The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
Original post by 082349
Self-entry but you can select your colleges if they're registered at the College Board. If not, you can scan the score report and have it on hand if they ask for it.

College Board code for Oxford is 6706
Offered accepted to Leeds University Business School to start in September. Getting nervous the more I read about the transition, but at least I speak English, so that's a bonus.
Original post by thesmiter
Question: How are your prior AP scores reported to UK colleges? Self-entry?

Self-reported. You'll have to send something more official once you have an offer.

Original post by GordonGekko
What's the deal with Aberdeen/the University of Aberdeen? Looking to do an exchange there next year. It's really the only school that works with my major (petroleum engineering). Any info? I'm Canadian.

Jealous of your major. If I was half-decent at math, I would've definitely done petro engineering. All I can tell you about Aberdeen is its way up north. And this is the only exposure I've had to the city: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_guDN7IZ0U

Original post by BryanUsrey
Offered accepted to Leeds University Business School to start in September. Getting nervous the more I read about the transition, but at least I speak English, so that's a bonus.

Don't worry about the transition. Just make sure you have your bank stuff, etc sorted before heading off. I'd also recommend moving in a week before you need to. This way you can get your room setup, buy necessities, etc.
Does it really matter if we take AP Stat or AP Calc? Like for PPE or EPAIS or just general Economics?

:P
Original post by Gurmeet.Kapoor
Does it really matter if we take AP Stat or AP Calc? Like for PPE or EPAIS or just general Economics?

:P

I know for LSE, statistics is not considered to be a "relevant subject"; it might be like that at other unis as well but I'm not entirely sure. If you are choosing between the two, take calc.
Hi, I hope that I've found the right place to post.

I'm a USA student and currently finishing high school a year early (graduating with the class of 2012 in June) and I intend on taking a gap year to sort out how I am going to apply for UK unis so that I may attend in 2013.

I want to major in Criminology/Social Policy and found several schools offering the course through UCAS - but a lot of them mention Associate Degrees/SAT I/SAT II/ACT/AP Exams.

I took three AP courses this year but took none of the exams, nor did I take the SAT. I plan on taking the SAT I during my gap year though, and probably two SAT II exams (one being Level 1 Math, not sure about the other one yet, maybe English or Spanish?) but I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the right way. Do I need to be doing more in my gap year in order to qualify for uni? Should I enroll in community college? I feel a little clueless about all of this. If anyone could shed some light on what I need to be doing especially during my gap year then that would be very appreciated.
Original post by magicspell
Hi, I hope that I've found the right place to post.

I'm a USA student and currently finishing high school a year early (graduating with the class of 2012 in June) and I intend on taking a gap year to sort out how I am going to apply for UK unis so that I may attend in 2013.

I want to major in Criminology/Social Policy and found several schools offering the course through UCAS - but a lot of them mention Associate Degrees/SAT I/SAT II/ACT/AP Exams.

I took three AP courses this year but took none of the exams, nor did I take the SAT. I plan on taking the SAT I during my gap year though, and probably two SAT II exams (one being Level 1 Math, not sure about the other one yet, maybe English or Spanish?) but I'm not sure if I'm going about this in the right way. Do I need to be doing more in my gap year in order to qualify for uni? Should I enroll in community college? I feel a little clueless about all of this. If anyone could shed some light on what I need to be doing especially during my gap year then that would be very appreciated.

No, you shouldn't need to. As long as you meet the requirements before starting at the uni there shouldn't be a problem. Let me explain; they will want reasons to give you an offer. Those things are a personal statement(which isn't the same as the essays I hear US colleges/unis ask for), a reference usually although I think there are some other experiences in this thread, past grades(though it might be slightly different for US applicants) and unless I'm forgetting anything I think that's it. So if they gather that you'd be a good addition to the university in your case they'll make you a conditional offer, with conditions believe it or not. Before you can attend the university you must meet those conditions. Once you meet them they'll make your conditional offer unconditional and you'll be all set.

I would ask what grades you expect to achieve and why you want to study that course. Generally speaking it tends to be more of a vocational course in the UK and if it were me I wouldn't bother unless it was at one of the best universities.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
No, you shouldn't need to. As long as you meet the requirements before starting at the uni there shouldn't be a problem. Let me explain; they will want reasons to give you an offer. Those things are a personal statement(which isn't the same as the essays I hear US colleges/unis ask for), a reference usually although I think there are some other experiences in this thread, past grades(though it might be slightly different for US applicants) and unless I'm forgetting anything I think that's it. So if they gather that you'd be a good addition to the university in your case they'll make you a conditional offer, with conditions believe it or not. Before you can attend the university you must meet those conditions. Once you meet them they'll make your conditional offer unconditional and you'll be all set.

I would ask what grades you expect to achieve and why youwant to study that course. Generally speaking it tends to be more of a vocational course in the UK and if it were me I wouldn't bother unless it was at one of the best universities.

Thanks for replying so soon. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I'm able to begin my application through UCAS. Does anyone know if I'll be able to do this before I even take these exams such as SAT/ACT/SAT Subject tests?

As for applying at one of the best universities, my options that seem to have sensible requirements for me are: Queen's University Belfast, Swansea University, and University of Westminster.

The one that have requirements that I may or may not qualify for are Liverpool Hope University, University of Sheffield, and LSE.

Cost is a concern too, since I am studying this course out of full interest as well as the vast job possibilities - I don't want to drown in student loans. I understand the prices are far higher now for international students than they were a couple of years ago.

Given the circumstances of wanting a good university which isn't excessively costly - which of these seem ideal?
Thanks for replying so soon. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I'm able to begin my application through UCAS. Does anyone know if I'll be able to do this before I even take these exams such as SAT/ACT/SAT Subject tests?

As for applying at one of the best universities, my options that seem to have sensible requirements for me are: Queen's University Belfast, Swansea University, and University of Westminster.

The one that have requirements that I may or may not qualify for are Liverpool Hope University, University of Sheffield, and LSE.

Cost is a concern too, since I am studying this course out of full interest as well as the vast job possibilities - I don't want to drown in student loans. I understand the prices are far higher now for international students than they were a couple of years ago.

Given the circumstances of wanting a good university which isn't excessively costly - which of these seem ideal?

Start UCAS? Yes, you kinda have to or you can't get an offer.

You haven't told me what grades you expect to get. The best unis actually have really reasonable offers for this course compared to most subjects. I would suggest emailing universities for their typical offer for US applicants before discounting them. I'll give you a list of the top 13 unis in no particular order offering your course and you can go from there. Durham, Cardiff, Swansea, Leeds, Leicester, LSE, Loughborough, Manchester, Sheffield, York, Surrey, Southampton, Lancaster. I haven't checked all their sites but UCAS says they offer it. Top 3 in bold.

No, actually tuition fees are far higher for domestic students next year compared to the current ones. I don't think they've changed much for internationals. Durham tuition fees are $19,820 per year according to today's exchange rates, so lets say $20,000. And I guarantee you it's a lot cheaper than an equivalent uni in the US. Though London unis do tend to be more expensive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by alexs2602
Start UCAS? Yes, you kinda have to or you can't get an offer.

You haven't told me what grades you expect to get. The best unis actually have really reasonable offers for this course compared to most subjects. I would suggest emailing universities for their typical offer for US applicants before discounting them. I'll give you a list of the top 13 unis in no particular order offering your course and you can go from there. Durham, Cardiff, Swansea, Leeds, Leicester, LSE, Loughborough, Manchester, Sheffield, York, Surrey, Southampton, Lancaster. I haven't checked all their sites but UCAS says they offer it. Top 3 in bold.

No, actually tuition fees are far higher for domestic students next year compared to the current ones. I don't think they've changed much for internationals. Durham tuition fees are $19,820 per year according to today's exchange rates, so lets say $20,000. And I guarantee you it's a lot cheaper than an equivalent uni in the US. Though London unis do tend to be more expensive.

Right, I do intend on starting UCAS but am I able to start my application before actually taking the exams that I know are definitely required of USA students (such as SAT scores)? As in, I express my intent on taking those exams but I won't have the result to submit with my application just yet - depending on when I apply. I plan on taking all of my tests before the end of 2012, and I'm not sure when my application should be submitted.

Sorry, do you mean my grades at the end of this year? I've made all As, Bs, and one C in my entire high school career. I'm graduating with a 4.2 GPA and ranked in the 14th percentile of my class. Granted, I got Bs in the three AP classes that I did take, but I've taken many honors classes and chiefly received As. As I said, there are some Bs. I'm finishing this semester with one B and three As, four As if you count the online class I finished a while back which gave me the credit needed to graduate.

As for emailing them about their typical US offer - what kind of questions should I be asking? I'm assuming I'll email their admissions office.

Can I also ask why I should only be looking at the best universities?
(edited 11 years ago)
You should be starting your application at the earliest time possible (i.e. now). At least you should get started on your personal statement.

You should apply to the best unis because that is the best return for your money and they offer the best teaching. If you are going to settle for an average uni, why not just stay in America? It is a waste for everybody unless you apply to the best. Of course, you should always have "medium" risk applications and "low" risk ones that you are certain of getting, but at least two or three should be from the top unis.

Email the admissions office and ask what grades you need to achieve to meet an offer from them.
Reply 4191
Right, I do intend on starting UCAS but am I able to start my application before actually taking the exams that I know are definitely required of USA students (such as SAT scores)? As in, I express my intent on taking those exams but I won't have the result to submit with my application just yet - depending on when I apply. I plan on taking all of my tests before the end of 2012, and I'm not sure when my application should be submitted.

Sorry, do you mean my grades at the end of this year? I've made all As, Bs, and one C in my entire high school career.

As for emailing them about their typical US offer - what kind of questions should I be asking? I'm assuming I'll email their admissions office.

Can I also ask why I should only be looking at the best universities?

Is it at all possible for you to sit the AP exam tests? Even independently? My husband went to Durham after going to high school in the US and they required 3 AP scores from him, he had taken the SAT and subject tests as well... UK schools typically want AP scores as the US diploma is typically pretty easy to get, and like half my graduating class got a 4.0+ (I went to school in the US, too), so they really don't ride on the GPA at all.

You won't need to submit your UCAS app until the middle of January, so there's no rush, but I would take the SAT as soon as possible (and maybe rush scores if you can?) because you may want to take it again. My husband got a 1500 on the old SAT (which i think would equate to a 2250 now?) and five 5's and a 4 on his AP exams which got him into Durham.

For many unis, you can also take the ACT if it turns out you don't test well on the SAT, though you'll still need to take SAT subject tests. I would advise having the tests taken before submitting your ap; however, you can just put that you're taking the exams when you enter qualifications, and they'll set scores as conditional if you haven't already. I think it may be easier to get accepted on current scores than to say "i'm taking these tests eventually," and have them set a bar for you.

Also, as is repeated dozens of times on these forums, your personal statement is SO IMPORTANT.

When you email the unis, let them know you're from the US, taking a gap year, what tests you'll be sitting and your GPA, and ask if they have any advice regarding an application to the degree program you want to study. They'll let you know if they have any.

And the reason you should be looking at the best universities is essentially just 1) you'll get a better education and 2) the degree will have more weight when searching for jobs. Although I have to say, most Americans probably don't know any of the good schools here aside from Oxford/Cambridge and maybe some of the london schools like UCL/LSE, etc. I mean it's the same reason you'd go to an Ivy or Baby Ivy rather than midwestern state uni. People that go to better schools get better educations and better jobs, for hte most part. I mean, there are obvs exceptions, but :I. Still, I'd apply to two great schools, two more realistic schools, and one super easy option, just to be safe.
Original post by punctuation
You should be starting your application at the earliest time possible (i.e. now). At least you should get started on your personal statement.

You should apply to the best unis because that is the best return for your money and they offer the best teaching. If you are going to settle for an average uni, why not just stay in America? It is a waste for everybody unless you apply to the best. Of course, you should always have "medium" risk applications and "low" risk ones that you are certain of getting, but at least two or three should be from the top unis.

Email the admissions office and ask what grades you need to achieve to meet an offer from them.

That makes sense - best typically parallels to the most-expensive and cost is still a huge concern for me next to getting accepted.

Original post by sarahoo
Is it at all possible for you to sit the AP exam tests? Even independently? My husband went to Durham after going to high school in the US and they required 3 AP scores from him, he had taken the SAT and subject tests as well... UK schools typically want AP scores as the US diploma is typically pretty easy to get, and like half my graduating class got a 4.0+ (I went to school in the US, too), so they really don't ride on the GPA at all.

You won't need to submit your UCAS app until the middle of January, so there's no rush, but I would take the SAT as soon as possible (and maybe rush scores if you can?) because you may want to take it again. My husband got a 1500 on the old SAT (which i think would equate to a 2250 now?) and five 5's and a 4 on his AP exams which got him into Durham.

For many unis, you can also take the ACT if it turns out you don't test well on the SAT, though you'll still need to take SAT subject tests. I would advise having the tests taken before submitting your ap; however, you can just put that you're taking the exams when you enter qualifications, and they'll set scores as conditional if you haven't already. I think it may be easier to get accepted on current scores than to say "i'm taking these tests eventually," and have them set a bar for you.

Also, as is repeated dozens of times on these forums, your personal statement is SO IMPORTANT.

When you email the unis, let them know you're from the US, taking a gap year, what tests you'll be sitting and your GPA, and ask if they have any advice regarding an application to the degree program you want to study. They'll let you know if they have any.

And the reason you should be looking at the best universities is essentially just 1) you'll get a better education and 2) the degree will have more weight when searching for jobs. Although I have to say, most Americans probably don't know any of the good schools here aside from Oxford/Cambridge and maybe some of the london schools like UCL/LSE, etc. I mean it's the same reason you'd go to an Ivy or Baby Ivy rather than midwestern state uni. People that go to better schools get better educations and better jobs, for hte most part. I mean, there are obvs exceptions, but :I. Still, I'd apply to two great schools, two more realistic schools, and one super easy option, just to be safe.

Unfortunately it's not possible for me to take the AP exams for those three courses at this point. I plan on taking the SAT at the earliest test date and then at least two SAT subject tests (probably English and Math - it doesn't appear that there are specific ones I should take in relation to my desire to study Criminology and Social Policy). I can schedule a date to take the ACT as well - I have plenty of time. I'll also try to get all of this taken care of before January so that I can have my scores submitted back to me ASAP to include in my app.

Speaking of the amount of time I have - will UK unis frown on me having this gap year? I normally wouldn't have done this but I took it anyways since I graduated a year early. I intend on finding a full-time job so that I can save up money since I'll be taking out huge loans but that will only be after summer's over.

In regard to the best unis - are those in the Russell Group some of the best ones?
Reply 4193
That makes sense - best typically parallels to the most-expensive and cost is still a huge concern for me next to getting accepted.

Unfortunately it's not possible for me to take the AP exams for those three courses at this point. I plan on taking the SAT at the earliest test date and then at least two SAT subject tests (probably English and Math - it doesn't appear that there are specific ones I should take in relation to my desire to study Criminology and Social Policy). I can schedule a date to take the ACT as well - I have plenty of time. I'll also try to get all of this taken care of before January so that I can have my scores submitted back to me ASAP to include in my app.

Speaking of the amount of time I have - will UK unis frown on me having this gap year? I normally wouldn't have done this but I took it anyways since I graduated a year early. I intend on finding a full-time job so that I can save up money since I'll be taking out huge loans but that will only be after summer's over.

In regard to the best unis - are those in the Russell Group some of the best ones?

Oooh, yeah, the Russell Group ones will typically be the best--don't worry too much about the better ones costing more. Generally, you'll find the price doesn't vary too much from the "best" schools to the um, less savory. Honestly you'll find probably a range from 11k to 13.5k from what I've found! And an extra 6k in the grand scheme of things, especially when it comes to the quality of education and the amount of direct support you'll receive at school, really will be worth it. The UK doesn't have a huge markup on education like America does, as far as I've found. Just compare the prices from the RG's to the other unis you were looking at, you may be pleasantly surprised!

And they won't mind you having taken a gap year! They're mega common here. If possible, I'd maybe try volunteering with something involving what you'll be studying, they really love stuff like that, and it shows you've used your gap year "productively" even if it's just a couple hours a week. If you can't do that, do some reading relevant to your studies, so you can write about how you've been keeping up with study over the gap year.

If you can, try to take a trip over here and visit some of the unis you're interested before you submit your final app, or at least before you choose! I've only lived in the UK for a year, but it really amazes me that for such a small country, everywhere I go has its own unique feeling.
Original post by sarahoo
Oooh, yeah, the Russell Group ones will typically be the best--don't worry too much about the better ones costing more. Generally, you'll find the price doesn't vary too much from the "best" schools to the um, less savory. Honestly you'll find probably a range from 11k to 13.5k from what I've found! And an extra 6k in the grand scheme of things, especially when it comes to the quality of education and the amount of direct support you'll receive at school, really will be worth it. The UK doesn't have a huge markup on education like America does, as far as I've found. Just compare the prices from the RG's to the other unis you were looking at, you may be pleasantly surprised!

And they won't mind you having taken a gap year! They're mega common here. If possible, I'd maybe try volunteering with something involving what you'll be studying, they really love stuff like that, and it shows you've used your gap year "productively" even if it's just a couple hours a week. If you can't do that, do some reading relevant to your studies, so you can write about how you've been keeping up with study over the gap year.

If you can, try to take a trip over here and visit some of the unis you're interested before you submit your final app, or at least before you choose! I've only lived in the UK for a year, but it really amazes me that for such a small country, everywhere I go has its own unique feeling.

Thanks so much - your response makes me feel a lot more confident in approaching this!

There are a few of the Russell Group unis which look very appealing to me (Belfast, Sheffield, and Cardiff) so I think I'll be contacting their admissions office and I should explain my current situation, my GPA exiting high school, the exams I plan on taking, and ask if my credentials are sufficient and if they have any advice about applying for the course I'm interested in.

Westminster and Swansea are both appealing to me as well - these could be my additional choices. Should I email their admissions office with the same concerns as above? I'm not sure how to find an easy-option uni that would be my fifth choice.

... so I think I'll be contacting their admissions office and I should explain my current situation, my GPA exiting high school, the exams I plan on taking, and ask if my credentials are sufficient and if they have any advice about applying for the course I'm interested in.

Often the uni's have specific info about international student admissions on their sites, spelling everything out re tests (AP, SAT/ACT, SAT II, etc.), test scores and GPA they consider, etc. so check first before asking for info that is already on their site. Also the international office if they have one might be more appropriate for any additional questions you have.

I may be wrong, but I don' think the UCAS application opens until September?

Probably one of the most important things you will need to do ASAP is to find a high school teacher who will serve as your "referee" (reference). For international students applying independently (i.e. not through a recognized "centre" or school), your referee must complete his/her evaluation before you can submit your completed application. You can certainly start working on all of the parts of the UCAS app when it opens, but you won't be able to push the final submit button until that referee does their bit. When you open the UCAS app, there is a place on the UCAS application to supply the referee's e-mail address and then UCAS will send them a link to what they need to do. When you ask a teacher to be your referee, be sure they understand they will need to check their school e-mail address over the summer (and their spam folder) for the link.

Good luck!
Original post by cbredear

No, it definitely opens sometime early summer. I remember from last year.
Original post by cbredear
Often the uni's have specific info about international student admissions on their sites, spelling everything out re tests (AP, SAT/ACT, SAT II, etc.), test scores and GPA they consider, etc. so check first before asking for info that is already on their site. Also the international office if they have one might be more appropriate for any additional questions you have.

Probably one of the most important things you will need to do ASAP is to find a high school teacher who will serve as your "referee" (reference). For international students applying independently (i.e. not through a recognized "centre" or school), your referee must complete his/her evaluation before you can submit your completed application. You can certainly start working on all of the parts of the UCAS app when it opens, but you won't be able to push the final submit button until that referee does their bit. When you open the UCAS app, there is a place on the UCAS application to supply the referee's e-mail address and then UCAS will send them a link to what they need to do. When you ask a teacher to be your referee, be sure they understand they will need to check their school e-mail address over the summer (and their spam folder) for the link.

Good luck!

Thanks for mentioning the reference bit. I'm finished with school but the teachers are still there for a couple of more weeks - it would make sense then that I email my teacher now asking her if she will write a reference for me and check her email for the link?

Also, the teacher I have in mind teaches Technical Theatre at my school which in no way relates to me wanting to study Criminology and Social Policy. I have however, held an important leadership position in the Theatre Dept. and she was essentially my overseer as she was technical director for the musical - she knows me very well and has worked countless hours with me during and after school. Is this a good choice for a reference?
Reply 4198
Thanks for mentioning the reference bit. I'm finished with school but the teachers are still there for a couple of more weeks - it would make sense then that I email my teacher now asking her if she will write a reference for me and check her email for the link?

Also, the teacher I have in mind teaches Technical Theatre at my school which in no way relates to me wanting to study Criminology and Social Policy. I have however, held an important leadership position in the Theatre Dept. and she was essentially my overseer as she was technical director for the musical - she knows me very well and has worked countless hours with me during and after school. Is this a good choice for a reference?

not really. They are interested in your ability/aptitude for the course you want to study, not your leadership ability. Look at the class lists for the courses you are interested in and pick a teacher that has some link to the core classes you will be taking, or who has taught you classes that use similar kinds of thinking. Oxfords website has advice for teachers in writing the reference- you haveto fish around in the site, but it's there- that should help you focus your choice. Try a search for O.U. Teachers e-guide.
Original post by DCDude
not really. They are interested in your ability/aptitude for the course you want to study, not your leadership ability. Look at the class lists for the courses you are interested in and pick a teacher that has some link to the core classes you will be taking, or who has taught you classes that use similar kinds of thinking. Oxfords website has advice for teachers in writing the reference- you haveto fish around in the site, but it's there- that should help you focus your choice. Try a search for O.U. Teachers e-guide.

Unfortunately I don't have a well-established relationship with any teacher who teaches a course that has a direct link to the course I'm interested in. In my Working with my Tech teacher for two years has allowed her to see my skills in research, communication, etc. and not solely leadership. I looked up the Oxford guide and it recommends focuses on the student's academic skills and experiences - would this not be sufficient then?

Quick Reply

Latest