37
amzi247
In my opinion you would be silly to not go to university and get an academic degree. Your parents are right regardless. Photogrpahy is a hobby not a profession. Radiography fair enough is a profession but photgraphy please. Take it on the side whilst you study at Oxbridge. people out there would give an arm and leg to have the opportunity of what you have .. dont let it go .. And dont make a mistake with your career .. Go get your education at uni grab it by your hands and have a degree to always stand by you ... Photography can be pursued as u study or later... Without an academic degree these dayz you are essentially nothing( i dont mean that as harshly as that sounds)
gd luck
x

You clearly don't know much about photography so I'm not sure why you're giving this guy advice. "Photography is a hobby". What about Ansel Adams, Irving Penn, Henri Cartier-Breson? For these people photography clearly wasn't just a "hobby". So many iconic moments throughout history we wouldn't have seen if there was no one to document them. More to the point, there are different branches of photography - fashion, advertising, food, landscape, he could even go into photojournalism if he wanted. So no, he wouldn't be "essentially nothing", not if he was determined to succeed. Sorry if I sound harsh, I'm just so tired of hearing people say that not having an academic degree makes people worthless - where would we be if there were no photographers, artists, or designers? In a very, very dull world. We can only have so many accountants! xx
Reply 38
So, basically, studying Economics wouldn't hurt my chances of becoming a photographer?
Reply 39
tomthecat
So, basically, studying Economics wouldn't hurt my chances of becoming a photographer?

Why would it?
Whilst i can see an employer in business faced with 20 economics graduates and you with a photography degree not considering you I can't see the reverse happening..."Damn htese photos are good, he really knows his stuff...but wait ....look he has an Economics degree from a top uni....can't employ him...next!":smile:

Quick Reply

Latest