The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

How lenient are Loughborough with Grades?

Right, I've got an offer of AAB for Management Sciences.

I'm studying Business, English Lit/Lang & History. I'm pretty much nailed on to get A in business and should be able to get B in English. History however would take a big effort to scrape an A as I seem destined to get a high B. In AS i was 4 marks off an A in History. Say the same was to happen this year and I got ABB how likely would it be that I'd still get in?

I missed quite a bit of time through an illness as well and can produce a letter from hospital if necessary.

Anyone had any experience? Any replies appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not high. Business school will have many AAA students applying who will get the grades, usually missing it by 1 grade/20 ucas points you still stand a shot but i wouldn't bet on it for business. Just work as hard as you can to meet your offer, i don't know how doctors notes and things work so can't say anything there!

-x-
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
TheMagpie

I'm studying Business, English Lit/Lang & History. I'm pretty much nailed on to get A in business and should be able to get B in English. History however would take a big effort to scrape an A as I seem destined to get a high B. In AS i was 4 marks off an A in History. Say the same was to happen this year and I got ABB how likely would it be that I'd still get in?

I missed quite a bit of time through an illness as well and can produce a letter from hospital if necessary.

Not business dept, but on my Auto Eng degree, missed by 2 grades and still got in. Sortof different though as I got a double offer and met the lower offer, but was accepted on the higher one. That might confuse you more, but these things are hard to quantify
Reply 3
Thanks, seems like the Business School is pretty competitive so I'm just going to have to revise British Foreign Policy like a mad man for the next few weeks. :rolleyes:
I would not like to risk it...already a bit worried :eek:
Reply 5
Competition for uni places is getting fiercer every year, and this year is meant to be the tighest yet, so what's happened in previous years, possibly for different subjects, is unlikely to be all that relevant to you. You may well be able to convince them that extentuating circumstances were responsible for you missing your offer if you can get hospital notes etc, but just concentrate on trying your best to get the grades - and good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
At the visit days they were saying they MAY accept one dropped grade if you put it as your firm choice, however that very much depends on the year and who gets what gradces - year before last they didnt accept anyone not meeting offer as had too many people who did! Basically get your grades, otherwise its a major risk.
e_clark
At the visit days they were saying they MAY accept one dropped grade if you put it as your firm choice, however that very much depends on the year and who gets what gradces - year before last they didnt accept anyone not meeting offer as had too many people who did! Basically get your grades, otherwise its a major risk.

Yeah that was basically what I was going to say. At the visit day they implied there was a tiny possibility but don't count on it.

Is there any chance of you getting an A* in business?
TheMagpie

Have you applied for a Masters degree and could maybe accept the Bachelor's degree offer?
Reply 9
It might depend on your department really. My offer was 320 points and I only got 280 but they still gave me the place, didn't have to call them up to beg. :smile:
Reply 10
Well, what I and Melting Sugar have said is the official Business School line, so applies to the OP.
English Lang/Lit is piss-easy to get an A at, tbf.
Reply 12
Missed by 1 UMS last year and didn't get in for physics and general applicant numbers have gone up this year so try your best to get the grades, don't have the attitude that you may still get accepted with lower than the offer. Good luck!
Reply 13
Competition is already extremely high for those sort of courses, I doubt you'll get in without the grades. Some other departments are slightly more leniant though.
I do International Business and I know at least 2 people in my group of friends who got in this year with lower grades than required, one of them certainly got ABB.
Reply 15
Thanks for the replies. I obviously don't want to risk it and will try to get the grades. Oh well I suppose it's a case of crossing that bridge if and when I come to it.
Reply 16
irrelevant question really, you've already applied so you're just going to have wait until results day to see if they have accepted you in, it shouldnt change the way you work cos you should be aiming for the best grades possible anyway!
Reply 17
At our school if we don't meet our grades our eccentric head of careers phones up and puts in a really good word.
Reply 18
So I got my offer from Loughborough for Psychology (which I am so beyond excited about!!) and they want me to get ABB which hopefully will be possible but I'm still really nervous about it! Does anyone know if they do or would they ever have the possibility of dropping grades? I've put them as my firm!!:smile:
Original post by bertini
So I got my offer from Loughborough for Psychology (which I am so beyond excited about!!) and they want me to get ABB which hopefully will be possible but I'm still really nervous about it! Does anyone know if they do or would they ever have the possibility of dropping grades? I've put them as my firm!!:smile:

I got an offer for psychology at Loughborough as well! I'm not so sure that I'm gonna be able to get ABB, but everyone that I have spoken to at Loughborough (including someone doing the course) said they got a grade lower than required

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending