Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What you wish you'd been told before coming to Oxford

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    Ah ok, I presume that you're in a more modern college then? You're still (I assume) living in/around Oxford though, which is practically ancient!
    yes, i used to live in this fantastic building Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3414623599_203060c0a5_z.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	162463

and next year i'll live in cowley...
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moritzplatz)
    yes, i used to live in this fantastic building Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3414623599_203060c0a5_z.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	162463

and next year i'll live in cowley...
    To be fair, it's probably a listed building, a spectacular 1960s architectural wonder, or something like that!

You can't convince me of it's ugly-ness and lack of history.

I live in Milton Keynes.
    (although it's a perfectly fine place to live...just slightly uninspiring for a History student)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    To be fair, it's probably a listed building, a spectacular 1960s architectural wonder, or something like that!

You can't convince me of it's ugly-ness and lack of history.

I live in Milton Keynes.
    (although it's a perfectly fine place to live...just slightly uninspiring for a History student)
    yes it is listed and from the sixties, good guess
    maybe it's just that i was used to live 200 meters from the colosseum in rome...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes it is listed and from the sixties, good guess
    maybe it's just that i was used to live 200 meters from the colosseum in rome...
    Then you were probably sick of the tourists - as I would guess would be the case if you went to ChCh?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would have applied to a college like Chch, merton, worcester or queens..

just because it feels more being at oxford in colleges like them! (and also for the rowing side of the matter...)
    Just out of interest, why Queen's? It doesn't often get compared to Christ Church — and we too have the delights of a sixties building in first year …

Spoiler:
    Show
    not that it's not lovely though
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    Just out of interest, why Queen's? It doesn't often get compared to Christ Church — and we too have the delights of a sixties building in first year …

Spoiler:
    Show
    not that it's not lovely though
    what my college lacks is a really nice building that makes it look like an oxford college.

for example the main quad of queens is amazing. at hilda's we have nothing like that.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do we have access to all of the content on JSTOR and other similar sites whilst at Oxford?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Do we have access to all of the content on JSTOR and other similar sites whilst at Oxford?
    It's not all of JSTOR's content but seems to be a substantial portion. You can see what's generally available here: http://ejournals.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktr)
    It's not all of JSTOR's content but seems to be a substantial portion. You can see what's generally available here: http://ejournals.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/
    Many thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)

Almost everything, I almost exploded when I realized how many articles I have access too. I've stockpiled sci articles for the future
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mournfulpirate)
    Almost everything, I almost exploded when I realized how many articles I have access too. I've stockpiled sci articles for the future
    Lovely. :holmes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see many of the points have already been covered. I'll add an extra bit of advice for Historians.

Pick and choose which lectures you go to - don't bother going to all of them as many of the tutors will recommend. You will learn from speaking with older students which lecturers are excellent and which are poor (do not waste your research time with the latter). You will also find that going to a lecture on a topic you wrote an essay on the week before won't usually contribute anything to your understanding of the topic (lectures are meant to be general guidelines, rather than lessons as some may be used to from school). In first year, beware of some lecturers who may well say "I understand you are writing an essay on this topic soon, so let us forget the schedule and talk about something completely different!"

At least in first year, your essays will generally be awful and they WILL to be torn to pieces in every tutorial no matter how good or bad it is!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanbrugh)
    At least in first year, your essays will generally be awful and they WILL to be torn to pieces in every tutorial no matter how good or bad it is!
    This happened for 3 years for me... I don't think you can ever write a truly satisfactory tutorial essay.

General goings on would be me reading my essay. Tutor stopping, pausing, stroking invisible beard and saying.

"Ok... good! But..." and the subject of the tutorial would be raised, and it would be whatever glaring thing I forgot.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    - Classical Chinese is horrible.

- Everyone who comes to Oxford is clever, but only about a 1/3rd of them are passionate about their subject.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aquatius)

- Everyone who comes to Oxford is clever, but only about a 1/3rd of them are passionate about their subject.

Is it the same for postgrads?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    that I didn't get in.

Oh god, I remember you. Blast from the past.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aquatius)

LOL. You may speak for the language students, but this is not true.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanbrugh)
    (lectures are meant to be general guidelines, rather than lessons as some may be used to from school).
    Urm... isn't it not that you go to Uni to get an education rather than just a 'guideline'?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Urm... isn't it not that you go to Uni to get an education rather than just a 'guideline'?
    Not the person who made the statement, but I think what they may have meant was that attending the history lectures provides you with a guideline for the topic generally which are fleshed out in your own reading and essay writing and tutorials. You don't get everything you need to know from the lectures themselves.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktr)
    Not the person who made the statement, but I think what they may have meant was that attending the history lectures provides you with a guideline for the topic generally which are fleshed out in your own reading and essay writing and tutorials. You don't get everything you need to know from the lectures themselves.
    Of course not; but the idea that you just get a 'guideline' from a lecture is just not worth the amount you're expected to pay them...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 25, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.