The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by catsss
Yes- that Sweden comes first in the phrase! Not that it's the best overall. :plz2:

And I think the forgetfulness is understandable. I mean, we've been talking about Norway. Sometimes ones mind is just so impressed with the glory of it, you forget about everything else. Don't worry, it happens to me frequently as well. Very bad news when driving.

Darn! And here I was hoping I'd tricked you.

I'll tell you what Norway does have going for it: amazing wilderness! I would kill to visit during my year abroad just to be able to take it all in. More mountains than Sweden, that's for sure. And, I do owe Norway something else, too. When we read Ibsen's A Doll's House, that's when I was first introduced to Scandinavia. I suppose without Norway and dear Henrik, I'd never have chosen it as a subject.

But, then again, Norway was simply a bridge that allowed me to cross over into the amazing superiority that is Sweden. :biggrin:

I kid, I kid. Both countries are highly respectable and superior to all others in the world. Who says they both can't be number one? We'll just leave Denmark out of it because, really, can anyone stand Danish? :tongue:
Reply 781
Original post by EcstaticMuse
Darn! And here I was hoping I'd tricked you.

I'll tell you what Norway does have going for it: amazing wilderness! I would kill to visit during my year abroad just to be able to take it all in. More mountains than Sweden, that's for sure. And, I do owe Norway something else, too. When we read Ibsen's A Doll's House, that's when I was first introduced to Scandinavia. I suppose without Norway and dear Henrik, I'd never have chosen it as a subject.

But, then again, Norway was simply a bridge that allowed me to cross over into the amazing superiority that is Sweden. :biggrin:

I kid, I kid. Both countries are highly respectable and superior to all others in the world. Who says they both can't be number one? We'll just leave Denmark out of it because, really, can anyone stand Danish? :tongue:

Good question! And ohh yes, Ibsen! Excellent. Ironically, I was supposed to read that for my English class this year, but didn't.
I should probably do that before I go.

Have you seen that "This is Norway" video, where the guy with the cute accent talks about all things gloriously Norwegian?
Original post by catsss
Good question! And ohh yes, Ibsen! Excellent. Ironically, I was supposed to read that for my English class this year, but didn't.

Have you seen that "This is Norway" video, where the guy with the cute accent talks about all things gloriously Norwegian?

Youtubing it right now. Will get back to you. :smile:
Original post by catsss

That was a great video! :biggrin:
Reply 784
Original post by ChantzFox
It's all in the genes really come from a long line of coolness. :biggrin:

I only agree with this since you are probably a mix of ye olde UK genes + a sprinkle of american indian + others
Reply 785
That was a great video! :biggrin:

Loool, I found it so amusing. And his accent was the cutest thing. :awesome:
Reply 786
Could someone please enlighten me on the difficulty of getting into King's College London? I am currently a Junior in an American high school aiming for a BSc in Computer Science.
So I got an email from St Andrews this morning and they are asking me to send them my transcript and official copies of grades, but I am a little confused. They tell me to send a certification of my scores from one of the following: SAT, ACT, or AP examinations. Even though it only says to send from one of the following, should I send copies of all the grades I've reported? I wouldn't even know which one to choose from! It also says that my transcript must include my grades up to and including the current semester. But my grades from the current semester would not be on the transcript as the semester has not finished yet. Should I just send them a copy of my report card? Ah, I'm slightly confused! If anyone could help it would be much appreciated! :biggrin:
Original post by catsss
Loool, I found it so amusing. And his accent was the cutest thing. :awesome:

His accent was darling.
I just heard about the 32 students who got the Rhodes Scholars who are going to Oxford next year, anyone here a part of it?

Just wondering.. :rolleyes:
Ignore my previous question..I had an appointment with my counselor and although she is super incompetent and took like 30 mins to even understand what I was asking, she sent off everything to st andrews. Though, she sent off sat grades that I didn't report on UCAS because I didn't know my scores then or whether I wanted to use them..but I got them this morning and they are significantly better than my old scores. So do you think even though I didn't report them, st andrews will still take them into account?
Original post by jayjaybird33

OFFER FROM EDINBURGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET A 4 ON ONE OF MY 5 AP TEST

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

... and send in my signed reference :biggrin:

Congrats!
I feel like a puppy in a shelter going through this whole application. Bark cutely and hope they rub your belly and take you home.
*Sigh*
Original post by kristinaalovesu
I just heard about the 32 students who got the Rhodes Scholars who are going to Oxford next year, anyone here a part of it?

Just wondering.. :rolleyes:

Yup, one was third in her class at the Naval Academy. Will be getting an MSc in something with regards to the environment.
Hey, guys! I just thought I'd start a thread where we can all talk about, freak out about, and discuss the application process to the UK. I'll start off by introducing myself! I was born in Canada but live outside Atlanta, GA and hope to study Classics/Classical Archaeology. Choices are in my sig. :biggrin:

Since September 1st is swiftly approaching, it'll be nice to have others to talk to as we try and get everything sorted in time to send it out! Looking forward to talking to you all!

currently commute between acworth,ga ( 1.5 hours north of atlanta) and new york...applying for medicine...
OFFER FROM UCL, OMG!

:biggrin: :biggrin: I am in shock. Need a moment. Will be back after collapsing. :biggrin:
Reply 796
OFFER FROM UCL, OMG!

:biggrin: :biggrin: I am in shock. Need a moment. Will be back after collapsing. :biggrin:

Good job :biggrin: Now you know how I felt when I got into UT :biggrin:
Reply 797
OFFER FROM UCL, OMG!

jfdis;ajdfojisfd yayyyy! That's fantastic! Congraaats! ^^
OFFER FROM UCL, OMG!

Congrats!!!:biggrin:

I have to attend an open day on Dec. 6th to get mine. Butt since I can't be there I probably have to talk to them on the phone now *nonononononono*. I'm awfull on the phone.

So I'm super jealous that they just gave it to you straight without having to make sure "you're on board with UCL" :angry:
Reply 799
Congrats!!!:biggrin:

I have to attend an open day on Dec. 6th to get mine. Butt since I can't be there I probably have to talk to them on the phone now *nonononononono*. I'm awfull on the phone.

So I'm super jealous that they just gave it to you straight without having to make sure "you're on board with UCL" :angry:

Yea, I got lucky, now I'm just waiting for my transcript to be filed at the school before I can do all my financial aid stuff for loans. I am going to need quite a few... I've got my grants, my Pell Grant, and well student loans will have to cover the rest. Hopefully I can find a cheap place to live near the school.

Quick Reply

Latest