The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrnsmi
Hello! New member here, and I'm so glad to have found this board!

I'm an American applying for an MSc program in the UK. The people at the school I'm interested in have been very kind and helpful, they even gave me the email address of a current American student, and we emailed a few times.
However, I have a few questions that I feel, frankly, stupid asking directly to the department.
One is about the personal statement. How long should it be? At American schools they usually expect 1-2 pages, but I've heard that at UK schools they're generally shorter, around 300-500 words. Is that true? Just to be clear, this is post-graduate studies, which are done to each school individually, not through UCAS.

Also in some example personal statements for MSc programs that I've found online, the writers mention their hobbies and what they do in their spare time. Is that REALLY expected? Because in my mind that information is mostly irrelevant, takes focus away from the point of the essay (why I want to join the course and why I'd be a good addition), and that I'd really just make myself look silly talking about the fact that I go kayaking on weekends.

Not certain about postgrad entry but undergrads have limit of 4000 characters inc spaces or 47 lines. Is there nothing on their sites?
Original post by Mrnsmi
Hello! New member here, and I'm so glad to have found this board!

I'm an American applying for an MSc program in the UK. The people at the school I'm interested in have been very kind and helpful, they even gave me the email address of a current American student, and we emailed a few times.
However, I have a few questions that I feel, frankly, stupid asking directly to the department.
One is about the personal statement. How long should it be? At American schools they usually expect 1-2 pages, but I've heard that at UK schools they're generally shorter, around 300-500 words. Is that true? Just to be clear, this is post-graduate studies, which are done to each school individually, not through UCAS.

Also in some example personal statements for MSc programs that I've found online, the writers mention their hobbies and what they do in their spare time. Is that REALLY expected? Because in my mind that information is mostly irrelevant, takes focus away from the point of the essay (why I want to join the course and why I'd be a good addition), and that I'd really just make myself look silly talking about the fact that I go kayaking on weekends.

PG personal statement's are generally longer than UG ones. The standard from what I've seen is 1-2 pages as you have said about the US system, although closer to 1 than 2. Make sure it is clear and concise though, don't just ramble on for 2 pages; if you've said everything you need to say in 1 page then leave it at that.

Some advice about personal statements; as well as the content of it (which you sound like you have a basic idea of what to write) you should remember that the admissions staff will have tens if not hundreds (course dependent) of applications and personal statements to read so try and make yourself stand out and ensure the statement is aesthetically pleasing. I don't mean put pictures in it or anything, but make sure the font is of a decent size and the spacings throughout are adequate. When you think about the number of words you can fit on one typed page, once it's correctly formatted you should be circa 5-600.

With regards to the content itself it is personal choice whether or not to include your hobbies. I would steer clear of having a section dedicated to this as, like you say, it is somewhat pointless, but feel free to mention things in passing if it somehow relates to and strengthens the point you are trying to make. Admissions staff want someone to stand out and jump off the page when they read a statement. Most people applying for your course will have similar academic standing so you will need something else to make them pick you. If someone picks up a personal statement and sees a wall of text they will instantly be put off by it.
Hey, why are you going to UK for?

Think of the American equivalents of UCL. They're immense.
UK is ite, USA is better to my view.
Original post by agolati

Why are you wasting your time with a worthless BA in life science? Just stick with the econ degree and go into Ibanking like 50% of your class does.

See? Personal preference.
Original post by adam0311
Why are you wasting your time with a worthless BA in life science? Just stick with the econ degree and go into Ibanking like 50% of your class does.

See? Personal preference.

Ha, just what I was thinking; "What the **** is life science?" Sounds like some pseudointellectual bull****. At least in the UK you know what you're getting.
Reply 1185
Ah, I don't think they were meaning to come off as rude.

Original post by agolati

Everyone has their reasons. One of mine was the fact that I didn't have to have been grooming myself from middle school with extracurriculars and perfect grades to have a chance at getting into the UCL equivalents. They also offer more opportunities for what I plan on studying that US universities (namely the chance to spend a year abroad in a Scandinavian Country).
Different strokes for different folks, etc.
Reply 1186
Uni in the UK: Thank you, you answered my questions perfectly. I will definitely not be putting in hobbies. It's pointless, and IMO the admissions committee could give a crap! I have plenty of more relevant things to talk about.

adam0311 and alexs2602: Haha, thanks for the defense. Although, since I have a degree in biology I have to assure you that 'life science' is not psudointellectual. It's a catch all term for biologically related sciences like genetics, ecology, mircobiology, bacteriology, virology, cell biology...basically it comes from the fact that there are so many subfields of biological science.
It happens with other sciences too. For example, ones like geology, oceanography, etc. have the catchall term 'earth science', and ones that aren't directly related to living things like physics fall under the term 'physical science'. However, there's so much overlap between the three that the categories are really kind of pointless.
Reply 1187
Original post by agolati

Cultural diversity; academic focus; collegiate system; no emphasis on sports; 3 years; differentiation (i.e., upon graduation & return to US, compared to the countless Ivy grads, I'll have a real good story to tell); Hadrian's wall and other Roman ruins
Original post by alexs2602
Ha, just what I was thinking; "What the **** is life science?" Sounds like some pseudointellectual bull****. At least in the UK you know what you're getting.

Looks like he's in the Roy and Diana Vagelos Program. Supposedly its for a career in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry...don't see how the combination works there. Personally I would drop the BA and go for IB, but to each their own.

Original post by catsss
Ah, I don't think they were meaning to come off as rude.

No. I was. I know the Wharton type. This is how you have to talk to them. Otherwise you can't get your point across.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1189
Original post by agolati

Well that depends on what course you're applying for doesn't it?

When it comes to the Ivys there are TWO that have the program I want to study, and I have no interest in paying the 100 dollar application fee at each when the likelihood I'll get in is pretty small just based on the shear number of applicants.

I am, however, applying to non-Ivy League US schools that have the program I want. I'm just considering schools in the UK too because they're more focused, I'd be able to learn more of exactly what I want to, and graduate in one year instead of two.
Original post by Mrnsmi
Uni in the UK: Thank you, you answered my questions perfectly. I will definitely not be putting in hobbies. It's pointless, and IMO the admissions committee could give a crap! I have plenty of more relevant things to talk about.

adam0311 and alexs2602: Haha, thanks for the defense. Although, since I have a degree in biology I have to assure you that 'life science' is not psudointellectual. It's a catch all term for biologically related sciences like genetics, ecology, mircobiology, bacteriology, virology, cell biology...basically it comes from the fact that there are so many subfields of biological science.
It happens with other sciences too. For example, ones like geology, oceanography, etc. have the catchall term 'earth science', and ones that aren't directly related to living things like physics fall under the term 'physical science'. However, there's so much overlap between the three that the categories are really kind of pointless.

That makes a little more sense. I just find American titles so ****ing vague and misleading. I'm sure we have a clearer title over here in the UK though for the life of me I can't think what. We have natural sciences(not the same as life sciences, suppose Nottingham's equivalent, as per the quote lower down, would be biological sciences. Plain and straightforward) over here which I think is a great title, it differentiates between social and natural sciences obviously. By natural sciences we mean things that need scientific experimentation I believe. Natural sciences covers errrr....

Nottingham
Archaeology
Biological sciences
Chemistry
Geography
Mathematics
Physics
Psychology

I dunno, I'm dead tired right now; can't think straight.
Reply 1191
That is interesting because in the US, Archeology would be considered a social science! With the techniques these days that isn't entirely accurate anymore, but overall it's grouped more with Anthropology and History than Biology and Chemistry.

Even Psychology would be considered at least a softer science. However, with new advances in psycho-pharmacology and neurobiology...that'll probably change over time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1192
Original post by EcstaticMuse
Hey, guys! I just thought I'd start a thread where we can all talk about, freak out about, and discuss the application process to the UK. I'll start off by introducing myself! I was born in Canada but live outside Atlanta, GA and hope to study Classics/Classical Archaeology. Choices are in my sig. :biggrin:

Since September 1st is swiftly approaching, it'll be nice to have others to talk to as we try and get everything sorted in time to send it out! Looking forward to talking to you all!

Ah.... Atlanta. Went there this summer and struggled to go two days without being offered weed.
Original post by bob247
Ah.... Atlanta. Went there this summer and struggled to go two days without being offered weed.

I call BS unless you were staying by college park/ga tech area.
Reply 1194
Original post by adam0311
I call BS unless you were staying by college park/ga tech area.

Ok, mild exaggeration :tongue: But I was offered it at least 3-4 times.
Original post by bob247
Ok, mild exaggeration :tongue: But I was offered it at least 3-4 times.

What part were you staying at? And are you including clubs/parties?
Reply 1196
Original post by agolati

Why? I could write a whole dang novel on this.

Compared to its UCL's private school equivalents the overall cost of a degree is lower, tuition for example is ~15k pounds vs 40k USD at Penn.

I finish my BSc in 3 years and if I so choose my masters in 4. How? I'm not forced to pay 2000 dollars for a class on Human Environmental Interaction or Advanced Pony Grooming. In the UK I actually get to a full load of courses that relate to my major from day one, cutting all the bullcrap.

Admissions in the US are horrific. I've seen students who were way over qualified get rejected at places like MIT in favor of an under qualified student for some pretty stupid reasons. A person in the top 10 of his class, near perfect SAT scores, doing classes way beyond the standard high school curriculum like by taking Multivariate Calc by his junior year, extracurriculars that I could never possibly dream of attaining like placing first in state for the math team. He gets rejected from MIT, in favor of a person who is in the top 25% of her class, has less than stellar extracurriculars and has by no means gone beyond the regular high school curriculum in any way shape or form. What does she have? She has a recommendation letter from one of the heads of departments at MIT that she met over some womens summer camp at said school. You have to realize that without a good standard of measuring students by, such as the A levels, admissions to the top schools become a giant crapshoot. Students have to know from day 1 of high school, or even middle school that they are aiming for a school like HYPSM and prepare from day 1 to participate in as many extracurriculars as possible, to attain as high a G.P.A as possible and to gain as many ways to stand out as possible. Yet even then there is no guarantee or even a decent shot at admissions.

Contrast admissions in the US to the admissions in the UK, in the UK admissions requirements are clear cut, I want 3 A's at A level or in the Oxbridge case they test you and interview you. Simple, Fast,Nerveracking as crap but nonetheless terribly efficient and a good means of determining good student from bad.

I could go on for longer, but I think I have enough. Don't you?
Original post by choices

Compared to its UCL's private school equivalents the overall cost of a degree is lower, tuition for example is ~15k pounds vs 40k USD at Penn.

I finish my BSc in 3 years and if I so choose my masters in 4. How? I'm not forced to pay 2000 dollars for a class on Human Environmental Interaction or Advanced Pony Grooming. In the UK I actually get to a full load of courses that relate to my major from day one, cutting all the bullcrap.

Admissions in the US are horrific. I've seen students who were way over qualified get rejected at places like MIT in favor of an under qualified student for some pretty stupid reasons. A person in the top 10 of his class, near perfect SAT scores, doing classes way beyond the standard high school curriculum like by taking Multivariate Calc by his junior year, extracurriculars that I could never possibly dream of attaining like placing first in state for the math team. He gets rejected from MIT, in favor of a person who is in the top 25% of her class, has less than stellar extracurriculars and has by no means gone beyond the regular high school curriculum in any way shape or form. What does she have? She has a recommendation letter from one of the heads of departments at MIT that she met over some womens summer camp at said school. You have to realize that without a good standard of measuring students by, such as the A levels, admissions to the top schools become a giant crapshoot. Students have to know from day 1 of high school, or even middle school that they are aiming for a school like HYPSM and prepare from day 1 to participate in as many extracurriculars as possible, to attain as high a G.P.A as possible and to gain as many ways to stand out as possible. Yet even then there is no guarantee or even a decent shot at admissions.

Contrast admissions in the US to the admissions in the UK, in the UK admissions requirements are clear cut, I want 3 A's at A level or in the Oxbridge case they test you and interview you. Simple, Fast,Nerveracking as crap but nonetheless terribly efficient and a good means of determining good student from bad.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :biggrin:
Original post by choices

So you're saying that you like the UK's system because it's more prejudiced toward white, culturally integrated, men who graduate from independent schools?
At least for me, the reasons I'm going to study in the UK are just that the schools are easy to get into and the legal drinking age is 18.

Quick Reply

Latest