The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me study Photography at uni

I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, if it isn't, sorry.:smile:
So yeah, I'm in year 12 at the moment, and I've set my heart on studying Photography at university as it's something I love and I'm good at.
I spoke to my parents about it, but they just looked at me as if I was crazy or something. Most of my family have gone to Oxbridge and expect me to do so as well. In their opinion Photography isn't a real subject at all and I should study something respectable like Economics or History or whatever. My dad actually told me they won't pay for university if I study Photography..

It doesn't help, either, that my school is a very academic one and nearly everyone goes on to top universities. They put huge pressure on me to apply to Oxbridge as I got really good GCSE's and won't hear of me applying for something non-academic like Photography. I can imagine myself studying Economics as well, I but I'm not really all that passionate about it like I am about Photography, which I suppose you would have to be if you're aiming for Oxbridge. Otherwise, I think I stand a pretty good chance of getting in.

I know it's my life and I should make the decision myself, but it's not exactly easy when everybody expects me to do something I don't want to do.

So what do you think about this? What should I say to my parents? Or should I just apply for Economics and forget everything about a degree in Photography and just have it as a hobby?

Scroll to see replies

Do you actually have to go to Uni to be a photographer?
Reply 2
My Dad wanted me to take chemistry at A-Level, I took Drama. Now he activly encourages my sister to do the same because he saw it was academic and hard work.

Just do it, afterll, you're the one doing the degree. No-one can control what you put on your UCAS except you, and if your finger just happens to slip onto that 'Photography' option, then... whoops?
Must you have a degree in Photography to be a Photographer?
Reply 4
can you get through uni without your parents' support? i would aim to pursue what you actually want to, rather than doing things to please others.
Reply 5
tomthecat

My dad actually told me they won't pay for university if I study Photography..

So.. ? .. my parents cant help me no matter what i do, so its lots of loans and part time work for me, doesnt make a difference :P

I but I'm not really all that passionate about it like I am about Photography,

Do the thing your most passionate about.. who cares what other people think?.. you'll do best at what your passionate about, its not like photography leads nowhere, im sure it can lead to lots of job opportunities.

I know it's my life and I should make the decision myself, but it's not exactly easy when everybody expects me to do something I don't want to do.

Same as above.

So what do you think about this? What should I say to my parents? Or should I just apply for Economics and forget everything about a degree in Photography and just have it as a hobby?

Tell you parents to politely.. **** off. Its your life, if they dont support you then big deal, not everyone gets supported and they manage fine, you should go to uni to study something your passionate about.. something you want to further your knowledge into.

:woo:
Reply 6
Photography is a waste of money for a degree.
Reply 7
i think doing that sort of degree limits what u can do in the future, its hard to find a job nowadays as it is. so why limit urself to such a difficult, competitive industry?
i can see where ur parents are coming from. But then again, u dont wana do a degree u hate. your the one who has to do it for the next few years.
Reply 8
puma21
Photography is a waste of monet for a degree.

monet is hard to come by.
Reply 9
Do what you enjoy or do what will make you happy and photography can be kept as a interest/hobby
Hmm...In all honesty I would proberly depend how much I pay towards my childs depending on their degree.
Reply 11
Elz7
i think doing that sort of degree limits what u can do in the future, its hard to find a job nowadays as it is. so why limit urself to such a difficult, competitive industry?
i can see where ur parents are coming from. But then again, u dont wana do a degree u hate. your the one who has to do it for the next few years.

Not really. I know someone who did an art based degree and is now a banker.

According to my aunt (ex teacher), the main thing is to get a degree.

Tommyjw
:woo:

what this guy said. Tell your parents to STFU
Reply 12
puma21
Photography is a waste of monet for a degree.

Is it, really?
Mostly because you could learn it all by yourself?
Reply 13
Surely you dont need a degree to take a photo?

But then again its your decision and if you think thats the right option for you go for it.
Awesomesauce
Must you have a degree in Photography to be a Photographer?

Must you have a degree in History to be a Historian? :indiff:

OP do what YOU want to do, you'll probably feel 10 tonnes better with life if you pursue something you're passionate about and don't cave into other people's expectations of you.
Reply 15
If you have your heart set on doing something, don't let anything or anyone try to stop you before you even get to give it a try. The majority of people on here will try to discourage you, but don't let them.

You're more likely to succeed.
Reply 16
Keep photography as a hobby, you dont need a degree to be a photographer and it would be a pity to forgo your chances to study at oxbridge to do photography as a degree.
Elz7

This
Reply 18
Kash:)
Not really. I know someone who did an art based degree and is now a banker.

According to my aunt (ex teacher), the main thing is to get a degree.

what this guy said. Tell your parents to STFU

i think that was down 2 luck?
yeh i suppose a degree shows commitment. but why not make it easier for yourself and future career but doing a more academic degree. of course it will work in your favour, when competing for a job for example.
a maths vs art degree
i kno which the preferable one would be
Reply 19
chronic_fatigue
This

continue... lol

Quick Reply

Latest