The Student Room Group
I did this - In my first year I chose horrid subjects (maths, further maths, chemistry, physics, critical thinking) which didn't suit me at all. Ended up with a D in Maths A level, a C in chemistry, didn't take the exam in physics, and managed to scrape a B in critical thinking.

I was soooooooo close to giving up on college all together, but decided to go back, with a totally new attitude and completely different subjects. Now, I've just left college with A* Politics, A* Psychology, A* English Language and B in Philosophy, and I'm going on to study Politics and Philosophy at Exeter.

Starting again was definately worth it for me =]
Reply 2
IrishPerson
anyone else doing this?
i got BEU so im repeating the whole year.. yay

I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths for AS the first time around and got DUDD respectively. I then repeated the year with History, English Language, English Lit and Philosophy, and got ABBb as my final A Level grades.

I definitely made the right choice in repeating. You'll get stick from your friends but they'll get used to it, you'll make new ones and you'll have got used to the system and do better the second time around.
Reply 3
KitKat1212
Woww you've given me a lot of hope!
I'm repeating year 12...I got BBCUU.

Couldn't you resit any of the exams? BBC are good grades, and even the Us can be changed with resits.
Reply 4
I did - now I'm off to Warwick.
Reply 5
emmahyphenleigh
I did this - In my first year I chose horrid subjects (maths, further maths, chemistry, physics, critical thinking) which didn't suit me at all. Ended up with a D in Maths A level, a C in chemistry, didn't take the exam in physics, and managed to scrape a B in critical thinking.

I was soooooooo close to giving up on college all together, but decided to go back, with a totally new attitude and completely different subjects. Now, I've just left college with A* Politics, A* Psychology, A* English Language and B in Philosophy, and I'm going on to study Politics and Philosophy at Exeter.

Starting again was definitely worth it for me =]

Hi seeing as you did psychology at a level, could you just let me knw what its like cuz i plan on doin it for the first year but have heard that it is really hard and there are many case srudies to learn...this is putting me off slightly. Thnx
Dee.x
Hi seeing as you did psychology at a level, could you just let me knw what its like cuz i plan on doin it for the first year but have heard that it is really hard and there are many case srudies to learn...this is putting me off slightly. Thnx

Psych can be hard at times, and there is alot to learn, but if you are really interested in the subject its not nearly as difficult as it seems. All A levels are hard, what makes the difference is how much you're willing to work, and I've found that generally corresponds to how much you enjoy it.

If I was you, I'd begin doing some reading around the subject before you start, newspaper articles or whatever. If you find it interesting, you'll be fine. If it bores the life out of you, jump ship now and pick another course!

Oh, and yes, there are lots of case studies to learn, but you can pick which ones you want to learn, so pick the ones which you think are interesting and you shouldn't have much trouble =]

hope this helps!
Reply 7
emmahyphenleigh

Starting again was definitely worth it for me =]

woww thats quite inspiring! thanksss
Reply 8
i did economics, maths and business studies
im not sure if i should change a few subjects around or keep the same ones....
Reply 9
Yeah, a lot of people make the mistake of just going for the A Levels which are percieved (by ill-informed students) to be the "best" and most difficult because they did well at GCSEs. A few people at my Sixth Form chose Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology just because they got good GCSE grades and thought they would look better.

Turns out D's, E's and U's in those subjects aren't paticulary sought after by Universities.

Pick subjects which you enjoy and which you are good at. Start again with a new outlook and try to enjoy your learning. Even if you wanted to get into Oxford or Cambridge, you don't have to choose those subjects. There are plenty of subjects which are on par in terms of reputation at the top Uni's as the sciences.

For the record, i'm not saying that Maths and the Sciences are a bad choice. For some people they are the perfect choice because they excel in them and they enjoy them. However they are often chosen after bad/no advice and people think they are the easy way into a good University if you had good GCSEs.
Yeahhh I got DEEU my first time and retook and got ABBB in Maths Physics Geogrpahy and ICT.
Reply 11
First time through I did maths, physics, chemistry, biology and general studies and came out with 4 U's and an E (the E in physics) for AS.
Second year repeat I did physics, maths, f. maths, biology, chemistry and came out with 4A's and a B (B in biology) for AS.
At the end of the second year I realised just how stupid I was.
I did kinda bad this year, sort of wasted my time, realllly regret that now. So in my AS Levels I ended up with a C in History a C in English Lit a C in Sociology and a E in Politics. In one of my sociology exams i got a B and in the other a D, and i did bad in both politics and history exams, and i want to drop english i hate it. I was thinking of retaking a year with history sociology and poltics and keeping english as an AS, or should i just carry on into year 13 with these grades and resit exams? I'd have to resit 4 or 5 exams. Problem is i'd have to apply to unis and im not sure what my teachers would predict me. However im also frustrated about staying behind another year, and I know it could be looked down upon by some unis. In uni I want to study either poltics and history or international relations. Kinda confused!
Reply 13
emmahyphenleigh
Psych can be hard at times, and there is alot to learn, but if you are really interested in the subject its not nearly as difficult as it seems. All A levels are hard, what makes the difference is how much you're willing to work, and I've found that generally corresponds to how much you enjoy it.

If I was you, I'd begin doing some reading around the subject before you start, newspaper articles or whatever. If you find it interesting, you'll be fine. If it bores the life out of you, jump ship now and pick another course!

Oh, and yes, there are lots of case studies to learn, but you can pick which ones you want to learn, so pick the ones which you think are interesting and you shouldn't have much trouble =]

hope this helps!

Thank you sooo much for this info, no one else seems to talk about psychology. I am very torn between this and doing rs, i did rs at gcse and got an a* but did not enjoy it all that much and dont know if i really wish to do it another year. I have read about psychology and i find it interesting, however, if it involves a lot more work than rs then i am just not too sure whether it is worth it. But if it is only a little then i am definitely going to pick it as it is more appealing to me right now. Dont know if you could add anything more to your reply, but once again thanks. i dunno if this matters but my other subjects are chem, bio and maths, i hope to do medicine at uni.is psychology just as hard as one of those subjects...? soo confused about what to do :/
Dee.x
Thank you sooo much for this info, no one else seems to talk about psychology. I am very torn between this and doing rs, i did rs at gcse and got an a* but did not enjoy it all that much and dont know if i really wish to do it another year. I have read about psychology and i find it interesting, however, if it involves a lot more work than rs then i am just not too sure whether it is worth it. But if it is only a little then i am definitely going to pick it as it is more appealing to me right now. Dont know if you could add anything more to your reply, but once again thanks. i dunno if this matters but my other subjects are chem, bio and maths, i hope to do medicine at uni.is psychology just as hard as one of those subjects...? soo confused about what to do :/

Psychology is just as academically rigorous as the sciences and maths, but its more essay based and is generally a bit more subjective, which I found much easier! It'd still mean a heavy work load, but it does tie in well with medicine. However, RS may be just as useful, knowledge of different cultural practises for instance. You could always try philosophy if its on offer, if you were good at RS you may find it relatively easy, and again it may help with medicine - i did a module on medical ethics =]

hope this helps! x

Latest