The Student Room Group

General A level History help (OLD SPEC)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hi I need HELP i'm doing ideology,conflict and retreat with edexcel I need hellpp :frown:
The vietnam stuff is really confusing me I don't know what I need to learn there is so much! I've looked for a specification but get confused does anyone know where the spec is, we're learning all about mihn and diem and tet and the presidents ect.
Any help would be appreciated! :biggrin:
Reply 101
did the nature of rebellions change in the course of the tudor period essay? Can somebody please help me as i have no clue what to write about
Can someone help me with the 30mark questions? I self teach history and I'm stuck in the mud regarding the essay technique :L

Any form of help appreciated :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by justanotherindigo
Can someone help me with the 30mark questions? I self teach history and I'm stuck in the mud regarding the essay technique :L

Any form of help appreciated :smile:

Write down your exact viewpoint on the question in a sentence or two (e.g. The First World War acted only as a Catalyst to the Tsar's downfall) then go through the main factors you deem significant enough paragraph by paragraph.
Original post by Kerny
Write down your exact viewpoint on the question in a sentence or two (e.g. The First World War acted only as a Catalyst to the Tsar's downfall) then go through the main factors you deem significant enough paragraph by paragraph.

Firstly, thanks for the help!

This is the question : 'To what extent was lack of popular support the main obstacle to Italian Unification in the period 1830-49?'

How many points would I mention? Some that I could include here are: lack of unity/organisation (e.g. revolutionaries in Bologna refused to send help to Modena, the uprisings were not organised and so were easily crushed by the Austrians), lack of international support (revolutions of 1820-12, 1831-2), the Congress of Vienna, Austrian domination, regional identities being more important than nationalistic ideas (e.g. Mazzini's 'Young Italy' and intellectual ideas not being favoured/understood by many) and the Catholic Church being a barrier towards unification. I am aware that I need to use the PEEL structure for my paragraphs and the conclusion should be the summary of ideas. But how do I start the introduction?

Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 105
Firstly, thanks for the help!

This is the question : 'To what extent was lack of popular support the main obstacle to Italian Unification in the period 1830-49?'

How many points would I mention? Some that I could include here are: lack of unity/organisation (e.g. revolutionaries in Bologna refused to send help to Modena, the uprisings were not organised and so were easily crushed by the Austrians), lack of international support (revolutions of 1820-12, 1831-2), the Congress of Vienna, Austrian domination, regional identities being more important than nationalistic ideas (e.g. Mazzini's 'Young Italy' and intellectual ideas not being favoured/understood by many) and the Catholic Church being a barrier towards unification. I am aware that I need to use the PEEL structure for my paragraphs and the conclusion should be the summary of ideas. But how do I start the introduction?

Thank you very much! :smile:

What is your overall argument for the question?
Original post by Kerny
What is your overall argument for the question?

I've written a response for a different question. Would you mind if I PM'd it to you? If not then don't worry :smile:
Reply 107
I've written a response for a different question. Would you mind if I PM'd it to you? If not then don't worry :smile:

Well sure if you want.
Hey,

I really need an A in history this year so I'm going to start working from 3-4 different text books. Can anyone give me some advice on how to revise/make notes from different text books ??

Reply 109
Guys I have a question about essay structure for the unit 1 exam. I really would like to get a high A in history because it is one of my favourite subjects.

I have been getting decent marks throughout the year in the essays, but my only qualm is the essay structure. Typically the question starts like "how far do you agree..." or "How signficant"/"How important is ...." and so my teacher always tells us to have "3 factors" and establish which factor is the most important in the introduction by saying "the most important factor is...". Then we have been told to deal with the other two factors in the main paragraphs of the essay, making a link between each factor and why it is not as important as another factor, thereby proving the argument. The conclusion is just meant to be a summary explaining how all the factors inter-link.

I find the conclusions ok, and the introductions too and they are usually positive points on my essay feedback. However I struggle with the main body - with my "links" (so to speak) and "Proving my argument". For me the essay structure is rigid and I find it extremely difficult trying to find a link that will prove the primacy of one factor over another. Can't I just provide a general link between the factors in the main body, discuss their importance in relation to the question and then make the final judgement in the conclusion ? im kinda stuck :frown:

Also my only point of contention with the introductions is that stating "the most important factor is..." isn't really an evaluative style. I thought we had to weigh up different causes and influences first, before we could come to a reasoned and logical judgement. So my question is:

What is the best way to approach unit 1 essay questions? What is the best essay structure? How hass your teacher told you to structure the essay?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
Hiya, basically I have an excellent quote for an essay on the Purges (Russia 1913-53) from Stephen Cohen and I know that it's genuine because we were given a list of quotes from our teacher, but I cannot seem to find a book to reference it from and I can't lie in an official essay and myteacher can't really help. If someone could please help it would be much appreciated, here's the quote:

"you cannot explain the Great Terror against the Party without focusing on Stalin’s personality."

​Thanks
Hi, for the British Depth Study (Paper 2) (1890-1918) the specification reads 'The effectiveness of the different tactics and the reactions of the authorities including Lloyd George and Asquith' (to the votes for women campaign)

I know Lloyd George supported the vote, but I can't find his reaction to their campaign anywhere!

Please help, Thanks :smile:
Hi, just wondering if you still have the layout for the exam questions? I got a U in the summer but resitting it I was great on my knowledge but really struggled in the writing of the essays if you still have it that would be great thanks
Reply 113
Original post by scousegirl
Hi, just wondering if you still have the layout for the exam questions? I got a U in the summer but resitting it I was great on my knowledge but really struggled in the writing of the essays if you still have it that would be great thanks

If you got a U I highly doubt your knowledge was that great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Anywhere I can find the AQA coursework stuff online?
Reply 115
Original post by scousegirl

It all depends on the exam board...I can help with AQA- but they differ hugely.
Can offer help with AQA history: Units HIS 1G, 2L and 3G but also general exam technique
Reply 117
hi
i will start my coursework for edexcel history soon and am supposed to choose someone who helped the british empire( i have a list to choose from) is anyone doing the same as me? And does anyone have advice on who i should choose?
Original post by AliKhan96
hi
i will start my coursework for edexcel history soon and am supposed to choose someone who helped the british empire( i have a list to choose from) is anyone doing the same as me? And does anyone have advice on who i should choose?

Not doing the coursework but which individuals are on this list? and I would suggest choosing the two or three you seem most interested in writing about, doing some research and then choosing one
Reply 119
I'm going to start writing my coursework in a week, the topic is Russia 1854-1940 (?) and I literally know nothing about Lenin or Stalin or The great purges, are there any good websites for this? Also, are there any examples of coursework online? I need to see what the writing style and source analysis is like because my teacher hasn't told me D: I would appreciate any help so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending