The Student Room Group

I want to leave school.

There we are really I want to leave school at 16. Trouble is, I know she can't stop me physically, but I know my mother will do everything in her power to stop this hapening. How do I bring it up? And also when can you start applying for employmeny?

Edit: The reason I want to leave is that I have no idea whatsoever what I want to do. Personaly, I think staying on for the sake of staying on is a waste. One day I might decide to go back to school but right now I know it's not for me.
Reply 1
Dont do it.

You will regret it. Unless you have a amazing talent for something or you do an apprenticeship.

Otherwise, when your 26 and on minimum wage working your guts out you will regret it I promise!
rj1990
Dont do it.

You will regret it. Unless you have a amazing talent for something or you do an apprenticeship.

Otherwise, when your 26 and on minimum wage working your guts out you will regret it I promise!

i agree...a levels or some college course are such a good back up to have. don't do it, its only a couple more years, and you get so many free periods. if you don't like your school, why don't you change and try another one. you might enjoy it more
Reply 3
I left school at 16 and did an apprenticship! Dont do it!, go to college and uni.

Im now 22, and going to uni in September :biggrin:
Reply 4
i really would just stick out two more years to be honest. and it doesnt have to be in a school 6th form. it can be a 6th form in a college. i do that now and honestly its sooo much better... tons of freedom.. no assemblies or any of that malarky... loads more people and social and theres no like "groups" or clicks you can just talk to who you want :biggrin:
Reply 5
don't do it. you've done 16 years, your GCSEs would be for nothing.
Reply 6
In the 21st century, for a decent job, a levels and/or a degree are essential.
Just picture yourself doing the same minimum wage job for 50 years, thinking just two years of a levels and you could of had a better standard of living :smile:
Well it's your choice but you may well regret this. You'll have to be willing to take on pretty much any job, as you might not get your 'dream' job due to your lack of qualifications. You never know though, you could be a Sir Alan Sugar in the making...
Please don't leave school with just GCSEs and then try and get a job.
You don't have to stay at school to get qualifications :smile:
depends on hard working you are.

if you're a reasonably intelligent person, who's willing to work hard, but dont like academia. dropping out makes sense.

or if you're content with a very very average life, drop out.

otherwise, man up
Reply 10
You'll regret it. You'll feel left out while posting on student room as the vast majority of us (if not all, as this is really why student room was first created) are either at school or uni students.

At GCSE honestly (even a level), anyone can achieve the top grades. Just buy some books for GCSE (ask your mum if she's so desperate you stay at school), make sure you get the ones from the relevant exam board for each subject. Work through that, go through past papers etc.

If the problem isn't grades, it's just that you're sick of school, just persevere with it. Lots of people hate school (I did too to some extent), you'll just have to stick with it.
Reply 11
MrCharmed
There we are really I want to leave school at 16. Trouble is, I know she can't stop me physically, but I know my mother will do everything in her power to stop this hapening. How do I bring it up? And also when can you start applying for employmeny?

Edit: The reason I want to leave is that I have no idea whatsoever what I want to do. Personaly, I think staying on for the sake of staying on is a waste. One day I might decide to go back to school but right now I know it's not for me.

I entirly agree with you. I hate the idea of staying on at school for no reason. most people in my country/year can leave when they turn 16 or if they turn 16 before oct 1st....My bday is in december and I have to stay on for 4 extra months because of that? I am not. I refuse to do something THAT POINTLESS. I would be wasting my own time, aswell as teachers times. I always dog school as I hate it and it would just consume my teachers time for no good reason. I think the only point I would go in is the day of the NABs and fail them all in one fell-swoop so that I would be forced to drop every subject, therefor having a empty timetable ^.^
what is the need? you don't need to say something like that in that way, that's put me off everything. learn to be a bit nicer kid
Reply 13
Original post by MatthewT3249
what is the need? you don't need to say something like that in that way, that's put me off everything. learn to be a bit nicer kid

Please look at the post date on this thread.
Original post by Will1692
In the 21st century, for a decent job, a levels and/or a degree are essential.
Just picture yourself doing the same minimum wage job for 50 years, thinking just two years of a levels and you could of had a better standard of living :smile:

I honestly wouldn't start trying to scare people if I was you, that's dangerous.
Original post by rj1990
Dont do it.

Not true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending