The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bromaldehyde
Schools are crafty. They'll form a "real" prelim should you need an appeal, but you won't.

I thought that I wouldn't either but midway through my biology exam I realised that I might have just sat there and done nothing. I have at most got a B and I need an A. I really do :frown:.

So can school fake a prelim...? Well not really fake it but be selective and take out certain parts.
Original post by xoJennyox

So can school fake a prelim...? Well not really fake it but be selective and take out certain parts.

Yup, that's what they do.
Yup, that's what they do.

Tehe....have you ever had any personal experience of this :tongue:?
And why is it so difficult to get an appeal for science?
I got a B in my English prelim what if I fail the exam and get an appeal would my grade boost up to a B or C?
Reply 785
Original post by lovecupcakes
I got a B in my English prelim what if I fail the exam and get an appeal would my grade boost up to a B or C?

I don't know for sure but I think it would be a C.
Original post by lovecupcakes

If your appeal were to be successful (obviously not guaranteed), it would probably only go up to a C. Best to think about this when your results come in though :smile:
Original post by Ecosse_14
:smile:

Hola, long time no chat! :smile: As I procrastinate from studying, a thought occurred! :biggrin: I think I've already read that this isn't possible; but, next year for the remarking of exam scripts, could students who took their exams before the remark is implemented get a remark?

Hope you're doing well by the way and are coping with the exams! :biggrin:
Original post by Quick-use
Hola, long time no chat! :smile: As I procrastinate from studying, a thought occurred! :biggrin: I think I've already read that this isn't possible; but, next year for the remarking of exam scripts, could students who took their exams before the remark is implemented get a remark?

Hope you're doing well by the way and are coping with the exams! :biggrin:

Hey man, procrastination is the way forward! :cool: Or that's what I keep telling myself...

I'm not sure what you're asking though? Do you mean can someone who sat their exam this year, then get a remark in August. Or do you mean can someone who sat their exam this year, get a remark next year? Or do you mean something completely different?

I haven't properly read up on the changes to the appeal system yet so may not have a clue :tongue:
Hey man, procrastination is the way forward! :cool: Or that's what I keep telling myself...

I'm not sure what you're asking though? Do you mean can someone who sat their exam this year, then get a remark in August. Or do you mean can someone who sat their exam this year, get a remark next year? Or do you mean something completely different?

I haven't properly read up on the changes to the appeal system yet so may not have a clue :tongue:

Hahaha, I only wish I had that positive view of procrastination :cool:

I meant, seeing as I've finished high school, could I, next year, get remarks for exams I sat last year, the year before and the year before that (when I was in high school :smile:)?

You should totally apply for your dream job at SQA :wink: Did you ever do a Higher in a language? You could be that infamous guy in the listening papers with that strong Glaswegian accent! :biggrin:

I meant, seeing as I've finished high school, could I, next year, get remarks for exams I sat last year, the year before and the year before that (when I was in high school :smile:)?

You should totally apply for your dream job at SQA :wink: Did you ever do a Higher in a language? You could be that infamous guy in the listening papers with that strong Glaswegian accent! :biggrin:

Ah, okay. I highly doubt they'd do that and they'd only do it for papers sat that year.

I don't have a dream job at SQA :hand: :tongue: Never did any Higher languages. French was the only SG that I didn't take to Higher :tongue:
Ah, okay. I highly doubt they'd do that and they'd only do it for papers sat that year.

I don't have a dream job at SQA :hand: :tongue: Never did any Higher languages. French was the only SG that I didn't take to Higher :tongue:

I'll reply to this when I'm procrastinating once more! :tongue:
I'll reply to this when I'm procrastinating once more! :tongue:

Stop procrastinating and do work! :tongue:
Stop procrastinating and do work! :tongue:

Says you. :tongue:

:eek: The badass Glaswegian mannie on the listening tapes. Yes, I can attest to the fact that he is certainly one of a kind. I always have to stifle my laughter, as it is just too much for me. :tongue:
Says you. :tongue:

I know :sad:

I don't have a dream job at SQA :hand:

Are you sure about that? :smile:
Original post by mysqa
Are you sure about that? :smile:

Which part?

Very sure my dream job isn't at the SQA :yes: Saying that, with how hard it is getting a job these days I can't be fussy :tongue:
Which part?

Very sure my dream job isn't at the SQA :yes: Saying that, with how hard it is getting a job these days I can't be fussy :tongue:

Natrually, we only take the best of the best. Think you can handle it? :wink:
Reply 799
Original post by xoJennyox
When you send an appeal the SQA say that:

The evidence that your school/college sends to us with your appeal needs to demonstrate that you previously managed to achieve a better grade (eg in your prelim or mock exam) than you did in the real exam. The evidence must give our examiners a detailed picture how you performed during the Course.
The prelim or mock exam that they submit for you should look just like a real exam for that subject. This means the evidence has to be at the same level of difficulty as real exams, be in the same format, have the same range of questions, be the same length, and should be produced under exam conditions.
Along with this evidence, your school/college also has to send us:

the marking instructions they used to mark your evidence/prelim

the cut-off scores they used in your evidence/prelim (ie what was the percentage of correct answers needed to get an A, B, C etc)

the sources of the questions they used in the prelim (ie where they got questions from)

I DID TERRIBLE IN THE BIOLOGY EXAM TODAY. I am not even kidding, I missed out a ton of questions and guessed about 10 of them because I ran out of time and just didn't know what to do. And I got so stressed during the exam due to time constraints that I just couldn't work. My lip even has a bruise from biting it during the exam...:frown:. I have never ever done so badly in an exam and I was thinking that biology would be my easiest exam. I have done MS and History and they were way easier compared to this. And I need to get an A in all my subjects. I just want now and it is getting me down.

Anyway my question is when the SQA says that your evidence must resemble a real exam paper, what if your school did biology units 1 &2 as a separate prelim from unit 3?

For example I sat the prelim for unit 1 & 2 in January and in April we all sat the unit 3 prelim. I got 80% and 83% in each of them. Will the SQA accept this or not? I am just so worried because I think that I have B after today...

Hi I was wondering. For example if you got a conditional offer for university and you need a c in maths. However you think you did bad in the final exam but got an A for the preliminary. Would the college be able to appeal for you to least get a c and would you be able to go university this year or will it be to late. Do universities accept appeal offers or do they find out what you get on the day of your results and if you don't meet the conditions do they cut tour name of straight away with no chances of appeal. I will be grateful if anyone answers this.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending