The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone had an interview at
Wolverhampton
Northampton
Nottingham Trent
DMU
for primary ed/education studies and what where they like?
any tips?
Reply 81
Havent been interviewed at those places but have done 3 interviews (n got 3 places!) for primary ed so if you have any questions i'll be happy to answer
xx
star18
Havent been interviewed at those places but have done 3 interviews (n got 3 places!) for primary ed so if you have any questions i'll be happy to answer
xx

yes any tips would be helpful please :biggrin:
where did you apply?
Reply 83
Hi i applied to Gloucestershire, canterbury christ, winchester, st marys, northampton and brighton (I think.!) and went to interviews at first three places.

General tips I can think of are be really enthusiastic and smily as they love that. I had to do a presentation for gloucestershire but it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be so don't panic if you have to do one of them - give me a shout if you do! In a group interview situation make sure you contribute but don't be too pushy i.e. they'll be looking for people who can listen well to others - that's probably common sense though! Also if they ask you about hobbies etc try to link them to teaching - for example by saying you would be interested in holding an after school club on.. 'dancing/cooking' whatever your interest as I said that and they seemed to like that lol.

Do you have any maths/english tests? If you do the maths tended to be key stage 3 standard so have a look through any key stage 3 revision guides/text books if maths isn't your strong point as it may help to reassure you.

Can't think of anything else general atm hope that made sense. If you've got any other questions then feel free 2 ask. Good luck with interviews :smile:
Reply 84
When do these tests take place? when you apply for a place at uni?
Reply 85
there are tests that take place during interviews. The QTS Skills tests can be done at any time during your degree.
Im thinking of applying for 2008 entry on a primary undergrad course, yet i have no previous work experience, so im hoping to arrange something soon to help, is that ok or is it too late?
Also, what kind of stuff does the maths test ask? Its not my strong point so general help on that area would be great!
at interviews for PGCEs do you have to take aptitude tests in english, maths and IT? do u have to take aptitude tests b4 being awarded a placement?
bump
Reply 89
hermaphrodite
at interviews for PGCEs do you have to take aptitude tests in english, maths and IT? do u have to take aptitude tests b4 being awarded a placement?

Some take tests, yes. Mainly in English and Maths at interviews. Before you can actually be awarded QTS, you will have to pass QTS Skills tests in Maths, English and ICT.
Hope this helps.
yourjoyismylow
Some take tests, yes. Mainly in English and Maths at interviews. Before you can actually be awarded QTS, you will have to pass QTS Skills tests in Maths, English and ICT.
Hope this helps.

as long as the ICT test isnt at the interview.
Reply 91
I have never heard of that before. I assume they believe that the most important skills for the course are Maths and English, as well as some Science, but you will need to have the GCSE grade for that anyway.
any recommended reading books to prepare me fr the interview and also for writing the personal statement
Reply 93
I'd recommend reading the TES (times educational supplement) as it will give information on recent relevant educational topics which they may ask you about.
Reply 94
TES, the TES forum, also the Education Guardian are interesting to read and important to read in order to keep up with current educational topics. I think BBC Education is good as well.
There is the QTS Books series. I read the one about primary teaching.
Reply 95
Ive recently bought myself a copy of the National Curriculum Handbook for Primary schools and have found that really useful, as it enables me to re-read things easily without needing to go online.

Also, Learning To Teach in the Primary School edited by Arthur, Grainger and Wray is a really useful read, as well as, The Trainee Teachers Survival Guide byb Hazel Bennett. Which is full of hints and ideas! :biggrin:
Reply 96
Hey,I've applied for primary teaching at Liverpool hope,Aberdeen,Roehampton,Leeds trinity and Uni of cumbria Lancaster campus.
I've got an interview for Liverpool hope and was wondering if anyone had any experience of interviews at this particular uni?
Also,for the interview I have to bring a book and read it as though reading to a class,and also prepare a short essay answer for the question "Exactly what sort of teacher do you aspire to become? " again,any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
fiona
x
Reply 97
A few ideas for the story: Choose a book which is large enough to be able to hold so the children can see the pictures, shows you are trying to engage the children with the story. Also if you have any props to use it always show you have put effort into it so you could have a think about that. And the obvious, speak clearly and loudly and use your voice expressively.

If you need help with the essay give me a shout and i'll try and give you a few ideas.
Reply 98
Star18
Thank you :smile: I think the props ideas great! once i've chosen the story i'll have a look and see if there's any props I can use.
Also,for the story would asking questions and talking about the picture a little bit show interaction and aiming to keep attention rather than just a straightforward reading the words on the page?
thanks once again
Reply 99
Yeh I think asking questions like you suggested would definitely be good for the reasons you gave, good luck with it!

Latest

Trending

Trending