The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know a few white people who work in chinese restaurants. A lot of the chineses are family members/close friends though, from what I can gather.
Oh and also my indian friend, 3 of her siblings and about 10 of her cousins all work in her dads indian takeaway. So they don't really need other people.
Reply 62
Now you mention it, its true.

Last time I went to an Asian restaurant it was full of Asia workers.

I will ask next time I go, for a job.

See what they say. :biggrin:
Reply 63
Umbrella.Girl
Every time I go into an Asian restaurant, I've noticed that all of it's workers are of Asian decent. I was wondering how they manage to get away with this because I was always under the impression that it was illegal to employ somebody on the grounds of race (unless it's in acting or something). :lolwut:

:confused:

That's funny, because everytime i walk into pubs, cafes and fish/chips bars i always see white British people working. Can you explain that to me? Cheers!
Reply 64
When i go to an Authentic restaurant i expect it to be Authentic not riddled with different races.
ajtiesto
That's funny, because everytime i walk into pubs, cafes and fish/chips bars i always see white British people working. Can you explain that to me? Cheers!

All the Asians are already working in Asian restaurants :p:
Reply 66
Since when did British people start describing oriental people as Asian? That's always meant Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi to me.
Umbrella.Girl
Yes it is an assumption, but I wouldn't call it 'shameless'.
I go to many Asian restaurants and most of the one's I have been to ONLY have Asian staff members.
I am of Asian decent myself and I know for a fact that if I were to apply to a Filipino restaurant in my area I would get the job on the basis of my cultural heritage and ethnicity.

My original question was about what loopholes these restaurants could have used in order to employ staff of a particular race.

People have explained to you why it is that asian restaurants have largely asian staff (because of hiring relatives, the people who apply and cooking skills and food knowledge)- and people have given examples of being hired at asian restaurants when not asian- yet you just dismiss all that and say 'well I bet they discriminate anyway'. Do you not see how that's quite obtuse, when there are so many other explainations?
How many indians do you see serving at the chippy then..or the pub?
missygeorgia
People have explained to you why it is that asian restaurants have largely asian staff (because of hiring relatives, the people who apply and cooking skills and food knowledge)- and people have given examples of being hired at asian restaurants when not asian- yet you just dismiss all that and say 'well I bet they discriminate anyway'. Do you not see how that's quite obtuse, when there are so many other explainations?

I am completely aware of what you just said, in fact I did go on to mention on the first page that I now had the answer to my question; I wanted to know what the specific loopholes in the human rights were and somebody kindly answered that for me.
I am also aware of non-Asians working in Asian restaurants, but that wasn't what I was asking about!

Oh, and I can assure you that not once did I say 'well I bet they discriminate anyway'. I wasn't inferring in any way that I felt it was discriminative for certain restaurants to only recruit people from their own race, I was only curious to how they managed to get away with what they were doing! If anything, I have absolutely no objection to non-Asians working in, say, a Chinese restaurant, I believe that cultures should mix and not to isolate themselves from other cultures!

I can't understand why people on this thread are accusing me of things I certainly am not, my question was clearly one out of curiosity not to cause a stir with the viciously politically correct.
practicality. You try writing down a chinese families order in chinese - oh yea and talking to them in chinese too
Reply 71
K the Failure
Hard to find Westerners that can speak any sort of Chinese and cook Chinese food.

Exactly. Typed the words right out of my mouth...ish. lool
They are mainly of Asian decent because they probably already know something about cooking the type of food they serve, my guess is they dont want to bring in someone who needs training. But i've seen white people serving in an Asian restaurant before, so maybe there is hope yet. :smile:
Psyk
I knew about the exception for "ethnic" restaurants. But I wonder if you could apply the same reasoning to not hire non-whites. Say I opened a medieval themed restaurant that had waiters dressed in period costume. Would I be allowed to refuse to hire non-whites? After all, I doubt there were many non-whites in medieval England, so it wouldn't really be very authentic to have a black waiter.

You would be hauled before the authorities I imagine.

The law is so equal. :smile:
Hooj
When i go to an Authentic restaurant i expect it to be Authentic not riddled with different races.

So long as you get authentic food and the atmosphere is culturally-similar to the origin of the food, what does it matter if a white person serves your food - so long as they do it politely and efficiently?
Umbrella.Girl
Every time I go into an Asian restaurant, I've noticed that all of it's workers are of Asian decent. I was wondering how they manage to get away with this because I was always under the impression that it was illegal to employ somebody on the grounds of race (unless it's in acting or something). :lolwut:

Surely all the manager has to say is, "I don't like the person", to not hire them, and it's hardly racism, because seriously, who can stop you from not liking someone?
Reply 75
I'm white and work in a Japanese restaurant (as the delivery driver) :biggrin: I love it!
Umbrella.Girl
I am completely aware of what you just said, in fact I did go on to mention on the first page that I now had the answer to my question; I wanted to know what the specific loopholes in the human rights were and somebody kindly answered that for me.
I am also aware of non-Asians working in Asian restaurants, but that wasn't what I was asking about!

Oh, and I can assure you that not once did I say 'well I bet they discriminate anyway'. I wasn't inferring in any way that I felt it was discriminative for certain restaurants to only recruit people from their own race, I was only curious to how they managed to get away with what they were doing! If anything, I have absolutely no objection to non-Asians working in, say, a Chinese restaurant, I believe that cultures should mix and not to isolate themselves from other cultures!

I can't understand why people on this thread are accusing me of things I certainly am not, my question was clearly one out of curiosity not to cause a stir with the viciously politically correct.

I'm not bothered that you're asking about the loopholes etc- I'm referring specifically to this comment

And i'm pretty sure that if a non-Asian applied to work in an Asian restaurant even *if* they could speak the foreign language fluently and could cook up a mean curry/stir fry or whatever, they wouldn't get the job over the other Asian's that applied.

that assumption is what I had a problem with, not your insatiable curiosity about loopholes that asian restaurants go through.
Reply 77
insanetothebrain
How many indians do you see serving at the chippy then..or the pub?

Most of the chippies I know are run by asians. Don't know how many of them are indian, but they're not all east asians.
Reply 78
i wouldn't eat at a restaurant that employed baka gaijin white people that is 不名誉
Umbrella.Girl

simple all these discrimination laws are a load of crap that are easily circumvented around.

Your a racist sexist ageist homophobic boss so you only want white straight young men working for you. How do you achieve this - easy.

two candidates chris and christine

chris - white, 25 years old, straight english
christine - black 55 years old lesbian american.

Both will sit the same interview. However the outcome is predecided and it takes is a little bit of paperwork in the interview to point out that christine did not have the required job requisites and wham bam thank you mam chris has a job an christine does not.

on paper its because christine does not fit the role through the answers she gave in the interview and chris walked the interview. In reality chris got the job because hes white - but you wont be able to prove it

Latest

Trending

Trending