The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me study Photography at uni

Scroll to see replies

DO IT DO IT DO IT!
I want to study photography, which is also controversial because I go to a massively academic school where art is frowned upon, but I've had a lot of work published so ho hum, I feel it's something I could do well in. If you're a good photographer GO FOR IT! I wish there were more people who understood there is a technical side... my dad's a professional photographer of over 20 years so I don't have the parent issue.
If they really care about your happiness, they'll respect your choices

xk
Reply 61
It's not like I hate Economics or anything, I really do find it interesting and I wouldn't mind studying it that much, but I just like photography more.
I do see why everybody says I'm better off studying Economics than Photography, though. Oh well, Economics it is then, I guess.
Reply 62
~flutterby~
I changed it before I saw your correction :nothing:

You don't win.

We both won

Spoiler

tomthecat
So, basically, studying Economics wouldn't hurt my chances of becoming a photographer?

You want to be a photographer, take photography. You only live once, chase your dreams rather than being "sensible" and doing something you don't love.
Reply 64
tomthecat
It's not like I hate Economics or anything, I really do find it interesting and I wouldn't mind studying it that much, but I just like photography more.
I do see why everybody says I'm better off studying Economics than Photography, though. Oh well, Economics it is then, I guess.

:shock:

Do what you want to do. Don't do what the majority of TSR and your parents want you to do.

And also, alot of people on here may not understand what photography degree will consist of, I'm sure it has much more depth than taking photos! I know some people who did photography GCSE and that certainly wasn't just taking a few snaps of things now and again.

I wanna do sports science at uni, and despite what people think on here, it isn't running around all day.
erm, are they gonna be the ones studying it for three years?
yeah didnt think so.
Profesh
Noble though your aspirations are, I doubt that a formal qualification in photography would be worth £15,000 more in 'real' terms than three years spent actually practising photography. Conversely, a degree in Economics will at least keep you solvent enough that you can afford to pursue such endeavours recreationally.

Arts based universities put a heavy emphasis on not being passive with your degree choice. If you go to the right university and meet the right people you can get a lot of industry contacts and a lot of work within the industry whilst also having the benefit of having well trained lecturers and former professionals teaching you the ins, outs and technical sides of photography.

If someone wants to study photography at university, chances are they don't just want to do it recreationally, and even bigger chances are that they'd ******* hate a job in economics regardless.
Reply 67
Fund your degree doing comissions for local newspapers. Simples.
Reply 68
PAPAdawg
tbh i wouldnt support a child of mine doing this because it wouldnt be in their interests. It is a foolish thing to do...what use is a photography degree going to be to you in the future? It's so very limiting to the possibile things u could do with your future. do you really even need the degree to be a photographer? let alone any thing else?

i wouldnt stop my child doing it...but i think it would be irresponsible to support it...it's their job to persuade you to do what's in your best interests....and i'm sure, especially if you really are capable of oxford, a photogrpahy degree is not

A degree isn't just about getting a job in that particular field at the end of it.

For starters it should be something you enjoy and want to study in depth

At the end of a degree you still have so many options available to you, in terms of career and everything else.
Reply 69
You might actually find it more beneficial to just keep photography as a hobby. You don't need a degree to be good at photography and tbh I think uni is far to expensive to do something you don't need a degree for. Why not do a more academic art-based degree which will help you in a better position for graduate employment?
Reply 70
do oncology.
Reply 71
How I hate pushy parents. OP, you should follow your passion. Otherwise you could spend a lifetime in a job that you have no feeling for.
Reply 72
Kash:)
A degree isn't just about getting a job in that particular field at the end of it.

For starters it should be something you enjoy and want to study in depth

At the end of a degree you still have so many options available to you, in terms of career and everything else.

I'm sure..but more opportunities will be available with a traditional degree from a redbrick uni, just an example, than for photography. if this guy is being genuine he could get into most redbricks or even oxbridge and go a decent degree...so by doing photogrpahy he is forgoing opportunities he already could p;otentially have.
Reply 73
PAPAdawg
I'm sure..but more opportunities will be available with a traditional degree from a redbrick uni, just an example, than for photography. if this guy is being genuine he could get into most redbricks or even oxbridge and go a decent degree...so by doing photogrpahy he is forgoing opportunities he already could p;otentially have.

OP could apply for Fine Art somewhere nice and then focus on photography as an art form? If that's possible...
Reply 74
tomthecat
I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, if it isn't, sorry.:smile:
So yeah, I'm in year 12 at the moment, and I've set my heart on studying Photography at university as it's something I love and I'm good at.
I spoke to my parents about it, but they just looked at me as if I was crazy or something. Most of my family have gone to Oxbridge and expect me to do so as well. In their opinion Photography isn't a real subject at all and I should study something respectable like Economics or History or whatever. My dad actually told me they won't pay for university if I study Photography..

It doesn't help, either, that my school is a very academic one and nearly everyone goes on to top universities. They put huge pressure on me to apply to Oxbridge as I got really good GCSE's and won't hear of me applying for something non-academic like Photography. I can imagine myself studying Economics as well, I but I'm not really all that passionate about it like I am about Photography, which I suppose you would have to be if you're aiming for Oxbridge. Otherwise, I think I stand a pretty good chance of getting in.

I know it's my life and I should make the decision myself, but it's not exactly easy when everybody expects me to do something I don't want to do.

So what do you think about this? What should I say to my parents? Or should I just apply for Economics and forget everything about a degree in Photography and just have it as a hobby?

Have you got another way of funding youself? If you have, go for Photography and never look back.
If you haven't would it be possible for you to get a loan or something?
Don't do something you don't like, it would be a waste of energy, time and basically life.
Good luck
puma21
Photography is a waste of money for a degree.

I read Mathematical Physics and still have had plenty of opportunity to go out and learn to take great photos by myself over the past two years or so (see my Flickr).I have to agree with the above - don't waste your time doing a photography degree especially thinking it's going to get you into a job on it's own becuase although you might learn some technical skills which will be useful what really counts is your ability to spot things and be creative.You need to learn this through practice really and a degree isn't necessary for that.

bete noire
Most people in thhis thread aren't even at uni, you're really not going to get any useful advice at all. Ask a teacher, go to an open day at a uni or something, but if you want advice that's pertinent, even handed and thought through then TSR really isn't the place to go.

At any rate, you do more than just take photos on a photography degree, the same goes for any and all arts degrees, quite a bit of the work is theory based as well as practical, especially at some of the more prestigious art unis/colleges.

No one here has even studied whatever it is they're planning to study to degree level, let alone photography so taken their advice to heart would be more detrimental than anything else.

And would people quit saying ******** like "just join the photography society", as if you'd be able to learn about photography to the same level just being part of some ****** society. None of you know what you're talking about

Point taken.I am one of the exec members of the PhotoSoc at the University of Nottingham and I will say that perhaps we've not been able to give the same level of tuition as you'd get in a full time degree course.But you seem to overlook the fact that being in a Society you get to meet plenty of other interested snappers and you can learn off them also - it's not just about being "taught" as such how to do photography.
Reply 76
No offence but I can’t stand parents like this, I have so many friends that were forced to study other subjects at college and have had to start again and pay more money to do so.

Uni is completely different though like others have said they cannot control what you are doing unless they will be paying for it all, plus there are plenty of “academic” uni’s that you can apply to do photography. Or like others have said you don’t have to go to uni to become a photographer. Look at all of your options, you still have a while yet. But don’t let your parents decide for you, It’s your life and at the end of the day what you study YOU will have the debt to pay back and in the end you will resent them for choosing your career for you. Art is a real subject and you can earn S**T loads from photography.
conroe-killed-the-k8-star

Point taken.I am one of the exec members of the PhotoSoc at the University of Nottingham and I will say that perhaps we've not been able to give the same level of tuition as you'd get in a full time degree course.But you seem to overlook the fact that being in a Society you get to meet plenty of other interested snappers and you can learn off them also - it's not just about being "taught" as such how to do photography.

Yeah, that is nice and all.You really do have a point, but telling someone to just join a society in lieu of taking a degree in a subject they enjoy is pretty stupid.
skunky x
My Dad wanted me to take chemistry at A-Level, I took Drama. Now he activly encourages my sister to do the same because he saw it was academic and hard work.

Just do it, afterll, you're the one doing the degree. No-one can control what you put on your UCAS except you, and if your finger just happens to slip onto that 'Photography' option, then... whoops?

Haha my dad actively encouraged me to take maths, chem and biology in order to do medicine. 2 weeks into beginning maths and chem AS I dropped them both :laugh:
My family now grumble about the degree I'm intending to do, saying its not going to get me a job etc, but none of them even went to uni themselves :rolleyes:
Reply 79
Goldenfox
Have you got another way of funding youself? If you have, go for Photography and never look back.
If you haven't would it be possible for you to get a loan or something?
Don't do something you don't like, it would be a waste of energy, time and basically life.
Good luck

I don't know anything about student finance stuff yet, but I seriously doubt I'd get any grants or anything, everyone can get a loan though, right?
I go to a boarding school so it's impossible for me to get a part time job at the moment, but I've got a job for the summer so I can get some money. The prospect of having to pay for uni myself just seems so daunting, but I think I might be able to do it if I work hard during holidays.
I just don't know if it's worth it in the end, but I certainly hope so. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest