The Student Room Group

FOR all sociology A level students

I'm planning to take sociology for my A levels. I was wondering whether any A level students who have already done sociology or doing it at the moment recommend this subject. Is it hard? easy? do universities recommend it? has it got to do more with memorisation...........any advice? i heard that universities dont prefer students taking this subject...is it true?

thanx
Reply 1
i did an a-level in it and i'd recommend it...it's easy! All you have to do is a learn a few theories and names before you go into the exam and you're sorted, although it helps if you're good at essay writing. It's pretty interesting too; it really made me see the world in a different light, and the coursework (for AQA) is quite fun too, especially if you choose a good topic. I did 'Body Image among Teenage Girls' and it was really good!

As for universties not liking it, that might be true for places like Oxbridge, but i got offers from all the unis i applied for, and they were all pretty high up in the league tables.
Sociology is a great subject! It's really interesting, and if you're good at remembering names and dates and writing essays, it's pretty easy. It's not a 'traditional' subject, but as long as your other subjects are, it shouldn't stop you from getting offers.
Actually, I don't know of any uni which really discriminates against it, and people with a sociology degree can get all kinds of good jobs, so it's a respectable subject.

As for it's easyness, it's not too bad, AS is chucking down names and theories with some criticisms and a little opinion at the end.

For the second year far more evaluation is needed, after every other line you need to question what people said etc, but if you work hard you can get an A in it...
Reply 4
Sociology is great! Loved it - could take another 2 years of it without getting bored!

It’s great for all types of courses - anything to do with people (eg medicine), society, history - anything really as you explore the inner workings of society and how different theories consider areas such as inequality and its reasons, the family, crime, and more. I found it my easiest A2 level, but then as I liked it the subject was easier overall

Id say go for it, and don’t really think that many universities will look down upon the subject
Not too difficult, but not easy, and quite interesting - that's how I found it :smile:
Reply 6
Sociology is a really interesting a mind opening subject. Its not too difficult if you memorise a few theories and their names and what they say. I dont know any universities that criticizes Sociology. It also depends on the examing board. My Sociology exam was by OCR which also involved a personal study. That was really intersting and overall i achieved a grade B. Im not too sure how AQA moderate Sociology but id recommend OCR.

Maybe other posts can shed light to AQA or OCR Sociology.
Reply 7
marzan

Maybe other posts can shed light to AQA or OCR Sociology.
It's swings and roundabouts and only really an issue if your planning on a sociology degree; OCR is more contemporary and matches the way sociology is taught at degree level, AQA gives a better depth of understanding on some issues.

Latest

Trending

Trending