The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

LSE's official estimates:

Tuition Fees: $24.222.72
Room: $16,600.00 (this is 250 GBP per week for room and bills for 40 weeks)
Board: $4,980.00
Books: $1,992.00
Travel: $2,324.00
Personal: $5,312.00
Other Essential Costs: $4,980.00
Total Cost of Attendance: $60,410.72

At the current exchange rate, this is actually $56,407.60, but your loan is still for $60k plus, unless you ask for less.

They do say "maximum" costs for the cost of living, the two flights are 1,500, and that's 1,000 for a computer and 500 for health insurance. I don't know why you'd need the 500 for health insurance unless your parents aren't insured and you're going back to the US for holidays, as from what I'm aware NHS is free even for overseas students.

I highly doubt there's any way a student could spend $60k on the cost of living, unless that included jetting off to the Continent every weekend, but I'd still get the maximum amount of loan just in case there were unexpected circumstances.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by the_lone_ranger
I was looking at LSE's loan application worksheet, and somehow, they've come up with their estimated cost of attendance as a whopping SIXTY thousand dollars. That does have the exchange rate at $1.66 to 1 GBP, and hopefully it will stay down in the $1.55 range, if not get lower. That also includes over two grand for two round trip flights, which is definitely an overstatement, and I think something like a 1,000 GBP computer allowance, which I wouldn't need.

I am a bibliophile, but $50 a week for books is a lot even for me. Textbooks aren't that expensive, and I'd use the library if I could. The prospect of buying that many books would be awesome though! I also doubt I'd need 35 GBP a week for travel, as most LSE halls are within walking distance of the classes.

The 75 per week for food may not be that big of an overestimate, though. Passfield is the only LSE hall that provides meals, and they only provide dinner. Several of the other halls don't really even have full kitchens for access, and yet they charge 4 pounds a night for dinner and 2.50 for breakfast, so 10 a day even eating cheaply is probably about right.

In halls, I think 150 would be way too high, but rent is quite expensive at most of them for a single or an ensuite--at least 100 almost everywhere. I don't know where in London the second and third years tend to live and how much that costs, but I guess I'd figure it out if I went there.

And at Durham I'm applying to read Combined Honours in Arts--I'm applying for History and Politics everywhere else (well, Government and History as it's called at the LSE) but Durham no longer offers a specific History and Politics course so I'm going for Combined Honours instead.

And I know Durham will be substantially cheaper than London. Tuition fees are 11,000 GBP and housing is less than 5,000 fully catered, so even at 100 GBP spending money per week, that's only 19,000 GBP not including flights, so $30,000 might even be an overestimate.

Durham and LSE are my top two choices. I'm most likely going to visit over my spring break, and hopefully I'll have at least one offer from those two by then. If not, I get a fun spring break in England and make up my mind for when I do get an offer.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with most of this.

I never actually realized LSE budgets it that high. If they advertise that they loose a huge selling point--cost-- to perspective American applicants.

LSE and Durham are my top two as well. I'm leaning more towards Durham because I view it as more academic. LSE has a very corporate feel. Aside from that, I like the collegiate system...and even though I'd be Are you leaning towards a particular one? The combined honors degree is pretty cool---history and politics would've been my choice as well if I wasn't going for law.
Original post by jayjaybird33
Whooop! We're out here in Arkansas too! :smile:

It's been snowing since 3. SOEXCITED :biggrin:

Yeahhhh! Except around here, it's no longer a snow day. It's an ice day. So much more making snowmen!
Original post by adam0311
Yeah, I pretty much agree with most of this.

I never actually realized LSE budgets it that high. If they advertise that they loose a huge selling point--cost-- to perspective American applicants.

LSE and Durham are my top two as well. I'm leaning more towards Durham because I view it as more academic. LSE has a very corporate feel. Aside from that, I like the collegiate system...and even though I'd be Are you leaning towards a particular one? The combined honors degree is pretty cool---history and politics would've been my choice as well if I wasn't going for law.

Not yet. I think that LSE is going to be more prestigious and is a small school environment, but has the advantage of being in London, whereas Durham is less well known in the USA, but does seem more traditional and academic, and has the advantage of small colleges within a large university.

However, I don't know if I can deal with a town as small as Durham. I guess I'll see how I like it when I visit.
Original post by the_lone_ranger
Not yet. I think that LSE is going to be more prestigious and is a small school environment, but has the advantage of being in London, whereas Durham is less well known in the USA, but does seem more traditional and academic, and has the advantage of small colleges within a large university.

However, I don't know if I can deal with a town as small as Durham. I guess I'll see how I like it when I visit.

Really? I actually had the opposite impression--even though LSE has the smaller numbers, I feel like there'd be more of a "treated as a number" effect there.

I was a tad hesitant at first with Durham being a small town. But being 20 minutes away from Newcastle, and an hour and a half away from Edinburgh...coupled with the fact you're only there 8 weeks at a time put me at ease. I actually think I'd be able to perform better at Durham vs. LSE bc of less distractions from London--and this is coming from someone who only applied to city schools in the US.

The reputation of either school is less of a concern for me since I plan on starting my career in the UK. But if my primary goal was to come back here, then no question that would be a significant factor in the decision.

But yeah visiting is the only way to truly find out.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1385
Has anyone made a profile on yougo? Or You Go Further, whichever it is. I assume that you need to have made your decision before registering, but! Just wondering. :h:
Reply 1386
Original post by catsss
Has anyone made a profile on yougo? Or You Go Further, whichever it is. I assume that you need to have made your decision before registering, but! Just wondering. :h:

I think I made one 2 weeks ago or something--haven't been back but obviously you don't have to have made your decision . . . and as I remember, you don't even need any offers.
Reply 1387
Original post by skypig97
I think I made one 2 weeks ago or something--haven't been back but obviously you don't have to have made your decision . . . and as I remember, you don't even need any offers.

Ah, I see. Whenever I was registering, it asked me to pick a course, so I just exited out rather than make a decision I wasn't sure about.
I'll look into it again. Have you found any use for it?
Original post by catsss

Yeah, I made one...I found like 1 or 2 people on my course.

STA travel usually has 600 USD round trip flights.

Wait! The round trip flights is around 600 USD? I thought it would be more than 1500 USD or something like that.
Original post by kristinaalovesu
Wait! The round trip flights is around 600 USD? I thought it would be more than 1500 USD or something like that.

LA to London is $598 right now--round trip. If you can get to NYC, you'd save $36.

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xchg/us_division_web_live/hs.xsl/rss-deals-europe.htm

LA to London is $598 right now--round trip. If you can get to NYC, you'd save $36.

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xchg/us_division_web_live/hs.xsl/rss-deals-europe.htm

How come mine says its $1104?-roundtrip. From Sacramento to London.
How come mine says its $1104?-roundtrip. From Sacramento to London.

That's weird. What's it say for NYC-London roundtrip?

That's weird. What's it say for NYC-London roundtrip?

From NYC-London its $706.- roundtrip as well. :shock:
Idk why mine is expensive.
Austin to Gatwick via Charlotte is $651 roundtrip on US Airways (Wednesday 9 March to Wednesday 17 March). Houston Intercontinental to Heathrow nonstop on Continental is $656 roundtrip for the same days

Austin to Heathrow on Continental via Houston is $715 round trip leaving those Fridays--really great price for a weekend flight, and it's the one I'm thinking of taking for my spring break trip (only $46 more expensive than leaving on Wednesday, and I don't have to miss as much class).

I think it's interesting, though, that it's only $13 more expensive round trip for Austin-Houston Intercontinental-Heathrow than it is for Houston Intercontinental-Heathrow, even though Austin-Houston Intercontinental is usually at least $95. Likewise, it's only $20 cheaper to fly on the Charlotte-Gatwick leg of the US Airways flight than it is to continue to Austin--the tickets are priced exactly the same, the only difference is in the taxes and fees.

The cheapest fares are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays--they can be as much as $200 cheaper than the same flight times on the weekends, though as I found above it's not necessarily that much more expensive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hello there guys quick question...

On the education section of UCAS, I've added "USA-High School Graduation Diploma"

And under that, it says Modules, would I add ALL the classes I've taken during my past 4 years of high school in it? Or can I just leave it as High School Diploma and put when I'll graduate?

Please let me know, thanks. pm or replying here would be fine :smile:
Original post by noodlecup93

On the education section of UCAS, I've added "USA-High School Graduation Diploma"

And under that, it says Modules, would I add ALL the classes I've taken during my past 4 years of high school in it? Or can I just leave it as High School Diploma and put when I'll graduate?

Just when you graduate. The schools over there don't really care about your Honors classes, just AP's, which you'll put in the qualifications section separately. :smile:

Hurry up!!!

Yes, you need to put your recent subjects that you're taking. Although im not sure, im pretty much confident that the rest of our fellow American Tsr Users will be able to help you in just a bit.

EDIT: Yep Ecstatic muse already helped you. :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hurry up!!!

Yes, you need to put your recent subjects that you're taking. Although im not sure, im pretty much confident that the rest of our fellow American Tsr Users will be able to help you in just a bit.

EDIT: Yep Ecstatic muse already helped you. :wink:

That's me! :biggrin:
Original post by EcstaticMuse

Original post by EcstaticMuse
That's me! :biggrin:

hahahaha and now you're in Canaduh!

EDIT: Ok this is weird but your flag not long ago was Canada. So i thought maybe you went to Canada. :awesome:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest