The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary 2011 Applicant's Thread

Hiya!

So I've been lurking for a while and I haven't seen a 2011 applicant's thread for QMUL and I've totally fallen in love with it and I was wondering if there are any other potential applicants out there. :biggrin:

EDIT: I'll update as much as possible!

adam0311 -- Law

YdLeet -- Physics

Alexandra289 -- English

Asadsrc -- Aerospace engineering

Continental -- Psychology

i_♥_pie -- Computer Science

VickyG166 -- Law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Count me in!

I will be applying as an international student (American).
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
I'll be applying for Physics. :biggrin:
I'll be applying for English (or English Literature and Linguistics).
Reply 4
Added. :smile:

Has anyone visited QMUL?
snowshine
Added. :smile:

Has anyone visited QMUL?

I went on a campus tour a couple of weeks ago. It didn't look it's best becuase there was lots of building work but I liked it.
Reply 6
Alexandra289
I went on a campus tour a couple of weeks ago. It didn't look it's best becuase there was lots of building work but I liked it.

It should be finished before you start. The main building work at the moment is the new History/Humanities department which is meant to be finished by Spring 2011 and some work down by the student union. Also the library which will be finished by September.
Reply 7
Alexandra289

I've only seen pictures, but I really like it. :smile:

The new library looks like it'll be amazing.
ajp100688
It should be finished before you start. The main building work at the moment is the new History/Humanities department which is meant to be finished by Spring 2011 and some work down by the student union. Also the library which will be finished by September.

Aah that should be good. Out of interest do you know where English is mainly taught because I wasn't told that on the tour?
Reply 9
Alexandra289
Aah that should be good. Out of interest do you know where English is mainly taught because I wasn't told that on the tour?

The Arts building as far as I'm aware, which is like the three floored building just off to the left of the East Gate.
ajp100688
The Arts building as far as I'm aware, which is like the three floored building just off to the left of the East Gate.

Thank you :smile:
Alexandra289

Whilst the majority of staff have their offices in the Arts building, teaching is not limited to there. Usually seminars will be held in the Arts building or in Francis Bancroft (the building opposite the library with 'Bar Med' in the corner) but can occasionally be held elsewhere.

The Arts building, however, does not have a large lecture theatre so in the first year, and in more popular 2nd and 3rd year modules, lectures are held throughout the university. Usually the Skeel Lecture Theatre, Physics Lecture Theatre or Drapers Lecture Theatre.
Mr. Mortell
Whilst the majority of staff have their offices in the Arts building, teaching is not limited to there. Usually seminars will be held in the Arts building or in Francis Bancroft (the building opposite the library with 'Bar Med' in the corner) but can occasionally be held elsewhere.

The Arts building, however, does not have a large lecture theatre so in the first year, and in more popular 2nd and 3rd year modules, lectures are held throughout the university. Usually the Skeel Lecture Theatre, Physics Lecture Theatre or Drapers Lecture Theatre.

Thank you, you're really helpful :biggrin:
Reply 13
Aerospace engineering for 2010-11 year....
Psychology xD
Hopefully Computer Science!!
Reply 16
Woops, forgot to say I was applying for Law
Reply 17
adam0311
Woops, forgot to say I was applying for Law

Updated. :smile:

I'm thinking of applying for law as well!

What attracted you to QMUL? And what's your first choice?
Reply 18
snowshine
Updated. :smile:

I'm thinking of applying for law as well!

What attracted you to QMUL? And what's your first choice?

Law FTW!

Well to be honest with you, when I first looked at UK unis, I was a little ignorant (no american jokes please :smile: ). I only looked into London for uni. Then I went through which had the best law programs. Which leaves you with UCL, LSE, KCL, and QMUL. SOAS if you want to add that in there, but I've always viewed this as a bit more specialized. Ultimately I would like a school with a decent rep both stateside and over the pond. Kingston, middlesex, etc. is really unknown stateside. It's not necessarily the rep, it's just the fact that no one knows about it in the US. I decided of the London schools, I was really attracted to UCL, LSE, and QMUL.

Once I sat down and really considered my choices I decided to look outside of London. Scotland was eliminated because I don't want to do scots law and a 2 year conversion course just to practice english law. So I looked into Bristol, York, Durham, Warwick, etc. Bristol rose to the top for me. So I was trying to pick a fifth. I liked York, but didn't like that the law program is so fresh. I landed on Durham. So I'm applying for law to LSE, UCL, QMUL, Durham, and Bristol. LSE is my number one. UCL is probably my number two. Everything else is even.
Reply 19
adam0311
Law FTW!

Well to be honest with you, when I first looked at UK unis, I was a little ignorant (no american jokes please :smile: ). I only looked into London for uni. Then I went through which had the best law programs. Which leaves you with UCL, LSE, KCL, and QMUL. SOAS if you want to add that in there, but I've always viewed this as a bit more specialized. Ultimately I would like a school with a decent rep both stateside and over the pond. Kingston, middlesex, etc. is really unknown stateside. It's not necessarily the rep, it's just the fact that no one knows about it in the US. I decided of the London schools, I was really attracted to UCL, LSE, and QMUL.

Once I sat down and really considered my choices I decided to look outside of London. Scotland was eliminated because I don't want to do scots law and a 2 year conversion course just to practice english law. So I looked into Bristol, York, Durham, Warwick, etc. Bristol rose to the top for me. So I was trying to pick a fifth. I liked York, but didn't like that the law program is so fresh. I landed on Durham. So I'm applying for law to LSE, UCL, QMUL, Durham, and Bristol. LSE is my number one. UCL is probably my number two. Everything else is even.

Awesome! :smile:

Haha, I was the same way about English Unis, tbh.

Good luck. :top:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending