The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am 17
if I am 16 i even haven't finish my study in secondary school
but here, we can get many part time job
Reply 21
I don't understand how it can be too hard to get a job, i have just turned 17 and have had 6 jobs and numerous interviews, Just make sure your CV and everything is all Accurate and shows yourself in a good light.
Reply 22
I have been working since I was 14 (now nearly 22), I started working weekends as a waitress in a restaurant/pub when I was 14.

If people have no experience, they must be willing to start at the bottom and work their way up- thats what I did and Im sure lots of other people did too.
Reply 23
i guess it depends on where u live aswell tho - hehe i just got a job interview so maybe things r looking up :biggrin:
Reply 24
I think you should look at Connexions, they can put you on a register with the types of jobs you are looking for, and then they'll send out details when jobs come available. Most are for 16-18 year olds. I think there is a site with them listed on as well.
I know!! i'm 16 and it's so difficult to get a job. Also, there's not many jobs that are really that suitable anyway becuase

1) It can't be during school hours as I'm starting 6th form now.
2) It can't be more than about 10 hours a week because I don't want to be too distracted from my studies.
3) It has to be fairly neaby (no more than 20 mins in car) and preferably accessible by bus if i can't get a lift.

So even if you do find a job to fit those requirements, you probably haven't got that much experience so you've gotta really stand out at an interview!

It's so annoying isn't it! I'd say just keep trying! And good luck with the job interview :smile:

MissSurfer
Reply 26
Mcdonalds is normally hiring :p:
*has been working in his dad's restaurant since 14*
Reply 27
MissSurfer
I know!! i'm 16 and it's so difficult to get a job. Also, there's not many jobs that are really that suitable anyway becuase

1) It can't be during school hours as I'm starting 6th form now.
2) It can't be more than about 10 hours a week because I don't want to be too distracted from my studies.
3) It has to be fairly neaby (no more than 20 mins in car) and preferably accessible by bus if i can't get a lift.

So even if you do find a job to fit those requirements, you probably haven't got that much experience so you've gotta really stand out at an interview!

It's so annoying isn't it! I'd say just keep trying! And good luck with the job interview :smile:

MissSurfer

According to my uncle the best place to get a job is a supermarket. They pay (at worst according to him) £4.50 an hours, if you do 15 hours a week its nearly £300 a month.
Should sort out some of your uni fees anyway.
Yeah...i might try my local supermarket.
Reply 29
Tell me about it...I've tired everywhere. Babysitting's not bad though - try that!!!!!!
I swear half our school works in the local Welcome Break which pays £5.98 ph after an initial training period!

That said, I don't actually work there but in WHSmith. I got my job by sending out letters to as many shops as possible and was lucky enough that they were hiring at the time and sent me an application form back. That said, we don't actually send out application forms any more nor do we accept CVs from people. If you've been trying shops then maybe go into town to pick up an application form as other companies could have similar policies and would rather you filled out one of their forms rather than had a CV. And as someone else said, now's the time to do it- lots of people are leaving for university and Christmas staff are generally recruited at the end of September- mid-October. I know we often keep temps on permanently (people tend to leave at the end of Christmas, too) so you never know...

Anyway, good luck!
Reply 31
Elusive Moose

That said, we don't actually send out application forms any more nor do we accept CVs from people. If you've been trying shops then maybe go into town to pick up an application form as other companies could have similar policies and would rather you filled out one of their forms rather than had a CV.

maybe thats why i only had one reply outta alot of letters sent :confused:
Reply 32
But you should try, at least! That's a good chance to work. That is where you can get experience!

Latest

Trending

Trending