The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by EcstaticMuse

New game plan: blue and red (we'll ignore white, since we did that this week) for Norway's colors. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. :tongue:

Hmm, I think I have blue. I'll check and give it until 3 pm to remove the nailpolish.
Original post by catsss
Hmm, I think I have blue. I'll check and give it until 3 pm to remove the nailpolish.

Perfect. I'll do red today. (I'm so sorry, dear Sweden, but it's for a good cause!)
This will work! And if not... :call: "Hello, UCL? Yes, I would like to file a formal complaint. My name? Tilda. Yes, that's my real name."
Original post by larkind
I got an unconditional from st andrews in modern history!
:biggrin:

Congrats! A got an unconditional for modern history as well!
Reply 1783
just an update/ question
im in my senior year of hs and got an offer from the UK for a 6 year program. has anyone else heard back yet? if so, from where...
Original post by tsauce
just an update/ question
im in my senior year of hs and got an offer from the UK for a 6 year program. has anyone else heard back yet? if so, from where...

What are you doing? Med? Vet? Arch? or something like that?
Reply 1785
Original post by catsss
Congrats! That's fantastic! Do you think you'll firm or anything?

:cry: waiting on ucl...

I don't really understand the whole firming thing yet. Is it binding? Is it better for me to firm now and then wait for my US schools to get back to me or wait for the US schools & then firm?
I'm just so psyched to have a spot!
Reply 1786
Original post by SummerRain92
Congrats! A got an unconditional for modern history as well!

at st andrews?
Original post by larkind
at st andrews?

yup! social anthropology and modern history. Do you think St. Andrews is where you will be next year then?
Reply 1788
Original post by larkind
I don't really understand the whole firming thing yet. Is it binding? Is it better for me to firm now and then wait for my US schools to get back to me or wait for the US schools & then firm?

Ah, I'll look into that and get back to you.

On another note-

Do you guys think you'll be doing self-catered or...?
Original post by larkind

Its not really binding. They can release you. But there's no rush in firming, since you have until May/June to accept offers.

What US schools are you waiting on?
Original post by catsss

Catered. Makes the most sense financially imo. Plus it'll give you the opportunity to meet people in your halls, etc. You can change to self-catered in your second and third years.
Reply 1791
Original post by adam0311
Its not really binding. They can release you. But there's no rush in firming, since you have until May/June to accept offers.

What US schools are you waiting on?

Aha! I knew if I did something like that, someone knowledgeable would come along and get me out of answering it!

Thank you for that.
Original post by catsss
Aha! I knew if I did something like that, someone knowledgeable would come along and get me out of answering it!

Thank you for that.

I got you.
Original post by catsss

On another note-

self catered.
Original post by jayjaybird33
self catered.

Same. I'm kind of a picky eater and really enjoy cooking. Also, good practice for when we move out and rent a flat! :yep:
Reply 1795
Original post by jayjaybird33
self catered.

Why is that?
Original post by EcstaticMuse
Same. I'm kind of a picky eater and really enjoy cooking. Also, good practice for when we move out and rent a flat! :yep:

I agree. I was planning on self-catered as well. Plus I think you can meet just around the same amount of people in either accommodations.
Original post by catsss

On another note-

Catered. I'm not responsible enough to remember to make my own meals.
Original post by SummerRain92
I agree. I was planning on self-catered as well. Plus I think you can meet just around the same amount of people in either accommodations.

Exactly! And I eat at obscure times so wouldn't be able to make the catered meals, anyway. And yes, definitely good for socializing. I can't remember if you've already said but are you set on where you want to go?
Reply 1799
Original post by catsss

Catered. I'm a strange case. I've been cooking for myself for 10 years, so you would think I would want self-catered. I think it will be cheaper to do catered it I'm disciplined enough to eat in college for almost all my regular meals, though.

Here in the US, where restaurants and (especially) grocery stores are cheap, it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference whether I paid on a meal-by-meal basis at a restaurant or paid for all my meals at once in college. But if my time in the UK on vacation a few years ago is any indication, a normal meal at Subway can cost £10! I'm looking forward to 1) getting a variety of foods without thinking about the cost and 2) not washing dishes (bane of my existence)!

Quick Reply

Latest