The Student Room Group

Last years physics places

Hi all, I know the lists are removed once they're done with, but I was just wondering what the best unis in clearing were last year, and what kinds of grades they accepted. I applied to top unis and missed out on my insurance a bit with my lowest offer being AAB, I'm semi-confident in getting it but I'm not so sure so I'm preparing for clearing.

I've been looking at Glasgow and Edinburgh as they have slightly lower offers normally, but was wondering what the chances of places like Kings College, Bath etc...basically AAB offering unis having places in clearing, and how likely they are to take lower offers (certainly no lower than BBBB).

I know nobody can really say and places are more competitive etc...but thought that looking at last years clearing places would just give me a vague idea.
Reply 1
Dude, it's definitely going to be more competitive this year so last year may not that relevant. I'm in a similar position to you; I had an offer of BBB for MechEng but I think i'll miss that and get BCC or BBC. I e-mailed unis last week and most are telling me to wait. Best thing to do is wake up early at like 6, go shop for The Independent and look through whilst checking track before going in for results. Make a list of phone numbers of the unis you'd like to try; all this is basically what i'm doing.

P.S. I've asked about Physics courses as well :wink:
Reply 2
J-tro
Hi all, I know the lists are removed once they're done with, but I was just wondering what the best unis in clearing were last year, and what kinds of grades they accepted. I applied to top unis and missed out on my insurance a bit with my lowest offer being AAB, I'm semi-confident in getting it but I'm not so sure so I'm preparing for clearing.

I've been looking at Glasgow and Edinburgh as they have slightly lower offers normally, but was wondering what the chances of places like Kings College, Bath etc...basically AAB offering unis having places in clearing, and how likely they are to take lower offers (certainly no lower than BBBB).

I know nobody can really say and places are more competitive etc...but thought that looking at last years clearing places would just give me a vague idea.

Edinburgh and Glasgow have lower offers because it's an extra year at university in Scotland, so first year isn't as advanced as it would be in England. If you wanted to the degree in the same time as you would in England (three years BSc, four years MSci) then Glasgow want AAA to include further maths. So pretty high entry req, and still ABB for first year.

Last years courses will be of no help to you- this year is more competitive again. Even places like Aberdeen, which was so far away from most folk that its never been full, is reporting it's full for virtually everything. Glasgow and Edinburgh have no places at all either. To be honest, I cannot see the competitie universities being in clearing for anything significant. Scottish results are out so some of the Scottish universities should give you an idea of what to expect, but there wont be much. If you miss your offer and really want to go you might have a shot going somewhere less competitive and trying to transfer, but it's a risky tactic. Best to just wait and see what comes up, too hard to predict otherwise.

Latest

Trending

Trending