The Student Room Group

To any doubters..... it can be done!!

Well I have just finished my second year at uni and have passed with a first!!! I am sooooo pleased, all that hard work has paid off. It was a really tough year too, so many assignments, so much revision, then straight into placement. I will certainly enjoy my 17 weeks off :biggrin:

If anyone is unsure of going to uni, especially as a mature student, then it can be done and go for it!!!! I wasted my school years, pissed about, just didn't try hard at all, could not be arsed basically. If you had told me years later I would be doing a science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics I would never have believed it.

But changing career has been one of the best decisions I have ever made and, although obviously it's very tough at times especially financially, I am very glad I made the move and was brave enough to do it.

Also good luck to anyone starting Access courses this September, I loved it and have never looked back!
Reply 1
Roodie
Well I have just finished my second year at uni and have passed with a first!!! I am sooooo pleased, all that hard work has paid off. It was a really tough year too, so many assignments, so much revision, then straight into placement. I will certainly enjoy my 17 weeks off :biggrin:

If anyone is unsure of going to uni, especially as a mature student, then it can be done and go for it!!!! I wasted my school years, pissed about, just didn't try hard at all, could not be arsed basically. If you had told me years later I would be doing a science degree in Nutrition and Dietetics I would never have believed it.

But changing career has been one of the best decisions I have ever made and, although obviously it's very tough at times especially financially, I am very glad I made the move and was brave enough to do it.

Also good luck to anyone starting Access courses this September, I loved it and have never looked back!

Way to go matey - congrats... and I agree - people look at the financial cost and it does make your eyes bulge somewhat..

(i don't finish until Dec 2011 myself..)

But good luck!!!

:woo:
Reply 2
Roodie

how old are you , if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 3
Old..... getting older.....
I'm 37 this year, so was 34 when I started my access course, but I had been looking into a career change for a while before then and had started a Human Biol AS at night school. It probably took two/three years of planning to get onto the access course, this did included having a baby along the way.
Back then it seemed so very daunting to be out of full-time work for a possible five years and I couldn't have imagined it. But I would have regretted it for the rest of my life if I hadn't done it.
Reply 4
Roodie

Yep :-) Ive just passed the first year of my law degree, got 67% :-), Ive learnt that anything is possible if you try hard enough.
Lawstude
Yep :-) Ive just passed the first year of my law degree, got 67% :-), Ive learnt that anything is possible if you try hard enough.

Congrats :smile:

Very true - age is irrelevant to success, too. I graduated uni at 27 back in '08 with a 2:1 and am now at a MA, something I've wanted to do for ages.
Reply 6
I lost my job and couldn't find another, so I decided to go to uni aged 54. After a science foundation year, I started a degree in Natural Sciences (mostly maths). Just got my first year results and I have a 71% average.
If I can do it in my dotage, anyone can. Go for it.
Congrats mate, this is just the type of post I wanted to read :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending