The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

EcstaticMuse
Question: Do we have to submit all AP's/all sittings of SAT/ACT etc? Or if we got a poor grade on one AP exam (ahem, Statistics... *cough, cough*), could we just not list that under qualifications? I think I remember reading somewhere that it would be considered withholding of information and that they could completely withdraw your application. Any ideas?

I would post all of your APs but not all of the SATs and ACTs, just go with the higher ones on that.
jayjaybird33
I would post all of your APs but not all of the SATs and ACTs, just go with the higher ones on that.

Ok, thanks!
Reply 162
alygoots
hey! I am applying for Law at SOAS.

My qualifications are on the 5th page, and something like the 17th post down! You'll see it! Mine are not that great either, but pretty much on par with all the universities I applied to except Sussex, which is like my definite safety. For a little while I thinking of making a reach for Warwick but I ended up not doing it.

Yeah I think making a personal statement to suit those subjects is rather tricky. I applied for Law at all my universities, though some had minor differences like Law and Politics, or Law with International Relations, but they are still in the same general subject area so I did not have a very hard time.

That sounds great. I hope you get admitted to your desired university... I think it's fantastic you can earn a law degree in 3 years in the UK right out of high school!

Actually I applied for International Relations at four universities... and I have written my personal statement just about IR. I hope this doesn't deter my chances too much of being admitted to Geography at SOAS.
Reply 163
jayjaybird33

What if you have taken the SAT's multiple times? Is it okay if you just post your highest section scores from different sittings? Like my highest writing score is from the first time I took the SAT, but my highest math and reading are from the second time... so is it okay if I submit M+W+R scores from different sittings?
Reply 164
mayhem66
Hey everyone! I looks like most of the people in this thread have already sent off their applications, so I might be a bit late to the party, but I'm from Arizona and I'm looking to study chemical engineering over in the UK. The problem is that I'm having a hard time figuring out where I should be looking since most university websites simply say they consider SAT and AP qualifications on an individual basis. Here's my stats:

SAT I: 2110 total
- 740 Reading
- 700 Math
- 670 Writing
SAT II:
- 780 Literature
- 770 Math Level II
- 720 Physics
APs:
- AP United States History - 4
- AP Physics B - 4
- AP Latin: Vergil - to be taken
- AP Calculus AB - to be taken
- AP Biology - to be taken
- AP Chemistry - to be taken

I'm looking into Edinburgh, but I also want to look at schools in England. Any ideas for where I should start looking?

Maybe consider UCL, I know they have a program in Chemical Engineering.
acbi3
That sounds great. I hope you get admitted to your desired university... I think it's fantastic you can earn a law degree in 3 years in the UK right out of high school!

Actually I applied for International Relations at four universities... and I have written my personal statement just about IR. I hope this doesn't deter my chances too much of being admitted to Geography at SOAS.

Law is my main course. But I'm applying to one uni for a joint honours (law and politics) and another to just criminology. My PS only deals with law. But there is quite a bit of crossover to politics (work experience in congress and mentioned interest in political issues) and criminology obviously has a bit to do with law. There's definetly a bit of crossover between geography and IR, particularly when you start focusing in on social, political, and economic factors. So I wouldn't sweat it.
acbi3
What if you have taken the SAT's multiple times? Is it okay if you just post your highest section scores from different sittings? Like my highest writing score is from the first time I took the SAT, but my highest math and reading are from the second time... so is it okay if I submit M+W+R scores from different sittings?

Superscore it.
adam0311
Superscore it.

We can do that? YES! I thought we had to put everything. But we need to put every AP exam, right?
mayhem66
Hey everyone! I looks like most of the people in this thread have already sent off their applications, so I might be a bit late to the party, but I'm from Arizona and I'm looking to study chemical engineering over in the UK. The problem is that I'm having a hard time figuring out where I should be looking since most university websites simply say they consider SAT and AP qualifications on an individual basis. Here's my stats:

SAT I: 2110 total
- 740 Reading
- 700 Math
- 670 Writing
SAT II:
- 780 Literature
- 770 Math Level II
- 720 Physics
APs:
- AP United States History - 4
- AP Physics B - 4
- AP Latin: Vergil - to be taken
- AP Calculus AB - to be taken
- AP Biology - to be taken
- AP Chemistry - to be taken

I'm looking into Edinburgh, but I also want to look at schools in England. Any ideas for where I should start looking?

Well here's the thing. While your qualifications are solid...you'd need to get some 5's if you want the really top schools. The british take a levels. AP for the most part is comparable to a levels in that a 5=A 4=B 3=C. So if you look at the typical offers for the british kids at the top unis it is usually AAA. This equates to a 555. Some schools will ask for less, some schools will ask for more. LSE is crazy enough to ask for five 5's for one of its courses. Some questions to consider when picking a uni...
Will you have financial constraints? If so, steer clear of London. Do you want city or country? What type of teaching philosophy most interests you? These should get you started.

Definetly throw in one scottish uni. So Edinburgh should get you started. Imperial is about the best there is for science type stuff. Arguably tied with Cambridge. They ask for A*AA for UK kids. You would need 3 5's on an AP exam plus one more 5 to feel in the safe zone. Two of the exams need to be Calc BC and Physics C. For Chemical Engineering you'd probably need Chem too. So basically to get an offer from Imperial you would need a 5 Calc BC, 5 Physics C, and 5 Chem. I sure as hell could never get that.

Anyways now for some realistic choices. Look into Newcastle, UCL (already mentioned by someone else), and Birmingham. There are only about 25 schools in the UK that even offer chemical engineering, so employment wise you need to shoot for the top 15. If I were you I would make UCL the number one goal. You have the SAT score, whch is good. They'll need four 4's or 5's on an AP. You'll probably need 2 5's, and 2 4's to feel safe. They ask for AAB for chemical engineering. So a 5544 plus a solid personal statement would put you in a good position.
EcstaticMuse
We can do that? YES! I thought we had to put everything. But we need to put every AP exam, right?

I'd go ahead and do it. You never know, they could take a low AP score and count it as a qualification. As long as you have the right amount of good scores, low scores don't matter. They just don't count the low scores.
adam0311
I'd go ahead and do it. You never know, they could take a low AP score and count it as a qualification. As long as you have the right amount of good scores, low scores don't matter. They just don't count the low scores.

Ok, thanks! But that's good we can superscore the SAT. I have ACT this Saturday! :s-smilie:
EcstaticMuse
Ok, thanks! But that's good we can superscore the SAT. I have ACT this Saturday! :s-smilie:

Ahh I'm taking it Sat. too!! I need to get my math up!!!!!!!!
jayjaybird33
Ahh I'm taking it Sat. too!! I need to get my math up!!!!!!!!

Same here. Best of luck! :biggrin:
I see you're applying to georgetown! :smile: niiice! its a lovely university, but expensive as hell, same with george washington university. :smile: I live close georgetown last year. :P
alygoots
Gah!!! Why can't I be in a flawless financial situation....? :frown:
I guess I could consider applying but I am already unsure of my choices.
I have already got
Cardiff, Exeter, SOAS, and then I do not know which two to choose out of this group:
Kent, Sussex, Swansea, York, and now Edinburgh!

hey you! :smile: look at my signature! im having the same problem! haha :eek3:
acbi3
Why is it so important you submit your application early? One of my universities told me they don't look at any applications until after Jan 15. I have to wait until I get my October SAT scores before I submit mine.

hey me too! i will get my SAT I/II exam on october and november! My ACT exam is on october too. :s-smilie: i think im gonna submit mine in mid november and december. :s-smilie: im so worried.
EcstaticMuse

omg im supposed to take the ACT exam this saturday too, but rescheduled it because i feel like im not prepared yet! i will take mine on OCT.23. i bought a book to help study ACT and SAT. Although im just applying for foundation course, i think its more better if i also take those exams.
kristinaalovesu
I see you're applying to georgetown! :smile: niiice! its a lovely university, but expensive as hell, same with george washington university. :smile: I live close georgetown last year. :P

Sure am! I won't go without a scholarship, though. I hope I can pull some connections because my brother teaches there! Yay for super-smart ambitious older siblings!

But, of course, that's assuming I even get in... which is not that likely... And I'd rather go over to the UK- much more cost effective and you get more for your money!
Reply 178
kristinaalovesu
hey you! :smile: look at my signature! im having the same problem! haha :eek3:

I ended up choosing York and Sussex out of the "unsure" group!
Reply 179
Does anyone know it the universities would ever make conditional offers asking for a certain SAT score?
I have only seen ones asking for APs.

Quick Reply

Latest