The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

International student needing some assistance

Hey,

I'm a 3rd year student in Canada and I'll be going on an exchange to Leeds in January, 2011.

At the moment, I need some help trying to figure out which residence would be best for me. I'm looking for the following:

-Near campus (preferably within 10 minutes walking distance)

-In a safe area

-Not ridiculously expensive

-Self-catered

-Sociable atmosphere

-Close to any grocery stores/supermarkets, bus stops, etc.

-Not a beat-up, run-down building

I realize that I'm probably setting my sights too high here but I'm obviously willing to make sacrifices in some areas.

From what I've been told, you have meals at specific times in catered halls and if you don't take that meal, you lose it. I chose self-catered for this reason - so I can eat at a time of my choosing.

As for the residences owned by iQ, unite and any other private companies, is there any reason why one would choose these over the residences owned by UofLeeds (or vice versa)? The iQ/unite/etc. residences seem a lot nicer and similar in price but I have no idea how they compare in terms of their distance from campus. Are there any pros/cons I'm unaware of here?

Sociable atmosphere: I don't mind hanging out with other international students, but I still intend on branching out. I can handle parties and I've had my fair share of them here but my main concern is if halls will be quiet when they need to be (around 11pm-7am on weekday night, 24/7 during exams, etc.). Other than that, I'm just looking for a place where the residents can have some fun but wont get rowdy. I like the look of Devonshire but unfortunately it seems like they don't allow any parties at all. However, is this really a problem if they still hold frequent social events?

I also plan on travelling while I'm there. I'm not sure if that plays a part in the decision but you guys might know something I don't.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks.

Latest