The Student Room Group

Which University is best for Stage Management?

Although Im only just starting my A Levels in September Ive been looking at which Uni's do Stage Management for the past few months. There is so many I dont know how to define which ones are better than the others. Im pretty sure that I want to go to London as I feel I can get better experience there - as it is close to the West End.

If anyone has any information or any tips whatsoever please post a reply cos anything will help

Cheers :smile:

Charlotte
Reply 1
go and work in a theatre! it sounds much more exciting
Reply 2
Burrface
go and work in a theatre! it sounds much more exciting

http://www.artshub.co.uk/uk/
Reply 3
charlotte040694
Although Im only just starting my A Levels in September Ive been looking at which Uni's do Stage Management for the past few months. There is so many I dont know how to define which ones are better than the others. Im pretty sure that I want to go to London as I feel I can get better experience there - as it is close to the West End.

If anyone has any information or any tips whatsoever please post a reply cos anything will help

Cheers :smile:

Charlotte

When I was applying for Stage Management courses, I spoke to three professional stage managers, all of whom said LAMDA and Bristol Old Vic. None of them went to LAMDA, two of them went to Bristol. Central also has a good reputation, but places like Mountview and RADA (believe it or not) don't have great reputations for SM courses. As a result, I only applied to LAMDA and Bristol.

Don't be afraid of applying to courses that are called 'Stage Management and Technical Theatre'. I'm a total Stage Manager rather than a techie, but having completed the first year of my course, there is NO WAY I would recommend anyone going into this profession without studying technical theatre too. The industry is so close that you can't possibly be a successful manager without having a basic understanding of all the areas.

Decide whether you want a 2 year or a 3 year course. There is really no benefit from the extra year unless you just want a BA - by the end of your second year you will be totally gagging to get out and get into the profession.

Any questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 4

Did you not consider that maybe people train in order to get successful jobs in theatres? You also work in theatres for 80% of stage management courses.
Reply 5
Melana
Did you not consider that maybe people train in order to get successful jobs in theatres? You also work in theatres for 80% of stage management courses.

i was just stating an opinion and somewhere you could look for a job
PerigeeApogee
A degree in Stage Management? Are you joking?

That is absolutely pathetic. Either do a real degree or don't go to university at all.

Its more of a degree or dimploma than many other courses. With training in SM and techie theatre you gain many skills most professions look for and can practically put them to use, not just write about them :wink:

As Melana has said, have a look and Bristol Vic and LAMDA, i'm personally on a gap year and looking at GSA. But GSA (and mountview) have insane course fees from the looks of it, compared to LAMDA and Bristol's course fees that equal that of most other course fees at uni. :smile:
Burrface
i was just stating an opinion and somewhere you could look for a job

Completely get where your coming from, but having tried to get work (or even work exp) in theatres you generally get ignored unless you have training or contacts :frown: Even getting FOH work can be pot luck and is unlikely to get you into backstage work.
Melana
When I was applying for Stage Management courses, I spoke to three professional stage managers, all of whom said LAMDA and Bristol Old Vic. None of them went to LAMDA, two of them went to Bristol. Central also has a good reputation, but places like Mountview and RADA (believe it or not) don't have great reputations for SM courses. As a result, I only applied to LAMDA and Bristol.

Don't be afraid of applying to courses that are called 'Stage Management and Technical Theatre'. I'm a total Stage Manager rather than a techie, but having completed the first year of my course, there is NO WAY I would recommend anyone going into this profession without studying technical theatre too. The industry is so close that you can't possibly be a successful manager without having a basic understanding of all the areas.

Decide whether you want a 2 year or a 3 year course. There is really no benefit from the extra year unless you just want a BA - by the end of your second year you will be totally gagging to get out and get into the profession.

Thanks for your help! You've really helped :biggrin:

Would you say that it is better to go to a Drama school in London because it is close to the main theatres in the country or dya think that going to a place (just as an example say Birmingham Uni) would give you that same opportunities even though it is not near the West End?

:smile: x
Reply 9
Melana

I was thinking of applying to LAMDA for this course, but I don't really know if they'll accept or even consider me. I have some experience in stage management from school and local productions, but my A-levels were English Lit, Spanish and Politics (and GS). I got all A's but I don't know whether they would only want people with a Theatre Studies A-level or similar.

D'you think I've got a chance?
Hey Charlotte..

I'm currently looking where to apply for Stage Management courses and I have to say the best looking ones at the moment are LAMDA and RADA. Most people I've talked to say that it is better to go down the whole stage school route rather than university because they can offer you more experience and have established links in the industry.

Personally I'd recommend trying to get as much experience as you can all this year so you have plenty to put in your portfolio when you do apply. Similarly Circe most stage schools don't ask for specific subjects but experience in the area is essential... as long as you can prove that you're committed to stage management and you have some varied experience you should have a good a chance as anyone. (By the way... well done for all As!!)
xxx
Sorry to jump in on this, but any ideas on where to be looking for experience? As i've only managed to get 2 local amature productions lined up. If SM is deffinantly what i still want to be doing theres no way (i presume) i'll even be considered unless i have a fair bit of experience :frown: Unfortunately the theatres around here don't have casual stage crews either.
EclipseHorse
Sorry to jump in on this, but any ideas on where to be looking for experience? As i've only managed to get 2 local amature productions lined up. If SM is deffinantly what i still want to be doing theres no way (i presume) i'll even be considered unless i have a fair bit of experience :frown: Unfortunately the theatres around here don't have casual stage crews either.

Hey :smile:

All I can suggest at the moment is auditioning for the National Youth Theatre.
I know that the actual courses arent until summer 2012 but if you get in that is really good experience and a great thing to put on your CV. Im gonna audition this year and they dont always go for experience, I've heard they also put people through if they show that they are committed and passionate and just in need for some experience...... :biggrin: x
Reply 13
Circe
I was thinking of applying to LAMDA for this course, but I don't really know if they'll accept or even consider me. I have some experience in stage management from school and local productions, but my A-levels were English Lit, Spanish and Politics (and GS). I got all A's but I don't know whether they would only want people with a Theatre Studies A-level or similar.

D'you think I've got a chance?

They don't give a flying badger about academic qualifications so not a problem at all. They want professional, enthusiastic, passionate, committed people. Imagine what you'd want your stage manager to be like, and that's what they care about.

Experience-wise, write/phone/email theatres asking if you could spend a week/a day shadowing stage management or technical staff - you learn so much in such a short space of time. Go and see flashy shows so you can talk about aspects you liked/disliked of the production side. They don't expect you to be experts, they just want you to have experienced enough of it to know what you're talking about, and to know you're not going to hate it within a week.

Latest