The Student Room Group

The start of my timeline!

First off, sorry for creating my own thread - I know if everyone started their own thread it would be an absolute nightmare, but people are so helpful and knowledgeable on the whole Uni in America thing!

So, as a background - I've just finished my first year at sixth form - I decided to take Business Studies and Economics A-levels (enjoy both and would be aiming for a good B and hopefully an A somewhere in those two as overall A2 grades) As well as this I take the Advanced Diploma in IT as IT is really the kind of thing I want to go into, it's a hard subject, and I've been told it has a UCAS equivalent of around 3 and a half A-levels - and it takes up two of my four slots at Sixth form for subjects as a result - I'm predicted and fully hope to get an A grade in IT.

I think I'll want to do some kind of course that involves both Business Studies and Computing/IT, although at the moment, course is the least of my worries...

Just some questions

1. Will I get an opportunity to explain myself on an application to an American University form that I do a new Diploma subject that isn't an A-level, so I don't look like I'm just doing 3 A-levels?

2. Where the HELL should I start looking for Universities, I mean I put in Business/Computing and it gives me bloody unlimited lists of these uni's I've never heard of? I really don't know where to start ...

3. I have been looking into the SAT things - I read on another website (fullbright something) that taking the Autumn SATs (which I have 60 days to still register for) would be fine for me to therefore go to go to an American Uni a year and a bit from now, yet I read on this website I have left it to late at the end of year 12? I am more than happy to take a gap year giving me a chance to re-take the SATs if I need to and then work full time during that year to save some cash for the slightly higher costs of American uni.

4. Is there a process similar to UCAS in America, for example I've already registered up on the whole UCAS thing within lessons at College and have made starts on that..

There is an exhibition in London in September organised by these fullbright people so I am going to go along and see what they have to say I think.
First of all, the end of year 12 is a bit lat but defnitely do-able. I decided to apply to the US at the end of august after year 12 and I managed (though nearly died in the process and skipped school a few times to study for the SAT and subject tests) You still have the summer to study so you should be fine and still avoid a brain haemorrage.

Edit: be careful with SAT times though. It varies widely whether unis accept the January test date so if you are also taking subject tests you will need two test dates (say October and November) and then you can still retake in December. Check with you colleges before making a plan whic includes a January test.

There is no universal system like UCAS but there is a semi-universal system called the Common Application. Most unis are on it but not all. Also, many ask for a separament uni-specific supplement. Another thing to consider is the applcation fee, about $75 per college, unless you qualify for a waiver.

There are many websites that have lists/rankings of US unis but there really is no easy way to go about choosing unis. If you have a specific area in mind that makes it a bit easier but otherwise just look at a ranking, try to see approximately what level of unis are you interested in (1-20, 200-300, etc) and read about them on their websites to see if you might be interested.
Then draw up a list of about 15-25 unis you might like and read about them in detail. Choose the ones you would like to apply to (not more than 10 otherwise writing all the essays will be difficult) Make sure you include safeties in case the others don't take you.

I tried to cover the basics but feel free to ask if you have other questions.

PS: collegeconfidential.com is the US equivalent of TSR so you might want to check it out. It has loads of useful info (though don't take everyone on there seriously)
TomGold
First off, sorry for creating my own thread - I know if everyone started their own thread it would be an absolute nightmare, but people are so helpful and knowledgeable on the whole Uni in America thing!

So, as a background - I've just finished my first year at sixth form - I decided to take Business Studies and Economics A-levels (enjoy both and would be aiming for a good B and hopefully an A somewhere in those two as overall A2 grades) As well as this I take the Advanced Diploma in IT as IT is really the kind of thing I want to go into, it's a hard subject, and I've been told it has a UCAS equivalent of around 3 and a half A-levels - and it takes up two of my four slots at Sixth form for subjects as a result - I'm predicted and fully hope to get an A grade in IT.

I think I'll want to do some kind of course that involves both Business Studies and Computing/IT, although at the moment, course is the least of my worries...

Just some questions

1. Will I get an opportunity to explain myself on an application to an American University form that I do a new Diploma subject that isn't an A-level, so I don't look like I'm just doing 3 A-levels?

2. Where the HELL should I start looking for Universities, I mean I put in Business/Computing and it gives me bloody unlimited lists of these uni's I've never heard of? I really don't know where to start ...

3. I have been looking into the SAT things - I read on another website (fullbright something) that taking the Autumn SATs (which I have 60 days to still register for) would be fine for me to therefore go to go to an American Uni a year and a bit from now, yet I read on this website I have left it to late at the end of year 12? I am more than happy to take a gap year giving me a chance to re-take the SATs if I need to and then work full time during that year to save some cash for the slightly higher costs of American uni.

4. Is there a process similar to UCAS in America, for example I've already registered up on the whole UCAS thing within lessons at College and have made starts on that..

There is an exhibition in London in September organised by these fullbright people so I am going to go along and see what they have to say I think.

1. There is a part of the Common Application entitled 'Additional Information' in which you would include a description of your course. You could also ask your school to include a brief explanation in your transcript.
2. There are over 4,500 universities in the US so narrowing down is hard. Try filtering by such factors as location/weather, State or private etc. One way is to start with the unis you have heard of or look at forums such as this to see where others are applying.
3. I took a gap year to do my applications and I was glad I did as I had the time to devote myself to the process. That said, if you sit your SATs just after summer you should be eligable to apply for fall 2011, provided you can complete the rest of the application in time.
4. Many US unis use the Common Application. (This can also be a way of narrowing down your options.

The fulbright commision are a good resource. They have application seminars, financial seminars and there is also a College Day to which many US unis send representatives and it is definately worth a visit.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help/advice. As a veteran of the process, I'm happy to help.

Good Luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending