The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me study Photography at uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tomthecat
So, basically, studying Economics wouldn't hurt my chances of becoming a photographer?

if by "wouldn't hurt" you mean "strengthen" then yes
Reply 41
fire2burn
Claude Monet was a good painter no doubt about it, but I'm pretty certain universities prefer pound sterling as a form of payment as opposed to paintings by art masters.

OP ignore your parents and do what you want to do. There's not point picking a degree you don't like because your parents told you to do it and then end up dropping out after your first year.

I hope you realised that was clearly a typing error considering Y is next to T on the standard qwerty keyboard. :dry:
do economics: practice photography in your spare time. A guy at my dads work (in one of his jobs) was a graphics designer. On getting the job he realised that it wasn't for him and having spent all that time training he should have done something else. So he did the relevant course and became a pilot. However he could have done both at the same time, so that's what you should do: do economics or an academic subject that interests you, but continue to pursue photography. Many actors go to oxbridge and then become actors/ actresses and going there still looks good even though the career is completely unrelated.
Reply 43
dont go to uni unless you have to if youre worried about finance etc
most people get student loans so you dont have to rely on your parents, pay it back when you earn enough.
if you really need to go to uni, maybe compromise and do a joint honours with photography and something else?
if it helps, i'm a second year studying photography, and it is MUCH more academic than i thought it would be. which is great, because i'm good at that stuff. i usually get the 'why does it take three years to learn to press a button?' reaction from people, but i don't care, i know there is a hell of a lot more to it than that and i'm loving the subject. do what you want, not what your parents want.
Do what YOU want. I didn't take drama because of my parents and I really regret it :frown:
Reply 46
amzi247
Put it this way, i wouldnt pay tuition for my child to go study photography being so academic. I love football but does that mean I should not get a degree from Oxford and pursue football where essentially I could end up getting nowhere. And if i did ... what will I do .. oh nothing coz i dont have a degree or some adequate qualification anyway!

Okay I think you've completely missed that point. Photography is something you can become better at, something you can learn more about by studying it at university. But there's no point arguing, some people don't just see the merits of studying an art simply because they're very academic-minded, and fair enough. But success doesn't have to mean becoming an accountant or a doctor, success is measured by how happy you are. But good luck to you with your academic degree :smile:
puma21
I hope you realised that was clearly a typing error considering Y is next to T on the standard qwerty keyboard. :dry:

Lies and slander!
Why not try and get into a really good art school for photography? If you went to say, St. Martins, surely your parents can't complain about that.
Reply 49
tomthecat
So, basically, studying Economics wouldn't hurt my chances of becoming a photographer?

Why would it?

I was in the same situation - wanted to take photography in uni, and my parents weren't really 'happy' about it - but then decided that it would be better to get a more 'usable' degree. Then I'd have better chances for a decent job, which in turn will give me enough money to get photography equipment/cover travels etc.

So I'd say go for Economics, and maybe take few classes in photography.
Reply 50
katieclick
if it helps, i'm a second year studying photography, and it is MUCH more academic than i thought it would be. which is great, because i'm good at that stuff. i usually get the 'why does it take three years to learn to press a button?' reaction from people, but i don't care, i know there is a hell of a lot more to it than that and i'm loving the subject. do what you want, not what your parents want.

Where do you study?
Thanks for the post, finally someone who actually studies photography :smile:
Reply 51
You don't need to do Photography as a degree to enjoy taking pictures.

I had an option of studying Art or Languages at Uni.
My parents wouldn't support me doing Art either, even though my dad did an art degree... ¬_¬
But actually I see that as a reason not to take an Art degree..you can't get a decent job with it lol.

Seriously though, do you have any other passion that might seem reasonable to study as a degree?

You can always join uni soc to keep the photography passion alive.
tomthecat
Where do you study?
Thanks for the post, finally someone who actually studies photography :smile:

Staffordshire University. It's not exactly a top uni but the course is perfect for me :smile:
Reply 53
I know you have you heart set on it, but i would tend to agree with your parents. There isnt a lot you can do with a photography degree, and that is definitely something you can do AFTERWARDS, on a full time or otherwise course. But for example Engineering isnt something you could.

I know it sounds like we're all putting down your dream but I dont think your parents are saying what they're saying out of spite or because they want to oxbridge you, its because honestly your not really progressing by doing 3 years of a 'soft' degree.
If you enjoy it, then go for it. It'll be a waste of money to do something you hate, and then land in a career you hate too...
Reply 55
Just join the photography society.

Don't waste all your time doing your hobby.
Most people in thhis thread aren't even at uni, you're really not going to get any useful advice at all. Ask a teacher, go to an open day at a uni or something, but if you want advice that's pertinent, even handed and thought through then TSR really isn't the place to go.

At any rate, you do more than just take photos on a photography degree, the same goes for any and all arts degrees, quite a bit of the work is theory based as well as practical, especially at some of the more prestigious art unis/colleges.

No one here has even studied whatever it is they're planning to study to degree level, let alone photography so taken their advice to heart would be more detrimental than anything else.

And would people quit saying ******** like "just join the photography society", as if you'd be able to learn about photography to the same level just being part of some ****** society. None of you know what you're talking about
Reply 57
IMO, Photography is more of a hobby than something to do at degree level.

Edit: It seems people have already said this, but I stick by it.
Reply 58
Noble though your aspirations are, I doubt that a formal qualification in photography would be worth £15,000 more – in 'real' terms – than three years spent actually practising photography. Conversely, a degree in Economics will at least keep you solvent enough that you can afford to pursue such endeavours recreationally.
Reply 59
tbh i wouldnt support a child of mine doing this because it wouldnt be in their interests. It is a foolish thing to do...what use is a photography degree going to be to you in the future? It's so very limiting to the possibile things u could do with your future. do you really even need the degree to be a photographer? let alone any thing else?

i wouldnt stop my child doing it...but i think it would be irresponsible to support it...it's their job to persuade you to do what's in your best interests....and i'm sure, especially if you really are capable of oxford, a photogrpahy degree is not

Quick Reply

Latest