The Student Room Group

Classics at University?

Hi, I've never studied Classics before - ever. But I'm studying English Literature and Theatre Studies at Glasgow, and we get to choose another subject, so I was thinking Classics. Will I be at a serious disadvantage, not having studied it before? And, just wondering if there was any reading I need to have done beforehand? The course is 'Early Greece, from Troy to Plataea, 776-479 BC'.

I guess I just want to know if it will be too difficult for me, before I make a definite decision. I know it's hard to judge, but just any opinions really. Thanks :smile:
I've done classical civilisation at A level and am going to start Classics at uni soon.

I would say it depends a bit on the course- is it literature, art, or history based? Either way having done english shows you have an analytical mind and can probably write essays. Actually I don't think it would be 'too' hard even if it was history- just get someone who's done history to help you translate your skills slightly. I struggled slightly with the art module of my A level because I have difficulty remembering names and dates a long with an image of say a statue or vase. On the other hand I also really enjoyed what we were learning, and seeing that transitions from early art to high classical stuff.

So, on balance, go for it!! *two thumbs up*
Reply 2
I never studied Classics before uni and I'm averaging a 2:1 with it. :smile: If you put the effort in, there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy it and be good at it.

Latest