The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleekchic
I've only just found this thread. I'm a second year at Exeter and from all the lectures and things, it looks like Land and Jurisprudence might be the bane of my life this year. Last year it was Contract. :dry:

Hey again :smile:

I thought Jurisprudence was a fun subject (:awesome:) no cases to memorise(?) and it being the "philosophy of Law". :moon:
Reply 301
I've only just found this thread. I'm a second year at Exeter and from all the lectures and things, it looks like Land and Jurisprudence might be the bane of my life this year. Last year it was Contract. :dry:

Land (Property as we tended to call it) is, indeed, awful.

Jurisprudence doesn't seem too far removed from the Philosophy I did at A level thus far, so I'm hoping that and the lack of cases make it vaguely enjoyable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Filling out the "Assignment Submission Front Cover Form" for this Contract assignment and actually ****ting myself wondering if I ticked all these boxes for my last assignment that I handed in. Surely the woman (who was new) wouldn't have accepted the assignment if the boxes (I have not plagiarised etc) had not been ticked. Self-doubts...:unsure:

Original post by Celtic_Anthony
There are a few cases (Brown v Board and major cases like that), but the things you have to memorise are worse than cases, trust me. Whilst it's an enjoyable subject, immensely, trying to read, understand and remember the theories of interpretation of Dworkin, Hume, Locke etc is pretty tough going.

Studying the relationship between law and politics (especially Marxist theories of Jurisprudence) is really interesting though, gets you thinking.

Doesn't deter me, can't wait. :teeth: Although our module has been given a weird name instead of "Jurisprudence". :colonhash: Skimmed past a few "Jurisprudence" books in the law library a week ago, massive things. :coma:

What has been your favourite module so far in your course?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by thejonsmith

Jurisprudence doesn't seem too far removed from the Philosophy I did at A level thus far, so I'm hoping that and the lack of cases make it vaguely enjoyable.

Jurisprudence was one of many things that made me inclined to do Law over Law & Philosophy (joint honours).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 304
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Skimmed past a few "Jurisprudence" books in the law library a week ago, massive things. :coma:

You can get Jurisprudence books?

For us, the only things available are "introductory" books and texts such as Hart, Dworkin or Raz's theories.

Jurisprudence was one of many things that made me inclined to do Law over Law & Philosophy (joint honours).

Law and Philosophy would be far too hardcore as joint honours.

Better to do Law then Philosophy or Philosophy then a law conversion course (though every module in a year would be equally awful). Or just decide that law's what you want to do anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Actually I was kind of pissed off at Hobbes when I wrote that post last night, Jurispridence is pretty awesome and I'm really enjoying it, except for all the reading. I still have no idea what the exam will be like but there's a lot of reading involved for something that's only a half module, although I still haven't come across any cases.

There are Jurisprudence books like Simmonds: Central Issues in Jurisprudence and Bix: Jurisprudence Theory and Context.

I really need to get started on my Tort and EU essays. :sad:
Reply 306
Actually I was kind of pissed off at Hobbes when I wrote that post last night, Jurispridence is pretty awesome and I'm really enjoying it, except for all the reading. I still have no idea what the exam will be like but there's a lot of reading involved for something that's only a half module, although I still haven't come across any cases.

There are Jurisprudence books like Simmonds: Central Issues in Jurisprudence and Bix: Jurisprudence Theory and Context.

I really need to get started on my Tort and EU essays. :sad:

We have an EU essay already!?!

EDIT: I'm not being creepy, I saw your post above which said you were a 2nd year at Exeter too.
Original post by KirstyK
We have an EU essay already!?!

EDIT: I'm not being creepy, I saw your post above which said you were a 2nd year at Exeter too.

Probably different campuses but the EU essay was placed on ele sometime last week. :dontknow:
Extremely retarded question: is there any route in law that can let you have "Dr" next to your name? :awesome: Or is it only Science related PhDs ?

Original post by thejonsmith
You can get Jurisprudence books?

For us, the only things available are "introductory" books and texts such as Hart, Dworkin or Raz's theories.

Indeed. Shelves of chunky (700-1000 page) books entitled Jurisprudence or some related title. :coma:

Law and Philosophy would be far too hardcore as joint honours.

Better to do Law then Philosophy or Philosophy then a law conversion course (though every module in a year would be equally awful). Or just decide that law's what you want to do anyway.

Philosophy, for me at least, would be one of those courses I would have pursued purely for enjoyment (not that I don't enjoy law). Is it possible to do a Masters in Philosophy after Law? Sorry I know very little on the routes you can take after you graduate. :redface:

Must do research like a good lawyer. :work:
Reply 309
Extremely retarded question: is there any route in law that can let you have "Dr" next to your name? :awesome: Or is it only Science related PhDs ?

Indeed. Shelves of chunky (700-1000 page) books entitled Jurisprudence or some related title. :coma:

Philosophy, for me at least, would be one of those courses I would have pursued purely for enjoyment (not that I don't enjoy law). Is it possible to do a Masters in Philosophy after Law? Sorry I know very little on the routes you can take after you graduate. :redface:

Any PhD, technically, allows you to give yourself the initials "Dr", I believe.

Of course - a lot of people tend to do a Masters in Philosophy as they're not sure of the route to take into employment. When in doubt, get more academic qualifications.
(edited 13 years ago)
Have 2 tutorials work to do by tonight (tutorials are tomorrow) and feel really sleepy. :yawn:

:emo:
Original post by G8D
Wing it.

Must. Resist.

Also: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/arcade.php?&do=viewtourney&tid=5

Victory will be mine. :king1:
(edited 13 years ago)
Fml. :colonhash: Please give me someone crap to play against. C274 :emo:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Fail. Only got 2 attempts in.
TSR lagged and I had to click play twice. It counted it as a 0 score :nothing:

Still got 71k but :biggrin:

I'm out. You, however, have competition. :holmes:
Reply 314
Oh sup guys...

Great idea this is, I hadn't even seen it until today lol.

So I'll pretend this is still page 1: I'm a first year doing law at Cambridge, and it's ****ing intense but really enjoyable. :smile:
anyone else think property law is boring as all hell?
Reply 316
Labour law is the bane of my life. :emo:

Ape Gone Insane
Robot Unicorn Attack

I'm 2nd. :proud:
Reply 317
I'm enjoying it, although that might just be because it's not International Private Law...

The reading is monumental for every seminar - the joys of having a two hour weekly seminar and no lectures. :sigh:

Likewise, a 1200 page textbook largely focused on the contract of employment doesn't bode well.
Reply 318
Ah, I'm not doing it at honours (I've got those 2 hour weekly seminars with monumental reading for Intellectual Property Law and Commercial Banking ) :colondollar:

Ah, of course, the Scottish additional year for honours.

IP isn't so bad for me because it's just a one hour tutorial and a two hour lecture per week.
Got our LMS assignment marks back, our first proper submitted work. Got a B1 which I guess, in some way, translates into 2.i? Got penalised for stupid stuff like not spelling judgement as "judgment" which I found out today was the legal spelling for it. :sigh:

:emo:
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending