The Student Room Group

Options after I get my AS grades

I've just finished my AS exams in biology, chemistry, maths and further maths and I'm hoping to apply to veterinary science. In january i got As in maths, B in biology and C in chemistry and I'm resitting the 2 science modules next january. I still want to apply to veterinary because I know I did better in my june exams than I did in january but I wanted to know what you think about the options I've given myself.

If I get A's in all subjects at AS I'll definitely apply to veterinary this year. If I get A's in say biology and maths and a high B in chemistry or high Bs in the sciences I'll still apply for veterinary but consider a gap year if I don't get in to improve my grades. If I get low B's or below apply to a different course instead.

Please tell me what you think.
Reply 1
If you have the drive and determination (and work experience) go for it! Because your resitting you've knocked Edinburgh and Glasgow out but there is 5 other fab vet schools to try your luck at.

Whats your work experience like? and Do you think you can hike your grades up in your A2 year?
Sarah.Watson.16
I've just finished my AS exams in biology, chemistry, maths and further maths and I'm hoping to apply to veterinary science. In january i got As in maths, B in biology and C in chemistry and I'm resitting the 2 science modules next january. I still want to apply to veterinary because I know I did better in my june exams than I did in january but I wanted to know what you think about the options I've given myself.

If I get A's in all subjects at AS I'll definitely apply to veterinary this year. If I get A's in say biology and maths and a high B in chemistry or high Bs in the sciences I'll still apply for veterinary but consider a gap year if I don't get in to improve my grades. If I get low B's or below apply to a different course instead.

Please tell me what you think.

i think work expirience is really important in vaterinary science...its very very important......i think AABB is quite good....and if u can be predicted AAAB u have nothing to worry.....there is a girl in my school...who got AABB and she was predicted the same and in the end she ended up with 2 offers..she has firmed....some vaterninary school in london(i dont remember the name)....its possible!!!she is also a interview from cambridge(i dont know how)!!
I thought Edinburgh and Glasgow didn't like resits out of the 2 years you do A-levels in? (I.e. you do another year after A-levels and resit some subjects within that year)
So, if you get A levels of AAB, you should be fine, (some unis may let you in with ABB).
However, if you get <ABB, then you'll need to resit some subjects after the 2 years of A levels - only then can you not apply to Edinburgh/Glasgow.
Reply 4
oh thats good to know karate_kat! didn't realise that AS resits were ok, thats a bit comforting :smile:
That was my understanding when I applied. I applied to Edinburgh, and resat one module in Chemistry during A2, and although I didn't get in, they said it was due to lack of work experience in some areas, and nothing to do with taking resits.
Thanks for the responses!

I have worked at riding for disabled since october 2008 on saturdays, ive done a week with an equine vet, two days in a vet practice and a day helping out at a sanctuary. I'm doing another week in a different practice soon and looking after my neighbours flock of sheep and a herd of cattle for a week.
In that I'd try to get at least a week or two in a kennels, at least another two week in a small animal/mixed practice, and a week of staple diary/ or lambing. :smile:
Reply 8
Sarah.Watson.16
Thanks for the responses!

I have worked at riding for disabled since october 2008 on saturdays, ive done a week with an equine vet, two days in a vet practice and a day helping out at a sanctuary. I'm doing another week in a different practice soon and looking after my neighbours flock of sheep and a herd of cattle for a week.

Realistically, as Jade said, you'll need a lot more work experience than that, sorry. Look at the stickied thread at the top.

But you really don't have to worry about AS retakes, I've done loads and got 2 offers.

Latest

Trending

Trending