The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What happens if you fail an exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
j-b
yo does anyone here know how it works for second year? I mean if I get like one high 2.1
(65%+) on a module and one of my grades is like a 2.3 (46%), will an aggregate be taken at the end of my four modules? to show my overall performance, much in the same way as A-levels, or is just a straight system of individual module results. thanks
You get four individual results. Aggregating only applies in first year.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
A quick question, how will doing generally badly in the first year affect getting a 2.1 or 1st overall? For example if I were to fail one module and not do very well in the rest (2.2/3rd).
as much as getting a 2.2/3 in one of your second or third year modules. so not very much
Torak
A quick question, how will doing generally badly in the first year affect getting a 2.1 or 1st overall? For example if I were to fail one module and not do very well in the rest (2.2/3rd).

Well that one you fail is discarded and the other three are averaged into one. Then in the second and third years you do four modules, making the total nine.

To get a 1st or 2.1 you need five modules of that grade type (or four but with a high aggregate) e.g. 4 70s 5 65s gives first overall, 5 70s 4 passes gives 1st overall.

But of course if you fail a unit you'll have to retake it in the second year and that may mess up your efforts on other modules...
Butting in here sorry. I tried search and didn't work... What happens if you fail a second year module? I'm actually thinking of deliberately failing a module as I know I can get a better mark next year (2.1 at least) but I just don't have the time to revise it properly. If I ditch this, I can get a really high first in another module so it's playing with the system.

My reservations are:
1. Is there a cap on marks for retakes?
2. Would it go on a transcript of some kind for all eternity?
3. Would it seriously affect predicted grades?

Thanks in advance for ANY information anyone has to offer. I am really quite desperate...
falls_whisper
Butting in here sorry. I tried search and didn't work... What happens if you fail a second year module? I'm actually thinking of deliberately failing econometrics (in 4 days) as I know I can get a better mark next year (2.1 at least) but I just don't have the time to revise it properly. If I ditch this, I can get a really high first in Logic (entirely possible) so it's playing with the system.

My reservations are:
1. Is there a cap on marks for retakes?
2. Would it go on a transcript of some kind for all eternity?
3. Would it seriously affect predicted grades?

Thanks in advance for ANY information anyone has to offer. I am really quite desperate...

Provided you have passed all your first year modules, failing one (and only one) second year module will not affect your progression and you'll retake it next year automatically.

There's no cap on retakes.

Your other points I'm not sure and would like an answer to also :smile:
Reply 46
Sports Racer
Provided you have passed all your first year modules, failing one (and only one) second year module will not affect your progression and you'll retake it next year automatically.

There's no cap on retakes.

Your other points I'm not sure and would like an answer to also :smile:

To clarify, is there no cap on a module if you retake it having once failed it before? (i.e. if you failed first year EC102, you could retake it in second year without being capped at 40%?) Or am I just confusing myself?
Xeijin
To clarify, is there no cap on a module if you retake it having once failed it before? (i.e. if you failed first year EC102, you could retake it in second year without being capped at 40%?) Or am I just confusing myself?

You understood correctly; if you fail EC102 you have the opportunity to score 100% in the second year.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/studentServicesCentre/examinationsAndResults/examsAndResultsUg/Re-sitRegs.aspx
Reply 48
Sports Racer
You understood correctly; if you fail EC102 you have the opportunity to score 100% in the second year.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/studentServicesCentre/examinationsAndResults/examsAndResultsUg/Re-sitRegs.aspx

Thanks, just another question. If you score high enough in the failed first year module will the first year average be changed retrospectively?
Xeijin
Thanks, just another question. If you score high enough in the failed first year module will the first year average be changed retrospectively?

As far as I know, yes. Your first year module result is the average of your 3 highest module grades, so if you resit and do very well then it'll be the average of your resitted module and your best other 2 (assuming your resit goes better than your worst module!).
Reply 50
j-b
yo does anyone here know how it works for second year? I mean if I get like one high 2.1
(65%+) on a module and one of my grades is like a 2.3 (46%), will an aggregate be taken at the end of my four modules? to show my overall performance, much in the same way as A-levels, or is just a straight system of individual module results. thanks

I'm pretty sure they just look at the grade, regardless of whether it's high or low.
Reply 51
Also,
LSE website

If you are a second year student: if you have failed one full unit or less (in a second year paper), then you will automatically progress into your third year of study. If you have failed a first year paper again, or have failed more than one full unit, then you cannot normally progress into your third year. You will be contacted by the Student Progress Panel in late July with re-entry and progression instructions. Please contact them directly with any progression queries on [email protected]
Reply 52
can anyone please tell me where i can find the min requirements to change degree (from Act Sci to say Maths & Econ, Accounting & Finance, BMS etc). I can only find the min requirements for Econ... or a contact name would be very helpful. :smile:
LSEactuary
can anyone please tell me where i can find the min requirements to change degree (from Act Sci to say Maths & Econ, Accounting & Finance, BMS etc). I can only find the min requirements for Econ... or a contact name would be very helpful. :smile:

Changing from Act Sci to BMS is VERY easy as they have a pretty much identical first year. I know people who have changed from BMS to M&E and to A&F, so it is also relatively easy.

As for the actual requirements, unfortunately I can't remember the specific requirements. Obviously it'll help if you do one of the relevant modules in your first year (e.g. if moving into A&F then doing AC100 in first year will be the obvious choice).

If I recall collectly, you have to get a 2:1 average in your first year in order to change course, although that's only a vague memory so I can't be sure that it's correct!
Reply 54
Pedsdude
Changing from Act Sci to BMS is VERY easy as they have a pretty much identical first year. I know people who have changed from BMS to M&E and to A&F, so it is also relatively easy.

As for the actual requirements, unfortunately I can't remember the specific requirements. Obviously it'll help if you do one of the relevant modules in your first year (e.g. if moving into A&F then doing AC100 in first year will be the obvious choice).

If I recall collectly, you have to get a 2:1 average in your first year in order to change course, although that's only a vague memory so I can't be sure that it's correct!

okay thanks... do you know who to contact to confirm as they seem to be changing conditions yearly.... also im confident i got a 2:1 average in year 1 - but does your '4th' module mark matter that much when switching?
Reply 55
LSEactuary
okay thanks... do you know who to contact to confirm as they seem to be changing conditions yearly.... also im confident i got a 2:1 average in year 1 - but does your '4th' module mark matter that much when switching?

Depends on what you want to switch to. E.g. if your 4th mark was a 40 in ma100/st102/ma103 for m&e or bms I doubt they will take you.
Reply 56
astudent
Depends on what you want to switch to. E.g. if your 4th mark was a 40 in ma100/st102/ma103 for m&e or bms I doubt they will take you.

for M&E how bad can your EC102 mark be? because that module mark is the only prob for me....
Reply 57
LSEactuary
for M&E how bad can your EC102 mark be? because that module mark is the only prob for me....

Well with m&e you do ec202 in year 2 so i guess you would need at least a 50, but as long as your ma100 and st102 are good you shouldn't worry too much unless you've done really badly in econb
LSEactuary

email someone in the department/your advisor. they can give you the requirements.
Chrisateen
I found out that you don't if its one resit the next year. You only pay for resits if you failed more than 1 papers and have to take a year out to resit them

What happens if you just pass 2, due to poor exam technique (but get an average of more than 120?) Must you take a year out? Isn't it your choice whether you continue into second year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending