The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

ArpeggiateTHIS
For my JH in Economics and Philosophy I've got to take 80 credits of both Economics and Philosophy and have 40 spare to "spend" on another subject.

I'm wondering when we sign up for these extra credits (e.g: at registration), can anybody give me an answer?

If you log into Portal, click on Student Services & Admin at the top, and then log into Student services- it should tell you from there onwards :smile:
I'm not sure about other JH, but for my English & History it 'opens', as it were, tomorrow- first come first served.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Just checked- it seems to be the 1st for most subjects- the arts and humanities anyway- the 20th for others.
Reply 3
Woah that quickly? You don't have to consult with your tutors or anything?

EDIT: This actually scares me, why is there so much stuff on the Portal that they haven't told you about? Why couldn't they have just sent us a checklist of things to do before uni?
hey, i'm a second year joint honours student. happy to answer any queries.

yeah, you choose your elective modules before you leave, which i thought was a bit sucky as well. i missed out on latin fast track because i spent so long umming and ahhing.

if you can, try and choose from the elective module handbook asap, as a lot of popular modules get full up v. quickly. however, it's not the end of the world if you're not happy. they hold elective fairs on fresher's week where you can go talk to people from your elective department, or enquire about others. also in the handbook they should've provided emails for people responsible for those modules if you have any questions.

and, even though it is quite a bit of hassel, if you really CANNOT STAND one of your electives, and have managed to find another maybe in sem2 that you'd rather do. a lot of my friends did this last year.

hope that helps! x
Am I right in thinking I can't get on portal until I register and have a username and password and stuff? It won't let me register :frown:
Reply 6
Chantalcompowder
hey, i'm a second year joint honours student. happy to answer any queries.

yeah, you choose your elective modules before you leave, which i thought was a bit sucky as well. i missed out on latin fast track because i spent so long umming and ahhing.

if you can, try and choose from the elective module handbook asap, as a lot of popular modules get full up v. quickly. however, it's not the end of the world if you're not happy. they hold elective fairs on fresher's week where you can go talk to people from your elective department, or enquire about others. also in the handbook they should've provided emails for people responsible for those modules if you have any questions.

Thanks for your help, I've just got two questions:
1. Am I free to take ANY electives from a subject as long as they don't clash with my timetable?
2. How do I tell if they clash?
ArpeggiateTHIS
Woah that quickly? You don't have to consult with your tutors or anything?

EDIT: This actually scares me, why is there so much stuff on the Portal that they haven't told you about? Why couldn't they have just sent us a checklist of things to do before uni?

Totally agree. Looks like it's going to be a morning opening thing- though the server crashed on me at midnight when I tried so I guess others had the same idea :rolleyes:

There don't seem to be that many electives to choose from- or at least from what I was sent from my schools. I thought I was so prepared =|
How many Electives do you take? The whole Modules/credits thing confuses me rather slightly.
ArpeggiateTHIS
Thanks for your help, I've just got two questions:
1. Am I free to take ANY electives from a subject as long as they don't clash with my timetable?
2. How do I tell if they clash?

as far as my understanding goes, as long as you meet any entry requirements that are stated for the module (a particular a level or something) you are free to choose. for me last year, the material i received from the linguistics department specified that i should use my electives to "broaden my linguistic, cultural and educational knowledge". so i chose one on 2nd language acquisition and a beginners french module.

you should be able to tell if they clash because if you search them on the module catalogue:

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/banner/modulesearch.asp?Y=201011&T=S&L=UG

you can view the timetable for the module. and you're own timetable should be on the portal, though if you can't find it, you should be able to find your core modules on the module catalogue so can check on what times they are on too.
Sweet_Comrade
How many Electives do you take? The whole Modules/credits thing confuses me rather slightly.

it depends on what your course is. what is it?
They made it sound so simple on the open days :wink:
Chantalcompowder
it depends on what your course is. what is it?

Culture Studies and Russian Civilisation.
Not a very well-known one, I know!
ahh this is turning into the bane of my life at the moment! They want us to pick modules that don't clash with our timetables, but haven't said which of many, many seminar groups I could be in so how can manage that one? I've picked electives that don't clash with my lectures and I've just got my fingers crossed for now.
Reply 14
red_roses
ahh this is turning into the bane of my life at the moment! They want us to pick modules that don't clash with our timetables, but haven't said which of many, many seminar groups I could be in so how can manage that one? I've picked electives that don't clash with my lectures and I've just got my fingers crossed for now.

The main priority is that they don't clash with lectures. Seminar groups can be changed, lectures can't.
ali_baba
The main priority is that they don't clash with lectures. Seminar groups can be changed, lectures can't.

Yeah I thought so. Cheers for the confirmation :smile:
Reply 16
During Freshers week? you can go to the Electives fair and discuss what electives to take. However, the deadline for electives isnt officially till a month or so later so if you wish to change electives, you can. Either get the admin staff to sign you up to electives or do it online. I think you're supposed to sign a sheet yourself though, so its best to talk to the admin staff at Single/ Joint Honours or your subject teachers and departmental office staff. You can only take electives that fit into your timetable, unless you discuss with the elective teacher to skip some lessons.

Also you dont have to take electives in a completely different subject to what you're studying as part of your degree. If you are studying Philosophy BA and they have a module you arent already signed up for, you may take that as an 'elective'. Elective simply means a module you arent required to do, but choose for yourself.

I have no idea what people are talking about in terms of choosing before you register at uni??
If you want to see what electives are available you need to login to the portal- 'my studies'- 'undergraduate module catalogue' and choose from drop down lists the department and subject title/ area then it will present you with a list of modules available. Elective modules say 'e' at the side.

You can find out if your subjects 'clash' and therefore dont fit into your timetable by viewing elective timetables following the information above and then by viewing your own degree timetable which can be found through logging into the portal and 'quicklinks'- 'my timetable' on the right hand side.
Sweet_Comrade
Culture Studies and Russian Civilisation.
Not a very well-known one, I know!

yeah, not the most popular i've ever heard of! really, GRASS (german, russian and slavonic studies) and the other department whereever culture studies would be, should have sent you a pack letting you know how many compulsary modules/credits you have to take in each subject and how many electives you are allowed to take.

in most cases it tends to be a 40/40/40 split in joint honours. but like i was saying earlier, if it's a ab initio language they often make you take 60 credits of compulsory modules.

this should be far more helpful than me tho, completely forgot about the programme catalogue that tells you ALL ABOUT your course requirements, even found the entry for your course!

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=201011&P=BA-CST%26RCIV
Chantalcompowder
yeah, not the most popular i've ever heard of! really, GRASS (german, russian and slavonic studies) and the other department whereever culture studies would be, should have sent you a pack letting you know how many compulsary modules/credits you have to take in each subject and how many electives you are allowed to take.

in most cases it tends to be a 40/40/40 split in joint honours. but like i was saying earlier, if it's a ab initio language they often make you take 60 credits of compulsory modules.

this should be far more helpful than me tho, completely forgot about the programme catalogue that tells you ALL ABOUT your course requirements, even found the entry for your course!

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=201011&P=BA-CST%26RCIV

Ah, thank you so much!
That's really helpful! :hug:
Reply 19
Sweet_Comrade
Ah, thank you so much!
That's really helpful! :hug:

By the way you can take electives in any subject (not just the ones that GRASS offers, which is only Russian language anyway).

In the following years you will most likely have less room for electives though.

Latest