The Student Room Group

Calling ALL Math SL students...A few questions please (=

So how are you revising for your exams?
I'm just doing past paper after past paper. Is this enough?

I have a few questions if anyone is kind enough to answer:smile:

1. I'm not that good with Calculus 2 and Trignometric equations. Do they cover a large portion of the exam?
2. I also noticed that they stopped asking questions about the interest rate question where you have to find a percentage of interest using ln and logs, etc. Just wondering, is this out of the syllabus? I know ln and log aren't, but these types of questions don't seem to exist any more.
3. Last question, I'm doing TZ2. Anyone else? I'm guessing everyone from the UK is TZ2?
satisfactionatlast
So how are you revising for your exams?
I'm just doing past paper after past paper. Is this enough?

I have a few questions if anyone is kind enough to answer:smile:

1. I'm not that good with Calculus 2 and Trignometric equations. Do they cover a large portion of the exam?
2. I also noticed that they stopped asking questions about the interest rate question where you have to find a percentage of interest using ln and logs, etc. Just wondering, is this out of the syllabus? I know ln and log aren't, but these types of questions don't seem to exist any more.
3. Last question, I'm doing TZ2. Anyone else? I'm guessing everyone from the UK is TZ2?

Never ever try to predict the content that might be on the Maths SL exams this week. May 2009 emphasized statistics and probability, while November 2010 had one question on statistics (my time zone - can't remember think its TZ2) and had loads of area/volume calculus and probability.

The only thing I would prepare for especially is probability, because it keeps on coming on the exams (although this can easily change), and it's easy points if you know what you're doing :smile:

I recommend reading over calculus/trig - you can't depend on your strengths to do well on the exam because they seem to emphasize random topics.

I'm going over exams and going over the topics I'm worst in (probability, vector parametrics and graph differentiation) and making sure that I understand the material and practice.

Just do the May 2009 exams, November 2010 exams and the specimen papers and then look at the markscheme for techniques, what they ask for, etc. :smile:
Reply 2
I thought the UK was TImezone 1?
yes I've been probably been through all papers from 06 to nov 09(both timezones) and the trig identities keep appearing in addition to differentiating/integrating equations containing sine/cos/e etc. they appear in paper 1 exams mainly

but if its in the paper 2 then just graph it on your GDC and differentiate/integrate the point.

However you MUST remember to write down all working, if you look through the mark schemes they award marks for each step of working out so although you may think that its obvious...I'd still recommend writing that part out!

All the best!
Reply 3
UK is TZ2

There will always be questions on Calculus, always

Trig is also there, there is usually a big one in Section B
ragnar_jonsson
Never ever try to predict the content that might be on the Maths SL exams this week. May 2009 emphasized statistics and probability, while November 2010 had one question on statistics (my time zone - can't remember think its TZ2) and had loads of area/volume calculus and probability.

The only thing I would prepare for especially is probability, because it keeps on coming on the exams (although this can easily change), and it's easy points if you know what you're doing :smile:

I recommend reading over calculus/trig - you can't depend on your strengths to do well on the exam because they seem to emphasize random topics.

I'm going over exams and going over the topics I'm worst in (probability, vector parametrics and graph differentiation) and making sure that I understand the material and practice.

Just do the May 2009 exams, November 2010 exams and the specimen papers and then look at the markscheme for techniques, what they ask for, etc. :smile:

But I've never heard about November 2010. Don't you mean November 2009?
Kiitherine
I thought the UK was TImezone 1?
yes I've been probably been through all papers from 06 to nov 09(both timezones) and the trig identities keep appearing in addition to differentiating/integrating equations containing sine/cos/e etc. they appear in paper 1 exams mainly

but if its in the paper 2 then just graph it on your GDC and differentiate/integrate the point.

However you MUST remember to write down all working, if you look through the mark schemes they award marks for each step of working out so although you may think that its obvious...I'd still recommend writing that part out!

All the best!

thanks you too!:smile:
Focus08
UK is TZ2

There will always be questions on Calculus, always

Trig is also there, there is usually a big one in Section B

thank you :smile:
satisfactionatlast
But I've never heard about November 2010. Don't you mean November 2009?

Oops, I meant 2009. :wink:
Focus08
Ragge

Is your Brown offer unconditional?

Indeed it is; well conditional on good semester "grades" and me taking the ACT w/ writing this June, but that's all in the bag.

I'm still aiming for 40, mainly for scholarship purposes and because it would seem pointless to give up in the final stretch.
Reply 9
ragnar_jonsson
Indeed it is; well conditional on good semester "grades" and me taking the ACT w/ writing this June, but that's all in the bag.

I'm still aiming for 40, mainly for scholarship purposes and because it would seem pointless to give up in the final stretch.

Ewwww Brown. I have a few friends going there but my parents wouldn't even let me apply because 'it's too liberal and i'd have no friends' :yep:

Atleast Brown > Cornell. I know one girl going to Brown who is so fit yet only got in because her dad is tight with the head of admissions :s-smilie:
ragnar_jonsson

I heard Emma Watson goes there. You'll get to meet her. Lucky you!:p:
Harris
Ewwww Brown. I have a few friends going there but my parents wouldn't even let me apply because 'it's too liberal and i'd have no friends' :yep:

Atleast Brown > Cornell. I know one girl going to Brown who is so fit yet only got in because her dad is tight with the head of admissions :s-smilie:

I dislike Cornell. Brown is wonderful :smile:
Reply 12
ragnar_jonsson
I dislike Cornell. Brown is wonderful :smile:

Have you visited? I always imagine Brown as a hub for Marxists, Environmentalists, Feminists, Gays and future university professors. But hey, Kudos for getting into an ivy league. :p:

I meant that in all honesty, some of my friends faced many rejections this year.
Harris
Have you visited? I always imagine Brown as a hub for Marxists, Environmentalists, Feminists, Gays and future university professors. But hey, Kudos for getting into an ivy league. :p:

I meant that in all honesty, some of my friends faced many rejections this year.

Well, Brown is a wonderful place. && Just because someone is radical doesn't mean they're necessarily worse people.

Latest

Trending

Trending