The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Chat

Scroll to see replies

Sliced Bread
Is Experimental Maths interesting/required for anything?
It looks bleh, and I'm not one for coursework/report sort of stuff. But it's list A for some reason.

Edit: Just saw Tintin's post on the module

Is it a prerequisite for anything in Second/Third year? I followed up the 'Leads to' links but the linked modules don't appear to require it, per se.

Nothing that I know of. It's just something to do in term 3 if you are bored. It perhaps gives you a motivation to revise/gets you out of a revision state where you spend all your time in the Grid/Library/your room.

As for the workload - small pre class work you have to do and hand in, then do the main project. My group did it in the class and stayed later for an hour or so. Others met up during the week to finish it.

It's possible to do 1 hour work just before the 3 hours class, attend the 3 hour class and do an additional hour after it and hand it in = 5 hours. Total time 25 hours. If you score your average it adds about 1.5% to your Seymour if you over-CAT.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 1581
TheTallOne
Nothing that I know of. It's just something to do in term 3 if you are bored. It perhaps gives you a motivation to revise/gets you out of a revision state where you spend all your time in the Grid/Library/your room.

As for the workload - small pre class work you have to do and hand in, then do the main project. My group did it in the class and stayed later for an hour or so. Others met up during the week to finish it.

It's possible to do 1 hour work just before the 3 hours class, attend the 3 hour class and do an additional hour after it and hand it in = 5 hours. Total time 25 hours. If you score your average it adds about 1.5% to your Seymour if you over-CAT.

Apart from being easy marks, is there any benefit to taking it at all? Will it help with ANY modules later on, because I dont particularly like the whole programming/computer assisted side of things.
TheTallOne

K
cat balance
66-72-12
OK on terms? (the 12 is on Number Theory/Exper Maths)
PhyMath
Apart from being easy marks, is there any benefit to taking it at all? Will it help with ANY modules later on, because I dont particularly like the whole programming/computer assisted side of things.

There's virtually no programming in the course last year. It's simply entering a few numbers, pressing enter a couple of times and copying the graphs. It isn't that difficult. Maths by Computer will be more of a challenge than Exp Maths.

Benefit? Not much.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sliced Bread
K
cat balance
66-72-12
OK on terms? (the 12 is on Number Theory/Exper Maths)

I did 72-66-6.

From term 1 to term 2 I noticed a large drop in workload. [Term 2 was like :woo: and I went out considerably more: 3-4 times (or once 6 times in 8 days) a week compared to 2 or so in term 1] I'd be cautious doing more than 80 in one term though.

Get an additional 6-12 CATS as a back up in term 1, just in case other term 1 modules turn out to be awful. You don't have to attend all of the lectures, perhaps the first one or two and drop them if you hate them. I went to a load of term 1 first lectures and quickly decided that doing anything more than one physics module would be hell and I would sleep through most of it and also that Stats Lab and Games and Decisions has a boring first lecture.

It's better to go from 162 to 144 rather than 150 to 132 IMO.

But it certainly isn't as bad as being 'forced' to do Number Theory, Thermal Physics and Exp Maths in term 3 because you need 120 CATS to meet the standard load.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1585
ziedj
Are there winter exams? This seems like something I should already know..

I know there are exams in Analysis and Foundations at the beginning of term 2, but not sure about others.
miml
I know there are exams in Analysis and Foundations at the beginning of term 2, but not sure about others.

That's all that I had last year. Stats lab have an inclass open book exam at the end of term 1 (I think it counts for a large part of that course).
(edited 13 years ago)
Haha what, a decline in workload in term 2? No way - you have actual proper analysis to do, linear algebra, and geometry and motion, all with regular sheets. Somewhat more demanding than DEs and Foundations :P
Reply 1588
Tompazr
Stats lab finishes in term 1. If you wanna do it, do it as it will just give you a higher % overall and not take away from any revision time for the others. Experimental on the other hand does take a day a week away from revision for the other modules and its only worth 6 cats.

I'd not take experimental and take stats lab in your position. However I am rather partial to exams. :smile:

But there are so many other modules one could take in year 2 that you can score as well on, if not better.

Do you mean it is examined in term 1 as well? Or is it only the teaching that finishes in term 1 and it is examined in the summer with everything else.
miml
Do you mean it is examined in term 1 as well? Or is it only the teaching that finishes in term 1 and it is examined in the summer with everything else.

Stats lab finishes in term 1. You don't need to do anything else after then.
coffeym
Haha what, a decline in workload in term 2? No way - you have actual proper analysis to do, linear algebra, and geometry and motion, all with regular sheets. Somewhat more demanding than DEs and Foundations :P

I spent **** loads of time doing those Analysis I assignments. Analysis II I only really did section B questions (my exam mark was hurt a bit as well by 14% though).
Perhaps I had more fun.
(edited 13 years ago)
TheTallOne

Hm I might pick up Stat Lab then, but I know if I pick up a module I'll probably not drop it and going over 150 seems a bit pointless.
Sliced Bread
Hm I might pick up Stat Lab then, but I know if I pick up a module I'll probably not drop it and going over 150 seems a bit pointless.

If the original term 1 modules all seem OK to you, drop Stats lab after the first week.
brap brap

so like

this thread

got

totally boring.

what are you freshers looking forward to most? everyone better be well friendly to the freshers helpers coz we r the best lyke.

BEST ANSWER WINS A HIGH5!
Reply 1594
Totally Tom
brap brap

so like

this thread

got

totally boring.

what are you freshers looking forward to most? everyone better be well friendly to the freshers helpers coz we r the best lyke.

BEST ANSWER WINS A HIGH5!

I forgot how retarded this thread got when you are around.

And to answer your quesiton, I'm looking forward to sitting in my room alone doing maths, fapping, lurking and wishing that the people in my corridoor weren't so mean to me, secretly knowing that I could use my self taught mantis kung-fu to beat all of the sport students up if I really wanted to. :rolleyes:
PhyMath
I forgot how retarded this thread got when you are around.

And to answer your quesiton, I'm looking forward to sitting in my room alone doing maths, fapping, lurking and wishing that the people in my corridoor weren't so mean to me, secretly knowing that I could use my self taught mantis kung-fu to beat all of the sport students up if I really wanted to. :rolleyes:

how many sports students do you think we have?

the rest sounds good. but I don't think I want to give you a high5.
Reply 1596
I'm looking forward to find a way to either get my accommodation early, or find a place to stay (not the Maths or Stats workroom, please!) from Saturday till Saturday.
(edited 13 years ago)
Narev
I'm looking forward to see which fresher I can con to let me stay in their accommodation until Warwick Accommodation gives me my room on the 2nd.

Keegan edit so that it doesn't come across as quite so weird.
TheTallOne
I spent **** loads of time doing those Analysis I assignments. Analysis II I only really did section B questions (my exam mark was hurt a bit as well by 14% though).
Perhaps I had more fun.

Who are you in real life again? Or do I not know?
coffeym
Who are you in real life again? Or do I not know?

Stephen. Knows Kathleen. And Tom. "Chinese"

Quick Reply

Latest