The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

The ask a 2nd/3rd year a question thread

Hello Lancastrians and Lancastrians to be! :smile:

I thought I would start a thread that could help Freshers or those loooking at applying for 2006 entry ask any questions about courses, the town and most importantly student life.

I know there are a few of us on TSR that are going into our second and third years at Lancs so it would be good if some of us could help out as uni is a fantastic place and time for most people but for some it can take a little time to settle in.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The intro week guide that you get in your pack is now online see it http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/cro/introweek.htm
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Yey! I've looked at mine - there's so much to do!
Reply 3
Im going up for freshers week - always a good party time as there is no work/lectures to be going to.
hey i have a question, is the internet connection on campus restrcted at all. can you play games over the internet with it and use programs such as msn, and file sharing programs?

cheers!
Reply 5
You can use Msn if you set the proxy setting correctly. You cannot use file sharing in the normal p2p way but Lancs uni has its own file sharing network on campus - this is unoffical made by students a few years ago called LUser net (try and google it it used to have a website but there are CD's with it on going aroud)..basically those who have the programme can file share with others across campus so you can get lots of different things you know what i mean :smile:
Reply 6
Is it true that webcams are blocked on the server?
Reply 7
Not sure about that as I dont know anyone who has tried one.
I've already asked about this - so not sure if you might have answered my Q before - but what is the mobile and TV reception like in Campus? In particular in Pendle...
Reply 9
Mobile reception - I'm on O2 and haven't had any problems. One of my flatmates was on 3 and the signal was pretty poor. Most of my friends that I know of are on O2 so I'm not sure about Vodafone and Orange (although my friend from home visited and hasn't had any trouble being on Orange).

TV reception - Not great. I was in old Lonsdale and it varied greatly from room to room. My BBC2 was perfect but it was a real struggle to get channel 4. The girl next door got really good channel four though. It really depends on where abouts you are on campus. You'll probably find that you need a booster aerial if you want to stand a chance of any kind of reception (my parents went to Dixons the day I moved in and the place was full of people buying them)!
Reply 10
I have one of those freeview boxes, will this work in Furness college. Do they have those hole in the wall things where you connect the tv aerial or do we have to depend on those ones you buy from shops.
Reply 11
They dont have roof ariels (eg holes in the wall :smile: ) you will need to buy a portable ariel with a booster (I got mine from Tesco's for about £10) to get any picture and the quality of it is just a luck of where your room is. I had good reception on mine in old Cartmel but my friend in the room across from me was rubbish.
Reply 12
How many ppl will we have to share a fridge with????
Reply 13
That depends on what college you are in, but when I was in halls there were 11 people on the floor and two fridges and one freezer.
Reply 14
only 2 fridges for 11 people!!!!!! was that enough??
I'm ordering a booster aerial as we speak :wink:
Reply 16
The only thing I will miss on TV is neighbours but I can get around that.

Still gonna bring up a combi TV/Video for my video collection and Pro Evo on the PS2 :biggrin:
JoeFen
The only thing I will miss on TV is neighbours but I can get around that.

Me too! Good to meet a fellow fan!
Reply 18
I'm pretty sure there'll be someone in your halls who has neighbours on their tv so make friends with them! Just drop hints about how much you're missing seeing the gorgeous Harold Bishop everyday and I'm sure they'll invite you round to watch.
Reply 19
LauraB84
I'm pretty sure there'll be someone in your halls who has neighbours on their tv so make friends with them! Just drop hints about how much you're missing seeing the gorgeous Harold Bishop everyday and I'm sure they'll invite you round to watch.

Or Sky. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending