The Student Room Group

Chruch will host continous reading of Qur'an on Sep 11

Louisville church against ‘Burn a Quran Day’
The Clifton Universalist Unitarian Church will host a continuous reading of the Quran on September 11, 2010 in response to the “International Burn a Quran Day,” organized by an anti-Islamic church in Gainesville, Florida.

The event is being organized by the Louisville church as a counter demonstration against the book burning and a show of solidarity with Muslim Americans who church leaders say are being discriminated against and threatened because of the actions of a few religious extremists.

“This isn’t as much about promoting Islam, which we have no objection to, but of promoting freedom of religion and equality, which is supposed to be the American way,” says the Rev. Todd F. Eklof, a local activist and Clifton UU Church’s minister. “The anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is no time for any of us to retreat from freedom in the name of radical fear and hate.”

The church has more than 30 volunteers who will take 20 to 30 minute turns reading portions of the Quran aloud throughout the day while opening the church’s sanctuary to anyone who might want to sit and listen, says Eklof, who is the former Kentucky Farm Bureau employee who was fired by the state insurance company for protesting their opposition to gay marriage.

The book burning is being organized by Pastor Terry Jones of the Dove World Outreach Center to protest the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and has gained international attention.

In an e-mail sent to The Associated Press, Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. general in Afghanistan, condemend burning the holy book of Islam and said it would endanger American troops. At a press conference, the U.S. State Department called the plan “un-American.”

Still, Pastor Jones, who is the author of the book “Islam is of the Devil” said that while he understands the general’s concerns and noted public pressure, he plans to go forward with the demonstration to mark the ninth anniversary of the attacks.

Scroll to see replies

Being an Antitheist I'm all for burning Korans, but I don't like the sentiment this old, Bronze Age oaf's added to it; implying that Islam caused 9/11 is utter nonsense.

As long as he throws a bunch of Bibles into the bonfire then he has my blessing.
Who wants to bet that this event gets nowhere near the same coverage as the "burn a Qur'an" church event?

Honestly, it's sometimes as if the media WANTS muslims and the rest of the World at each other's throats.
Reply 3
It's all ridiculous. Muslims are free to have their religion, the guy is free to burn a book, and this guy is free to read whatever the **** he likes.

Why do people care so much about a couple of stupid Americans, a book, and some fire? Many Americans have burned books on evolution in the past but no one cares because it isn't Islam.

I support the guy burning the book just as much as I support the Muslims getting riled and the guy choosing to spread religious tolerance. But this doesn't mean I agree with any of them.
Stalin
Being an Antitheist I'm all for burning Korans, but I don't like the sentiment this old, Bronze Age oaf's added to it; implying that Islam caused 9/11 is utter nonsense.

As long as he throws a bunch of Bibles into the bonfire then he has my blessing.

Wow. You actually think book burning (whatever the book) is a good idea.

You are a complete nutcase :|

(and no, I'm not a Muslim).
This is rather amazing :smile: Passive, peaceful protest in probably the most profound way. Very unexpected considering the currently sociological climate in America (and Kentucky of all places).

For once, they're actually bothering to READ the Quran. Disagree with it/Agree with it/Hate it/Love it, at least they're bothering to actually read the Quran for once.
Reply 6
Stalin

Those 19 Muslim men who carried out the 9/11 atrocities genuinely believed that they were acting in accordance with Islam and that they would be rewarded in the afterlife for their deeds. So, it is pure madness for you to completely remove religion, and Islam in particular, from the equation in regards to the motivations that made 9/11 happen.
jumpingjesusholycow
Wow. You actually think book burning (whatever the book) is a good idea.

You are a complete nutcase :|

(and no, I'm not a Muslim).

A book which has killed millions of people? Yes, every Qur'an should be burnt, as should every Bible. I'm against religion and Islam is not an exception.
Helce
Those 19 Muslim men who carried out the 9/11 atrocities genuinely believed that they were acting in accordance with Islam and that they would be rewarded in the afterlife for their deeds. So, it is pure madness for you to completely remove religion, and Islam in particular, from the equation in regards to the motivations that made 9/11 happen.

Perhaps, but Islam wasn't their motive to destroy the Twin Towers. They could've easily picked a target closer to home, namely a few towers in Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem. Instead, they unsurprisngly took arms against the US because of it's unconditional support for Israel.
Helce

do you think they actually commited the crimes because of Islam? LOL

they commited the crime because America invaded their country, not because of Islam, these men ignored the rules of jihad which is not to kill any civilians who are unharmed. These terrorists used Islam to try and justify what they are doing to try to keep them sane, but in the wrong way. SO to blame Islam is ludicrous.
jumpingjesusholycow
This is rather amazing :smile: Passive, peaceful protest in probably the most profound way. Very unexpected considering the currently sociological climate in America (and Kentucky of all places).

For once, they're actually bothering to READ the Quran. Disagree with it/Agree with it/Hate it/Love it, at least they're bothering to actually read the Quran for once.

Why don't they read Harry Potter instead? It's also based on a fantasy.
Remarqable M
do you think they actually commited the crimes because of Islam? LOL

they commited country the crime because America invaded their country, not because of Islam, most of these men ignored the rules of jihad which is not to kill any civilians who are unharmed. These terrorist used Islam to try and justify what they are doing to try to keep them sane, but in the wrong way. SO to blame Islam is ludicrous.

Their country? Which country did the US invade?
Stalin
Their country? Which country did the US invade?

Afghanistan.
Reply 13
Remarqable M
they commited the crime because America invaded their country, not because of Islam[

Wtf? The men who carried out 9/11 were, as far as I know, Saudis.

Remarqable M
these men ignored the rules of jihad which is not to kill any civilians who are unharmed.

I assume you mean 'unarmed', yes? Anyway, different people interpret things differently. Who is to say that their interpretation is wrong and yours is right?
Remarqable M
These terrorist used Islam to try and justify what they are doing to try to keep them sane, but in the wrong way. SO to blame Islam is ludicrous.

Ultimately, I am blaming religion and religious people. Of course, Islam is a particularly nasty religion*, but religion generally is responsible.

*If you actually read the Quran, it is basically a hate book against all non-Muslims.
Stalin
A book which has killed millions of people? Yes, every Qur'an should be burnt, as should every Bible. I'm against religion and Islam is not an exception.

Never, in my entire life have I ever heard anyone say anything so monumentally moronic.

NEWSFLASH: Books can't kill people.
Remarqable M
Afghanistan.

The US invaded Afghanistan because of 9/11. :smile:
jumpingjesusholycow
Never, in my entire life have I ever heard anyone say anything so monumentally moronic.

NEWSFLASH: Books can't kill people.

The people it has influenced have killed a lot of people. Harry Potter hasn't quite had the same effect though, funny that, isn't it?
Stalin
Why don't they read Harry Potter instead? It's also based on a fantasy.

Well there aren't any religious followers of the Harry Potter books, but if it promoted religious understanding, then sure. I'd be all for that :smile:
Reply 18
jumpingjesusholycow
Books can't kill people.

A book's content can incite hatred and violence.
Reply 19
Stalin

Islamic Jihad was the primary motivation of the perpetrators. Obviously Islamic fundamentalism DID cause 9/11, let's be clear about that.

Although that should be no reason to go around burning Korans and what this man is doing is totally idiotic.

Latest

Trending

Trending