The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE GCSEs with Achieved A-Levels

Hi,

LSE state they want several 8/9s and 7s on their website. I guess I do meet this with 877666555, but barely.

I'm applying this year with achieved grades and have got achieved A-Levels of A*A*A, do you think my A-Levels will somewhat nullify that GCSE requirement, or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

If it matters, this is for Maths.
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Hi,

LSE state they want several 8/9s and 7s on their website. I guess I do meet this with 877666555, but barely.

I'm applying this year with achieved grades and have got achieved A-Levels of A*A*A, do you think my A-Levels will somewhat nullify that GCSE requirement, or would I be better off looking elsewhere?

If it matters, this is for Maths.

What are your A-level subjects/grades?

Which maths course?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by ageshallnot
What are your A-level subjects/grades?

Which maths course?

I’m going for Financial Maths with Statistics. A*A*A is in Maths, Geog and Psych and I’m doing FM this year(hopefully A* predicted) in my gap year.
I’m going for Financial Maths with Statistics. A*A*A is in Maths, Geog and Psych and I’m doing FM this year(hopefully A* predicted) in my gap year.

Where a university states a GCSE requirement they mean it. Not having i is an automatic rejection irrespective of A level grades. LSE doesnt need to take students who dont meet a requirement. They will have more than enough applicants who will meet it and have A level grades as good as yours.

Taking FM is pretty much essential, so that's a plus. Is there any reason for your (by LSE's standards) relatively low GCSE grades compared to your A-levels?
Original post by swanseajack1
Where a university states a GCSE requirement they mean it. Not having i is an automatic rejection irrespective of A level grades. LSE doesnt need to take students who dont meet a requirement. They will have more than enough applicants who will meet it and have A level grades as good as yours.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I think the application ratio is 15:1 or something like that, so it does make sense I'd be unlikely to have much/any chance.
Taking FM is pretty much essential, so that's a plus. Is there any reason for your (by LSE's standards) relatively low GCSE grades compared to your A-levels?

Not really, unfortunately. Just lack of motivation through COVID, which is hardly a mitigating factor.
Not really, unfortunately. Just lack of motivation through COVID, which is hardly a mitigating factor.

Yes, "I couldn't be arsed with my GCSEs, but have thrown myself into my A-levels" perhaps isn't the best way to start your PS! 😆

Well, you can only get in if you apply. Treat it as one of your risky choices?
Yes, "I couldn't be arsed with my GCSEs, but have thrown myself into my A-levels" perhaps isn't the best way to start your PS! 😆

Well, you can only get in if you apply. Treat it as one of your risky choices?

Haha yep.

Cheers, I think I’ll give it a shot. Gonna grind out the TMUA and hope I can get a high score and that can carry me through I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending