The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope, not a jot when there's mitigating circumstances like that. Not taking them at all looks better than taking 10 and only passing four. As long as that's made clear on your applications for the (few) universities that really care about SG/GCSEs, then that'll be fine. You should have a shot at Oxford or Cambridge with those grades. If you don't get in, then I'd really recommend staying in Scotland. You'll get your pick of any course at any Scottish university with those grades, and there's three or four fantastic ones that don't cost a penny to study at, vs potentially £15,000 in fees alone over four years in England. Unless you get into Oxford or Cambridge, for the money and quality of education, there's no way I'd have left Scotland for undergraduate.
----
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
tryingtolearn94
I've taken 6 highers and just completed 4 AH, and gotten A's-A*s for all of them (predicted for the AH, of course, but i think i did pretty well)

However, at standard grade level, i only sat 4 because ( 2 sg + 2 int2) because of what was available at my school (same school as my sister, coincidently)

I got 1's/A's in all of them, however i was wondering if the small amount that i took would hinder my chances of getting into a good university?

Also, i have done numerous extra-curricular activities, including D of E, volunteering, school paper, student counsel etc.

I'm a little confused, what year are you in?

I don't understand how you did 4 SGs/Int 2s but 6 Highers? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a school which didn't offer at least eight different SGs/Int 2s. If you're thinking of applying to somewhere which requires Int 2/SG Maths then I think you will need it then... Perhaps e-mail the unis to check with them?

But like 0404343m said, in general Standard Grades don't really mean much, especially in your circumstances.
i go to a private school in the north of scotland, and most of my subjects bypassed int 2/sg and went straight on to the higher course in s4. pretty much skiving in s3, especially history
Reply 5
tryingtolearn94
i go to a private school in the north of scotland, and most of my subjects bypassed int 2/sg and went straight on to the higher course in s4. pretty much skiving in s3, especially history

So effectively, you crashed two Highers? :p: Are you in S6?
pretty much! yeh, just finished s6 :smile:
Reply 7
Well for a few reasons I call b*llsh*t

I've taken 6 highers and just completed 4 AH, and gotten A's-A*s for all of them

A*'s in Scotland get real! also the fact you have 94 at the end of your name likely to indicate the year you were born which would put you in 4th year although that is purely guesswork

However, at standard grade level, i only sat 4 because ( 2 sg + 2 int2) because of what was available at my school (same school as my sister, coincidently)

I Challenge you to find any High School in Scotland that only offers 4 subjects. If you did go to such a school name it!
Reply 8
ScoCmac
Well for a few reasons I call b*llsh*t

A*'s in Scotland get real! also the fact you have 94 at the end of your name likely to indicate the year you were born which would put you in 4th year although that is purely guesswork

I Challenge you to find any High School in Scotland that only offers 4 subjects. If you did go to such a school name it!

ScotsQual has it's only little troll! :p: Nah, I'm actually kidding, I think the OP mentioned something about using her sister's account... :erm:
Reply 9
tryingtolearn94
A's-A*s

You do realise that you can't get A* in Scotland? :eyeball:
Scotland? Doesn't even sound like a real country.
Reply 11
meloncoly
Scotland? Doesn't even sound like a real country.

Kent? Doesn't even sound like a real university.
Reply 12
0404343m

Win.
Reply 13
0404343m

+rep :yep:
0404343m

haha Quality Chat.
tryingtolearn94

I'm confused about all this 4 SGs, A* stuff too but I just thought I should mention that although it's unlikely your SGs will count against you, if you sat the 6 Highers over two years (some in S4, some in S5) that'll count as two sittings and probably will go against you. And as people have said, if a specific subject is required at SG/Int 2 it's likely you will need it. Although if you have the subject at a higher level I think that'll be fine.
Hello Laura!
I don't think it would go against, only matters if it's first sitting (ie no retakes) rather than 4 one year and 2 the next or whatever.

But I think OP is lying.

'Age and stage
The University recognises that schools may present pupils for SQA Highers or GCE A-levels one year earlier than normal. Providing no more than one Higher/A-level is taken, this would not normally be considered as a first sitting. However, if two Highers/A-levels are attempted early, the University may consider any assessed Highers/A-levels from fifth year or year 13 as a second sitting. This general rule may not apply if you are making application to the Medicine (MBChB) degree programme, where you will be expected to gain your entry requirements in one sitting. Please contact the appropriate admissions office: see Contacts for advice. The University does not normally consider applications based on three consecutive sittings of the appropriate qualification.'

From http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/entryrequirements/

Although looking at it, if they're taken over two sittings it just means higher grades are needed. But you're probably right, a lot of what the OP says doesn't make sense.
0404343m

Genius. :biggrin:
0404343m

Exaggerated praise for a non-comeback.
(You)
Mate, just face it. You got owned. :h:

"Mate", I wasn't mocking him, or Scotland, just the validity of the OP's story. So no, not owned.

Latest

Trending

Trending